Latex Questions SleepEZ vs Magic Sleeper

Ok so my wife and I seem to have narrowed down my choices between a SleepEZ 10,000 and a Magic Sleeper.

Differences include from top down for both as follows
SleepEZ
Topper
[li]Cotton quilted to wool[/li]
[li]3 inch latex of choice[/li]
Mattress 10,000 10"
[li]Layer A 3"[/li]
[li]Layer B 3"[/li]
[li]Layer C 3"[/li]

Magic Sleeper
Topper
[li]3 inch latex of choice[/li]
Mattreess 12"
[li]Cotton quilted to wool 1" on top 1" on bottom[/li]
[li]Layer A 2"[/li]
[li]Layer B 2"[/li]
[li]Layer C 6"[/li]

As I know Phoenix would say we have narrowed it down to good and good so it becomes a matter of preference. However I still have a couple of questions if someone could help.

If the SleepEZ layers B and C would be the same firmness, would that be the same as having a 6" layer as in the Magic Sleeper?
If you had a 2" and 2" in the same firmness would that also be equal to having the same firmness as having a solid piece of 4" latex?

Would the Magic Sleeper wear better over time having a solid 6" core vs having a different firmnesses in layer B and layer C of the SleepEZ?

Would both of the beds be rotatable/flippable to help wear and tear for overtime?

Would both of the cores in these beds hold up as well or better than innersprings? I am familiar with innersprings and foam. I am not as familiar with the latex? I know Phoenix indicates that the core if good material is used is usually not a weak link, however I am wondering more on a durability standpoint.

My wife and I tried a Savvy Rest mattress again today and when I was looking at the latex (see picture below) I noticed that the holes in the latex were spaced differently. Would this be a type of zoning for this latex? NOTE Cannot attach photo Phoenix I emailed the photo to you can you please attach?

Any thoughts on the questions above would be greatly appreciated.

Hi CentralPA,

If they were the same type and blend of latex and both 3" layers were the same firmness level as the 6" layer they would be closely comparable yes but the comfort layers in both mattresses are different thicknesses (and possibly different firmness levels) so this would have an even bigger effect on how the mattresses compared.

Once again they would be close if the type and blend of the latex was the same and they were all the same firmness level but the two 2" layers would react a little bit more independently than a single 4" comfort layer so they would “act” a little bit softer in theory although some people may feel this and some may not (and of course any difference in the covers or quilting will also have an effect).

Not to any meaningful degree no. The interacting effect of all the other layers and components and the firmness levels of each would have a bigger effect on durability than any difference between two 3" layers and a single 6" layer. The deeper layers aren’t usually the weak link of a mattress in terms of durability in any case.

Both can be rotated but a mattress that is one sided can’t be “flipped” although if the layers can be accessed inside a zip cover they can be removed and flipped individually and then put back in the cover which can have a small effect on durability (although not as much as flipping the complete mattress where the top layer goes to the bottom).

In practical terms they would be fairly comparable because the support layers are not compressed as much and aren’t subject to as much wear and tear as the comfort layers (which are the weak link in terms of the durability of the mattress). The useful life of a mattress also isn’t only affected by the relative durability of individual layers or components (especially if they’re deeper in the mattress) but if you were comparing “most” latex to “most” innersprings then in very general terms latex would probably be more durable.

I’ve attached the photo to your post.

It could be zoning yes but the holes are the same size and in the same pattern and pincores don’t go all the way through a layer so it could also be that the layer was cut from a part of the core where some of the holes don’t penetrate the top of that part of the core (there are some shadows where the holes seem to be under a layer of latex). I didn’t think that Savvy Rest used zoned latex but manufacturers can also make changes in their materials or design from time to time.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for your input it is greatly appreciated. You also confirmed some of my suspicions to my questions above. As I mentioned my wife and I retried the SR today and spent quite some time on it trying to make sure it seemed to fit our PPP. As mentioned in some of our other posts the Harmony Topper really changed the feel of the bed.

The other question I have does going from Organic Latex to non organic change the feel at all if all else was kept the same? Also I have come to understand that Organic latex will wear better or have a longer life expectancy than non organic latex except when getting into very soft talalay in which then synthetic may be a little better. Am I understanding this correctly? Also would it warrant a consideration for insignificant cost difference or is this just pretty much personal preference?

Hi CentralPA,

No … if the type and blend of the latex was the same then an organic certification wouldn’t change anything about the material. There is more about organic latex in post #6 here and organic certifications in post #2 here. The certification is costly and adds to the cost of the 100% natural Dunlop that is being certified but outside of the fact that it is certified there is really no difference between the materials.

The only type of latex that has an organic certification is 100% natural Dunlop and if everything else was the same then there would be no difference in durability between 100% natural Dunlop and the same 100% natural Dunlop that had an organic certification.

There is no organic Talalay latex … only 100% natural without an organic certification.

I think the main reason that people would choose organic Dunlop would be for personal reasons and because they would feel more comfortable knowing that the raw latex was produced on an organic farm using organic farming methods and that the latex core was manufactured using organic certified facilities and methods.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I think I misused the terminology that is so often used to confuse the consumer.

I should of said Natural latex rather then Organic…. Thanks!