Latex "pushback"?

After doing more reading this morning it seems to me that like any other foam experience I’ve had, this may be about having that top softer support layer be thinner than the 3" it is now.
I will see what the owner thinks about this and if he has any thinner layers.

[quote=“LookingNow” post=33738]Thanks, CentralPA!

I do wish I had someone her to check my alignment.

Are your layers 3" each?

Feel better .[/quote]

Yes my layers are 3" each.

Also is your mattress talalay or dunlop? I read somewhere and Phoenix can correct me that dunlop can feel slightly firmer when flipped over. So if your medium layer is dunlop and you flip it over, it might firm up enough to fit the difference of the F/M/F and the F/F/M you have been trying out.

Phoenix please correct me if I misinterpreted this from what I had read earlier….

That makes a lot of sense actually.

It’s continuous pour Dunlop.

When you say “flipped over” do you mean “smooth side up”? That side does feel firmer.

Since the softer layer on top was way too soft for me, I already changed it back to F, M, F for tonight. But I think I will do what you suggest (oppositely) and put that top Firm layer “smooth side down” and see if that softens up this configuration.

If that doesn’t work I will try F,M (2 layers only) with the M layer on top - and smooth side up - as you suggest.
Thanks again.

Hi CentralPA and LookingNow,

The continuous pour process has less settling of the latex particles so there may not be as much difference between the top and bottom firmness as molded Dunlop but the “skin” side may be a little firmer and it’s certainly worth a try.

Phoenix

Hola Phoenix

When I turned it just now the “skin” side felt just that - a little firmer.
Thanks

Did you say you want to build an adjustable fill pillow yourself? With natural fills?

We sell all our fills by the pound with pillow cases separate or in a kit with all the supplies together. Our Manufacturer Memberships :: The Mattress Underground See “supplies” for by the lb. loose fills.

Our fills are shredded natural latex, millet hulls, kapok fiber. All of them are mold and mildew resistant, non habitable for dustmites. And each pillow has a very different feel to it.

Deborah

Hi diynaturalbedding,

For some reason I neglected to add you in the DIY pillow supplier links in post #8 here which in turn is linked in the pillow thread.

As you can see the oversight is now corrected … thanks for the reminder :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks Deborah!
Once I get my bed all squared away I’ll look at that again.

I now completely understand what Phoenix means about people having different ideas of what “soft” and “firm” are. Having tried the very same mattress that LookingNow has , i would never think of it as being too soft (it was a comfortable firm for me) . But for her it is too soft of a firm. Its funny because i was happy to have found a latex that had a firmer feel overall than what i was finding elsewhere (albeit not many), so to hear it being described as yet too soft brings home Phoenix’s points on the difficulty of comparing firmness levels based on an individuals perceptions.

Lookingnow, did you try the the Firm, Firm, Firm configuration…was it too firm for you in the showroom? Since you do sleep on your side as well, i can see how maybe that setup couldve been overlooked.

Hey brc
Good to see you

I’m so glad you like your mattress. And thank you for posting this because it implies to me that perhaps many other latexes out there are not as “sturdy” as the ones we got from Spindle. I knew it was a good product; it’s “attractive” if you will but I had nothing to compare it to. Validates it was a good choice for me.

It could be that I am lighter in weight than you? I’m 130 lbs. so maybe you compress the mattress more and feel the harder bottom layers more than I do.

I am a petite woman also so 3" of M foam might be like an ocean to me whereas it could be more like a pond to you.

I did not hear that firmnesses feel that different to people but I can see how this can really be so specific.

May I ask how tall you are and if your body conforms to the zoning well? Do your hips rest on the firmer small holes or beneath that section on the larger softer part of the layer?

Thanks!

