Latex topper below a traditional futon. I need advice. thanks!

Hi, I bought a traditional futon and plan to put a firm latex topper of 3" below the futon. Now my question is I have to options the Dunlop type and the Talalay, both are similar price, same thickness and same firmness. I just wondering which type would be better as a “foundation” of a traditional 4" inche cotton futon.

Thank you,

Hi jovan,

The choice between Dunlop and Talalay would be a preference choice not a “better/worse” choice. There is more about the differences between them in post #7 here.

Phoenix

Thank you. This was very informative! As I mentioned I plan to put one topper below my traditoinal 4" futon, because right now is over laminate floor and is very hard! If I don’t want my body to go below the topper (I am 190 pounds) and touch the laminate floor which one would do a better job. The dunlop or the Talalay?

Also can you give me feedback from the companies I plan to buy the topper. Please let me know if you know them.

This is the talalay topper:
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Talalay-Mattress-Topper/dp/B0089ZY9ZA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1421868699&sr=8-4&keywords=LATEX+TOPPER+3+inches&pebp=1421868705490&peasin=B0089ZY9ZA
This is the dunlop topper:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Latex-Mattress-Toppers-SleepWarehouse/dp/B00I8SDW60#customerReviews

And finally if you were in my situation WHICH one WOULD you get? and Why?

THANKS!

Hi jovan,

Either one would work well in a suitable firmness level so the choice would be a preference rather than a “better/worse” choice.

I don’t have any personal experience using a soft latex topper under a firmer futon and there are too many unknowns variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict with any certainty whether any combination of materials will be a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). The Talalay topper is in a soft ILD range (19 ILD) which may be more suitable for use over a firmer mattress (or a futon) than under it but I would be aware that if the topper from Sleepwarehouse is 100% natural Dunlop and has a density of 4.7 lbs/ft3 then it would be firmer than the 16 - 18 ILD that they mention in the description (see post #2 here).

When you are buying a topper and you can’t test the combination in person to make sure that it’s a suitable match for you in terms of PPP then I would make the options you have available to exchange the topper for a different firmness level or return it and the costs involved a more important part of the “value” of your purchase just in case your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

I tend to prefer the more springy “feel” of Talalay vs Dunlop but this is just my own personal preference and other people may have very different preferences from mine (just like they may prefer different foods or different types of clothes than I do). I would also lean towards a softer topper over a firmer futon rather than under it and I would choose a topper using a combination of my own experience on the futon by itself along with the information in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to (which includes a list of suppliers that have good return/exchange options).

Phoenix

According to chuck from dreamfoam beeding the firm topper will be a 36 ILD latex.

With this new information, do you think that dunlop would still be better to avoid contact with the laminate floor?

Thanks!

Hi jovan,

Either one in a suitable firmness level (not too soft) would most likely be “enough” to isolate you from the firmness of a laminate floor although “how much” of the firmness of the floor you may feel or the specifics of a latex layer that would be “ideal” for you in terms of PPP in combination with your futon would depend on the specifics of your futon, the thickness and firmness of the latex, and on your weight distribution and sleeping positions. The firmness you are feeling may also be coming from the futon itself rather than the floor. There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences and sensitivities involved for anyone to know how any combination of materials will feel for you with any certainty until you’ve slept on it which is why I don’t make specific suggestions (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) but the choice between Dunlop and Talalay really is a preference choice and both of them come in a wide range of firmness levels.

Phoenix

Hello Phenix.

Would you say that a 44ILD dunlop topper would be a significant much firmer feel than a 36ILD Talalay?

Thanks

Hi jovan,

Both are in the firmer ILD ranges but the difference between them under a 4" futon would be noticeable for most people yes. “How much” of a difference any particular person would feel would be subjective and isn’t really possible to quantify and would depend on their sensitivity and their body type/weight distribution and their sleeping positions.

Phoenix

Phenix, so you are saying the difference will be noticeable but this would not be regarding the firmness? So if the firmness will be similar what would make them so different? I know is subjective but please try your best to describe it with words.

Hi jovan,

I’m saying most people WOULD notice the difference in firmness between a 36 ILD layer and a 44 ILD layer under a 4" futon.

There is more about the different type of firmness/softness in post #15 here and the firmness of the bottom layer would be about the “support softness”.

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”.

Phoenix