Latex smell - does it ever go away?

To throw in a personal experience: I had a customer who specifically asked for organic natural latex. So I ordered two pieces, one for her and one for my stock. When I unwrapped my piece, it had a very strong processing smell to it, much more so than my regular natural latex. What could I do but let it sit. After a week or two, the smell could only be noticed when I put my nose to it. After three or four weeks, I couldnā€™t even smell which piece it was and had to refer to its label.

Interesting. Thanks for the info in this.

I built my own using the LI talatech slabs you mentioned (at a much lower price I might add) and neither my wife nor I have any problem with smells. In fact, there never was any even when I unboxed and unwrapped the individual slabs from their shrink wrap. Hereā€™s me and a friend filling the encasement with the 3 slabs. A detailed description of what I used is on page 3.
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/mattress-cover

I would think that the pure ā€œnaturalā€ latex would off gas compared to the blend. Youā€™re much better off going with the synthetic/natural blend latex aka ā€˜talatechā€™ for many reasons - durability, no smell, lower price. LI makes a very high quality, consistent, quality controlled product.

Good luck,
Mark

I have some issues with perfumes and other chemical odors also. I have 100% natural talalay and I do get a reaction in my nose, feels like burning, and sometimes a headache when I am switching layers around. I then vacuum the entire room and wash my hands well, and open windows after I am finished. Particles get into the air from the all natural. Bought this latex in November and I still have a slight reaction from it. I have a mostly synthetic dunlop layer from Spindle that does not smell and I do not believe it affects me. I think that if you buy latex and leave it intact in the mattress encasement, you probably wonā€™t smell it after a month or so or have the reactions that I have when touching and switching layers. That being said, if you want latex, I would advise you to make a careful selection from a local store, as Phoenix suggests, so you wonā€™t have to deal with opening up the mattress and exposing yourself to the latex. This is just my personal experienceā€¦ but I am not that chemically sensitive, mostly to perfumes. ( my natural talalay is from Latex International)

Your best resource is to go straight to the Latex International manufacturer with your questions - KTT Enterprises. Talk to Dick or Maureen Coffey. They make/sell this stuff and will not hesitate to steer you away from the so called ā€œnaturalā€ to the talatech blend.

Mark in Texas. Exactly where did you buy the LI talatech 3 inch slabs? The company in Connecticut doesnā€™t seem to sell mattresses directly. Just latex pillows.

Hi Mark in Texas,

Just for the sake of clarity and accuracy ā€¦ KTT is not Latex International.

Phoenix

Hi John Smith,

Post #4 here includes some of the better sources for latex layers Iā€™m aware of.

Mark in Texas bought his from KTT Enterprises who sells latex layers at good prices so they are a good source for those who have the confidence to build a DIY mattress and know the type, thickness, and firmness of the latex layers and the cover that will work best for them.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix! Technically you may be right if you want to get into the executive thingie, but Bill Coffey, Dickā€™s father/chemist, started the company, so I consider them (Dick, Nancy, and Maureen Coffey) Latex International. Dick and his wife are co-owners and Dick sits on the board.

Dick is often in the plant checking on this and that, so itā€™s obvious to me that heā€™s an insider. Doesnā€™t really matter, KTT has the best prices on their LI latex. Hereā€™s their card which does say they are a manufacturer and supplier, factory showroom, etc.
http://www.latexfoam.com/about/

KTT Enterprises. Shipping to Texas wasnā€™t cheap but the quality and service was excellent. Iā€™ve got more money than sense so Iā€™ll soon be adding a 2" 14 ILD topper to the mattress. It will go under a very stretchy, thin cotton knit mattress cover and fitted sheet. If that doesnā€™t get me that in-cloud-feeling, nothing will. Iā€™ll report back in a few days.

I got samples of 14 ILD, 19, and 24 from them too. Placing a hand on top of a sample is nothing like sleeping on it but itā€™s kinda like Play Doh, itā€™s fun to play with.

We LOVE this mattress. Best sleep Iā€™ve ever had and itā€™s so easy to put together, even a cave man can do it. :slight_smile:

Hi All,

Just wanted to chime in. We have never experienced any issues regarding smell with our talalay latex materials. If someone did have an issue or is hesitant, we are more than happy to provide someone with a raw sample prior to purchase.

Best,

Sara
Comfort Sleep Systems
Branford, CT

Thatā€™s good to hear. I tried several mattresses out there about two and a half weeks ago. Been doing some research about the smell. Just found this web site the other day. Helpful.

[quote=ā€œvallario56ā€ post=36009]Hi All,

Just wanted to chime in. We have never experienced any issues regarding smell with our talalay latex materials. If someone did have an issue or is hesitant, we are more than happy to provide someone with a raw sample prior to purchase.

Best,

Sara
Comfort Sleep Systems
Branford, CT[/quote]

Curious, whose latex do you sell?

I collect latex, must have a dozen samples of both Dunlop and talalay.

Hi Mark in Texas,

Iā€™m not Sara but I do know that they use Talalay from Latex International.

Phoenix

[quote=ā€œPhoenixā€ post=36066]Hi Mark in Texas,

Iā€™m not Sara but I do know that they use Talalay from Latex International.

Phoenix[/quote]

I see the Phoenix has risen early this morning. Top of the morninā€™ to ya. :slight_smile:

Well, that makes 2 of us who donā€™t smell anything regarding LIā€™s talalay. By golly, we might be generating a consensus around this here place. Without being accused of promoting any one or any thing, another quality control I like about LI is the lab/plant analysis they do on their talalay. Iā€™m looking at a tab that was stuck to one of the slabs, the 19ILD, density=3.2, test results, etc. Pretty cool.

Can I promote my Lexus as being one of the best made, most reliable and best value cars on the road? How about avocados? I luvvvvvvvv avocados! Hereā€™s the cheapest and best quality Iā€™ve found. http://www.morrocreekranch.com/item.php?item_id=219

Ah oh, feel a spanking coming on fer going off topic, hah! :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Mark in Texas,

I hadnā€™t gone to bed yet :slight_smile:

The smell of any material including latex can vary to some degree from batch to batch and will also vary by the type of latex and its age not to mention that some people will be more sensitive to different smells and perceive them much more strongly.

Phoenix

John,

Iā€™m also very sensitive to perfumes and VOCā€™s in general (I notice them but donā€™t have any sort of reaction). With my latex I noticed a smell but after a month it has diminished greatly. What I can smell t hese days only happens once I pull off the covers to get into bed.

Now my in-laws gave us some latex pillows* and they put off an acrid smell for a couple of weeks.

*Solid piece latex, not shredded latex.

Hi Mark in Texas,

Thank you for your question. We use talalay latex from latex international (we are very close in proximity to the actual factory in CT). We have been selling latex for over 50 years. Hope that helps.

Best,

Sara
Manager
Comfort Sleep Systems
Branford, CT
www.comfortss.com

Thanks Sara. Was just curious. You have a nice site and product line up.

Huh? :frowning: Nothing like being a slave to the ol forum. The 16 hour days, 7 days a week is gonna kill ya hombre!

BTW, revised my previous LI ownership post. Dick/Nancy are co-owners of LI and Dick sits on the board.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Itā€™s certainly not in the plan to continue those types of hours indefinitely and I enjoy this type of intensive project that is challenging on both the technical and intuitive side of things (see post #4 here) but in the time I have itā€™s been a labor of love and I would do it over again in a heartbeat.

Phoenix