Latex Questions

Hi Allianna,

If your doctor won’t provide you with a prescription for a mattress without a fire barrier then I would see a different licensed health professional such as a chiropractor or naturopath who will provide it for you. Most manufacturers will help you find a licensed health professional who will give you the prescription that you need. There are also many other latex manufacturers that use fire retardant layers such as wool that are completely “safe” to pass the fire regulations as well (see post #2 here).

If you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own mattress out of separate components and a separate cover then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

If you decide to take on the challenge then I would either use the specs (if they are available) of a mattress that you have tested and confirmed is a good match for you in terms of PPP as a reference point (the same type and blend of latex in the same thickness and firmness levels and a very similar cover which can also make a significant difference to the feel and performance of a mattress) or use a “bottom up” approach (see post #2 here).

If the Dunlop latex in the mattress you tested is 100% natural latex from Latexco then it’s most likely made by Latex Green. You can see the firmness/density ratings for Latex Green in post #2 here. If you buy the same type and blend of latex in the same layer thicknesses and the same density and use a very similar cover then your mattress “as a whole” would also be very similar (although I would be aware that Dunlop latex can very in its firmness ratings and may be a little softer or firmer than the mattress you tried). Other manufacturers that also make 100% natural latex that is poured in a mold that is the same density would also have a similar firmness. It’s nice to see that the store you are dealing with lists their ILD range and firmness ratings accurately.

If the type or blend or the density of latex is different then whether you will feel the difference will depend on your sensitivity and on “how much” it is different. In comfort layers most people wouldn’t feel much difference with an ILD difference of 3 or less which is inside the normal variance of Dunlop anyway (assuming that the ILD is listed accurately) but once again I would keep in mind that there is always a “normal” ILD variation in latex so if you choose a layer that is rated as say 3 ILD firmer (again assuming that the ILD ratings are accurate and comparable) and it is also in the opposite end of the range than the mattress you tried then there may be enough of a difference that you may feel it. The same would be true for variations in the deeper layers although they would tend to be a little less noticeable for most people. Multiple differences in a mattress can either cancel each other out or be cumulative in their effect.

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” anther one in post #9 here but if there are several differences between two mattresses then the cumulative effects would be unpredictable and will depend on where you are in the “princess and the pea” to “I can sleep on anything” range and the only way to know whether you would notice a meaningful difference in “real life” would be based on your actual sleeping experience. If you can’t match the “blueprint” you are working with exactly … and assuming that the reference mattress you are using really is the best match for you in terms of PPP compared to another mattress that is different … then the exchange and return policy of the store you are dealing with would become a more important part of the “value” of your purchase so you have good options available if the layers you choose don’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

Phoenix