Latex topper for unfortunate Sleep Number purchase?

Hello. Unfortunately, I found this site a little too late in my mattress purchase…but I’d like to see if it is possible to fix things for the meantime. My husband and I bought a split king Sleep Number ile. That means there is an airbed then a 1" memory foam layer and a 2" plushfoam layer (the 2 top layers can be switched around).

I’m hot and uncomfortable whether the memory foam layer is under the mattress pad or under the 2" plushfoam. My husband is fine. And after 3 mattresses in 8 years of marriage, I believe I’m super sensitive to memory foam. If I remove the 1" memory foam layer, my temperature is fine but there’s not enough comfort and I feel the airbed. We also have the Sleep Number in balance mattress pad to try and help cool things down.

In looking to fix things until we can buy another mattress (and keep me off the couch), I’m wondering if it would be better to purchase a 1" latex foam topper to go with the 2" Sleep Number plushfoam. Or would it be better to look for a 3" latex topper? There’s 3" inside the airbed mattress cover to work with. Sleep Number won’t tell me the materials in the 2" plushfoam layer except to say that it is synthetic.

Thank you for this site. I wish we’d found it before we bought the Sleep Number.

I sold my sleep number bed on craigslist. Just a thought :cheer:

Hi CTVKath,

Based on your experience and trial and error it seems like the memory foam layer is the main “culprit” in your heat issues. If I was in your shoes I would probably replace just the 1" memory foam layer with Talalay latex (which is very breathable) or if you want a little bit more temperature regulation yet you could use the Talalay GL fast response (which has phase change gel added to it as well). You could always add an additional 2" of latex down the road as an option after you have tried the single layer. Post #4 here includes some of the better sources for latex I’m aware of.

Post #2 here also has more information about some of the many factors that can affect temperature regulation that may also make a difference and give you some further options as well (such as different sheets, mattress protectors, or mattress pads such as wool).

Do you have a waterproof mattress protector on your mattress or just the in balance mattress pad?

Phoenix

Thank you!! I found a 1" Talalay latex topper from one of your resources. Will order that asap.

We don’t have a waterproof mattress protector, only the in balance mattress pad. Sleep Number is kindly sending us a free set of their in balance sheets, which is nice, but I think the best thing is to eliminate the memory foam completely.

Next mattress purchase we’ll be reading here and following your steps.

Best wishes and thank you again.

Katherine

Hi CTVKath,

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you receive it to see how well the foam replacement works for you.

I was asking about a waterproof mattress protector because the semi-breathable waterproof membranes they use can also contribute to temperature issues but since you aren’t using one this wouldn’t be an issue.

Phoenix