Latex/polyfoam construction for side sleepers

Hi there

I’ve done a lot of reading on this forum and it truly is a great resource. I have been looking into getting a latex mattress for myself and my wife. I’m 5’8 210lbs and she’s 5’7 170 lbs. We both sleep on our sides.

We have tried various latex mattresses in stores and found some really well priced ones locally (Edmonton AB) that deal Noizzless mattresses which I understand are made by Nature’s Embrace out of BC.

They didn’t have the exact construction that worked for us but are working with us to custom order something that might work. As a reference, we have tried a couple different ones locally that seemed pretty good.

One was a 10" mattress with 4" of 24 ILD talalay with a 3" 5lb poly base at 36ILD and a 3" 2.5lb poly layer at around 36-40 ILD. The other was also a 10" mattress with 4" of around 28-30 talalay with a 6" layer of 2.2lb polyfoam at around 36 ILD. Both of these were suitable for us but perhaps the second mattress with the 28ILD top was a bit firm as my shoulders didn’t sink in quite enough.

I got a quote from the store we are working with here to make up a mattress as follows (my own design):

top 3" talalay mid 20 ILD (~25)
middle 3" talalay medium (30-35 ILD)
bottom 6" HR 2.5lb foam (40+ ILD)

It is slightly different than what we tried but from my research it seems like this might be able to work out.

Any feedback from anyone around our size if these medium toppers with a little bit firmer middle with a firm base has a good chance of working out?

Thanks in advance

Hi ctting,

I would be very cautious about using anyone else’s experience or recommendations as a reliable indication of what you may feel on the same mattress because a mattress that feels too firm to one person can feel too soft to someone else (and vice versa) and a mattress that is a good match for one person or even a group of people in terms of PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on … even if they have a similar body type or sleeping style (see post #13 here). In the end the only reliable way to know with any certainty whether a mattress is a good match for you would be based on your own personal testing or actual sleeping experience.

Only you can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to tell you whether a specific mattress or design will work well for you with any certainty based on specs (either yours or a mattress), health conditions, individual circumstances, or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is also more about the different ways to choose a mattress (either locally or online) that is the most suitable “match” for your specific needs and preferences and how to identify and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them in post #2 here … and using other people’s experiences as a guideline for your own can be among the most unreliable ways to choose a mattress.

Phoenix