Oh - yes I tried the FFF and it seemed too firm in the showroom for me.
I’m really comfortable somewhere in between the M & F which is why I have the M in the center of the 2 F layers
I’ll see what happens if I switch them out for monozoned layers

Hi LookingNow, i actually have not had the chance to pull the trigger and buy my mattress yet, but hoping to by end of this week.
You know, i didnt even realize the latex had zoning but im glad to hear that it does. I am 5’3" as well but im heavier than you at 160lbs. My weight is evenly proportioned though so i dont have a particular part of me that is alot heavier than another. Not sure if this is why i felt like the FFM was a comfortable firm to me…for me, i know i would not like it firmer because i also veered equally towards the FMM. Like you said, you need a specific firmness for your stomach sleeping which i think can make things tricky it seems.

As far as different latex models, i wish i could tell you i tried many, but i only experienced talalay at a local manufacturer which to me was a much bouncier type of latex. I also tried whatever type is in the Nature’s Rest latex mattresses (they dont say which latex is used) at Cardi’s furniture, but it felt bouncy too. So, when i layed on Spindles continuous Dunlop, i was relieved to feel softness without feeling a jello-like sensation on top, which to me gave them a firmer, less “bouncy” feel than i had previously experienced.

Ah. Very interesting.
Yes I read the talalay is bouncier and I didn’t really like the sounds of that.

This post has been on my mind.
The truth is, if I were to purchase a latex pillow I would be loyal to Spindle, especially after all the hard work Neal is doing for me.
Amen. :slight_smile:

[quote=“brc722” post=33622]Did you know Spindle offers adjustable shredded latex pillows as well? Neal explained to me that they come overfilled and then you can remove the fill to your comfort level. The thing is, i recall you saying you were chemically-sensitive, so you should know that they use a combo of their natural and synthetic latex inside the pillow. Perhaps one could be customized for you…i dont know.

Ive had this problem with my neck too and i have found it always to be a pillow issue. Like you, i fall asleep in one position(my side), then end up on my back. So, in trying many different type of pillows, i discovered some side pillows have so much loft, that my head is too high when im on my back. If the pillow is too low or mushy when on my side, then my neck will definitely start hurting. It can be a real nuisance! I have found using a medium loft pillow thats firm is working for me right now bc it isnt too huge for when im on my back and it being firm, it keeps my head up to be in alignment when on my side. I know stomache sleepers require flatter pillows so thats tough to combine with side sleeping! I myself am considering ordering a pillow with my order from Spindle bc i used one at there and i found it relatively easy to reshape and use as i needed, although it was limited use of course.

Good luck![/quote]

Update:
After two nights of sleeping sideways on my bed (to get the feel of unizone or monozone latex), I immediately felt a difference.
The first night I woke up with zero back/body pain (I don’t have back problems anyway) and felt quite refreshed! The 2nd night was a little less comfortable but mostly for different reasons, but I do want to pay attention to what I felt. I felt I was “sinking in” to the mattress just a little, and that it was a little bit “flat” or hard feeling. Is this why they zone Dunlop continuous pour - to give it more “life”? It could also be an inaccurate perception on my part after not giving it more than a few nights. I felt that a little bit the first night too but it was much better than all my recent experiences with sleeping! I was especially comfortable where the larger holes on the zoning were (remember I was sleeping across the bed.) This combination was F,M,F.

What I want to report to Neal in our “check-back” this morning is that I seem to like the dominating layer effect OR I should consider a 2" layer of M above the F,F. I’m a lighter weight stomach sleeper and prefer the feeling of sleeping ON the mattress rather than IN it.

Stomach and side sleeping has always brought me back to this simple rule no matter what the material is (and I forget it sometimes!): “As thin and firm as possible while still getting pressure relief for shoulders.” (quoted from another post on this site.)

I’ll be back to update and if anyone has instinctive thoughts, please feel free to share!

Hi LookingNow,

You’re doing exactly what I would be doing which is working with a great manufacturer (who is going out of their way to make sure you are satisfied).

I’m looking forward to your updates :slight_smile:

Phoenix