Latex Sleeping Hot

I just returned Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme after two days. I couldn’t believe how hot it got. felt like I was sleeping on a heating pad. 2nd night I slept in my old u shaped spring bed. I was considering latex but pull the trigger on the Tempurpedic because of convenience of local sleep train. Thankfully they took it back.

My major concern with buying online is that ill get another little oven again and have to ship it back. That seems like a major pain. Sleeping hot is deal breaker no matter how comfortable the bed is. I’ve read that latex can also be warm. I called Foam Sweet Foam the other day and asked the guy about this and he said he was shocked that he has never heard that before. I find that heard to believe. I told the guy to google it. Kind of turned me off dealing with them when I buy. I’m leaning towards SleepEZ 13000. We have a local latex company in San Rafael but sells 9 inches of latex for $3600-The Natural Mattress store. Seems high for 9. I would prefer local but 12 inches at SleepEZ is less.

So I have a few questions:

I would like to hear some honest experiences in regards to latex sleeping hot. Which is generally cooler, Talay or Dunlup?

Will latex work with this type of bed?

http://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/bedroom/beds/webster-bed#pr-header-back-to-top-link

Thanks All.

Hi Popeye,

You can read more about all the factors that combine together to affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress (besides just the foam that is used in the comfort layers) in post #2 here. Any foam can sleep hot for some people depending on all the other factors that can be involved in sleeping temperature (and whether they are closer to the “oven or iceberg” end of the range).

Latex as a foam category is generally the most breathable of all the foam materials followed by polyfoam followed by memory foam. Talalay is generally more breathable than Dunlop but the other layers and components in your sleeping system (including the cover, the quilting material, your mattress protector, any mattress pad you use, and your sheets and bedding) will all play a role in how hot any mattress sleeps for any particular person. Talalay also has a different “feel” than Dunlop (see post #7 here) so the choice between them would be based on personal preference.

In other words … those who tell you that “latex sleeps hot” don’t generally have a good understanding of all the factors involved in temperature regulation, may not know all the specifics of their mattress (many so called “latex” mattresses only have a relatively thin layer of latex buried inside the mattress so they may not be sleeping on latex at all), or may just be “selling” a different type of mattress. I would ask them “compared to what?”.

Most people have no issues with temperature on latex but there are always exceptions depending on the person, the type and firmness of the latex, and all the materials or fabrics that are on top of the latex.

There is more about the different types of foundations or platform beds that work best with different types of mattresses in the foundation post here (and the links to the two other posts in the second paragraph). According to the Q & A for the bed you linked … the slats are 4 1/4" apart which would be wider than the “less than 3” I would suggest for an all latex mattress but would be fine for a latex/polyfoam hybrid as long as the bed has good center support to the floor.

From a materials or “commodity” point of view … this is certainly more costly than other latex mattresses that use a similar amount and type of latex but the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) followed by the quality of the materials (their mattresses use high quality materials and don’t have any “weak links” in their design), followed by all the other parts of your “personal value equation” that are most important to you. For most people who are comfortable with an online purchase … SleepEz would certainly be better “value”.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the San Rafael and San Francisco areas are listed in post #2 here. You have some good options in the area.

Phoenix

Last night I slept on my dunlop continuous pour topper (3", Medium firmness) and was really warm. Not the first time.
I am trying different toppers now and talalay is next. It will be thinner too.
I was thinking this morning that I might put it in a cotton/wool cover. After reading the links above I think that will help.

I just got an Organic Latex Mattress and I find it excellent! I used to have a temperpedic but I actually love the organic brands betters. I think they last longer and feel really really comfortable. It’s one of the best things I’ve ever purchased- Check them out Best Organic Mattresses They’re excellent quality and get service! They also have a line of organic baby products! Best Organic Baby Mattresses

I have a CozyPure Dunlop mattress with the LaNoodle topper and their Organic Cotton Matelasse Knit Mattress Protector, No temperature problems at all. Cool in the summer, warm in the winter. The mattress has holes in each layer, even the thin top layer for air circulation.

I have slept on Tempurpedic mattresses, and I, too, was extremely warm, particularly in summer. Helps to have a cover that breaths, too.

(Not affiliated with CozyPure in any way.)