Latex Recommendation in NW Michigan?

Hi PhilinNMI,

I think in cases like yours where there is some urgency and not enough time to do enough research … the choice of outlet can be just as important as the choice of mattress. Finding an outlet that carries a good selection of good quality and value mattresses and where the people “know their stuff” and can help fit you to a mattress that best meets your long term needs and preferences in your budget range can lead to much better choices.

I did a bit of research in your area and these are the better options that I’m aware of. Of course I don’t know these well from a single conversation … they are the ones that most impressed me in terms of their value, selection, and knowledge.

http://www.vandrie.com/ Traverse city, Cadillac, Big Rapids, Houghton Lake, MI. I talked with Rita here and you are probably already aware of them and know they carry Capitol bedding mattresses (along with Simmons and Tempurpedic which I would completely ignore). IMO, Capitol bedding is one of the better manufacturers in the country in terms of providing meaningful specs about all their mattresses. they use higher than average quality materials in their mattresses which would give them better value. I wish every mattress manufacturer did as well as they did in this department (I actually called them just to tell them how impressed I was with their updated website and they said there was “more to come” as they continue their website project).

The specific mattress you linked to uses 4 lb memory foam and 1.8 lb density base foam which are both good but not the best quality/durability materials and the “value” would depend on the price they are charging. 4 lb memory foam tends to be more responsive and more breathable and cooler than many higher density memory foams and they are often preferred for this reason even though they will be less durable than higher density memory foam. 1.8 lb polyfoam is certainly suitable for use in a base layer.

I should mention though that the base layer has a low ILD (firmness level) and that base layers are usually firmer than this one (typical support layers are around 28 on the soft side and go up into the 40’s or sometimes higher). This is not good or bad … but just a caution to make sure that your alignment is good when you test this mattress because a softer support layer in combination with 3" of memory foam may allow your heavier parts to sink in too deeply. This could also be a little risky for stomach sleeping which generally can use a thinner comfort layer and a firmer support layer to prevent the hammocking (and back issues) that is so common for stomach sleepers. Lighter side sleepers may do well with this mattress because it is soft and “cushy” … but again theory is not as “accurate” as your personal experience. Just make sure you are testing specifically for alignment in all your sleeping positions and not just for a subjective sense of “comfort” which may not tellyou how well this mattress may work for you in the long term.

http://www.tcbedrooms.com/index.php Traverse city, MI. They sell their own house brand (which is their own design) made by Clare Bedding (a Restonic licensee which I like) and this includes Talalay latex and latex hybrid mattresses. I talked with Jim here and he is both knowledgeable and helpful and happy to provide any specs you may want (as long as they are given to him). I would focus on their Michigan mattress line here.

http://www.edwardsfurnishings.com/bedding/ Suttons Bay, MI. They carry Lady Americana and Beds By Design. Lady Americana can also have better than average materials and value (depending on the store) and Beds by Design which are very high quality mattresses that use a firm innerspring with layers of cotton, latex, high density polyfoam and wool on both sides (they are two sided). They also make their own true boxsprings that go with them.

http://www.gogreenisland.com/index.php?cPath=1_5_6_54 Traverse City, MI. They carry Vivetique which makes a range of latex, innerspring, and natural fiber mattresses and Savvy Rest which are component latex mattresses where you can choose your own layers. They both make high quality mattresses but again the prices may be more than you are comfortable with.

http://www.bedsbydesign.com/ Factory direct manufacturer in Harbor Springs, MI. They make a range of two sided mattresses that use a firm innerspring with layers of cotton, wool, high density polyfoam, and latex on each side and make their own true box springs as well. They also make custom sizes and custom designs and can make custom adjustments to your mattress if it needs to be a little softer or firmer after a purchase. Their mattresses are also inner and outer tufted which adds to the quality and durability of the mattress as well. They are in a higher budget range but would make good value choices because of the quality and durability of their materials and construction.

If I was in your shoes … these are the outlets that I would focus my attention on and that have the best odds of buying a high quality and value mattress and getting helpful information about what is in the mattress you are considering (which is the only way to know the quality and the value of a mattress).

There are many different quality levels of foam and they can range from being more durable than an innerspring all the way to being for temporary use only. The key is to know the difference and this is where knowing the density of the foam is so important. It’s usually the upper layers of a mattress that softens first and makes a mattress unsuitable for sleeping on (softening isn’t covered by a warranty) and most mattress support cores (whether they are polyfoam, latex, or an innerspring) will outlast the comfort layers (which are the weak link in most mattresses). Latex is the most durable of all the foams whether it is in the comfort layers or in the support core.

The higher priced Sertas only have a bit of latex and would still be subject to the softening of the type of gel foam and other foams they use in their comfort layers. I would not recommend any of them as being good value. You can read a bit more about some of the lineup in post #11 here.

Because you are somewhat in a hurry … you really won’t have the time to do the research that would be best and I would talk to the outlets I mentioned on the phone in detail about your needs and preferences … narrow down the choices you have that may be suitable at each outlet, and then pick the best 2 or 3 of them and rely on your sense of the knowledge of the person that was helping you to make a decision (along of course with budget considerations). If they are knowledgeable and helpful and committed to helping you make your best decision … then some time on the phone can save you a lot of time in the store.

Phoenix