latex topper -HELP

I’ve gotten myself confused shopping for a latex topper. Tried a talalay in 22 ild at the store but the cost was so high, thought I’d see if I can’t do better on line. Also, was told by the sales person that it was malouf, 2 inch, natural talalay in a 22 ild, however according to malouf’s website their toppers are Dunlop process… Has anyone had experience with the Sleepmade “100% natural latex reversible topper” this is supposedly a dual sided 2.5 inch talalay topper 14 ild on one side and 25 on the flip side. Other one im looking at is isolus (malouf) 2 inch. Suggestions or advice appreciated. I will call the store tomorrow to confirm the specs of the topper we tried in store as well.

Hi cpaciente,

I don’t have any personal experience with either topper but I can make a few comments.

Based on the description on Amazon and on their site here … there seems to be some conflicting information in the description that would lead me to question its accuracy.

The descriptions say that there are no seams and no adhesive which means that it wouldn’t be Talalay latex because both Radium and Latex International use glue seams in their king size layers.

It also says “made in USA” and “no fillers” and the only Talalay that is made in the US is latex International which uses fillers in their Talalay.

The wording … “No seams - No fillers - No Adhesive” is usually an indication of a product that comes from Latexco and if this is the case then this topper is most likely their Puralux product (which is made in the USA) which is typically a 20% natural and 80% synthetic continuous pour Dunlop blend (although they can make it in other blends as well). If could also be their 100% natural Puralux product but this would be made by a different manufacturer which they supply (typically Latex Green) and isn’t made in the US.

Of course this is all speculation but I would be cautious and I would always confirm the type and blend of any latex topper you are considering to your satisfaction.

I don’t have any personal experience with either topper but I have no reason to doubt the Malouf website which says that the Isolus is Dunlop (although they don’t mention whether it’s 100% natural or a blend).

Post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to have more information that can help you use your actual sleeping experience to choose the type, thickness, and firmness of a topper that would have the best chance of success and also includes a link to a list of the better online sources for toppers that I’m aware of as well that all provide reliable descriptions for their toppers.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
I just came across this forum while searching for info. on latex toppers.

You wrote “Puralux product which is typically a 20% natural and 80% synthetic continuous pour Dunlop blend…”

I’m looking at a 3" topper on ebay sold by Haht auctions that says it is Puralux. The price is $359 for a medium firm queen. I have found 3" latex toppers cheaper on ebay and Amazon but I’m worried that they may be low quality Chinese latex.

What is your opinion of Puralux and do you know of other brands comparably priced that I should consider?

I’m a 45 yr old 170lb back sleeper and have DDD and think a 2 or 3 inch latex topper on my Simmons Beautyrest may help my back.

Thanks for any help you (or any others on this forum) can give.

Hi psimmond,

[quote]I’m looking at a 3" topper on ebay sold by Haht auctions that says it is Puralux. The price is $359 for a medium firm queen. I have found 3" latex toppers cheaper on ebay and Amazon but I’m worried that they may be low quality Chinese latex.

What is your opinion of Puralux and do you know of other brands comparably priced that I should consider?[/quote]

Haht Auctions is the same as Sleep on Latex and their Puralux product there is a lower cost (and I believe would be the same).

There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here (the type and blend of latex is more important than the “brand”). Like any latex (there is no “low quality” Chinese latex that you are likely to find) … Puralux is a high quality and durable material compared to other types of foam and would certainly be well worth considering for those that are looking for a latex topper and are in a lower budget range.

There is more about the most common “symptoms” that people may experience on a mattress and the most likely reasons for them (to the extent that your back issues are a result of sleeping on your mattress) in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful.

Whether a topper will help your back or not will depend entirely on whether your mattress is too soft or too firm and the reasons for any back issues you have when you are sleeping on your mattress. If your mattress is too firm then some of the suggestions in post #2 here may be helpful. If you just need some additional pressure relief then a topper can be a good solution and post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to can help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that would have the best chance of success.

If the reason for your back issues are that your mattress is too soft or has developed soft spots or is sagging (which is often but not always the reason for lower back issues) then there aren’t any “great” options and a topper is much less to be an effective solution (and in some cases may make your back issues worse) but the suggestions in post #4 here may be helpful.

The better sources for latex toppers (including Sleeponlatex) that I’m aware of are listed in the component post here.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Thanks for all the great info!
My Simmons mattress is almost new but I feel like it’s an issue of pressure points, so I think a topper may do the trick. I’ve tried memory foam in the past and felt like it had to much sag/indent.

At 170, do you think 2" is sufficient if I go with a dunlop latex?

For me, the tough decision is firmness. (And I’ll have to look into shredded latex; I’d never heard of that.)

Thanks again!

Hi psimmond,

There is no way for me (or anyone) to know this with any certainty until you’ve actually slept on it because it will depend on the specifics of your mattress and on “how much” additional pressure relief you need (which is somewhat subjective). 2" would be an “average” choice in the range of a “little to a fair bit” of additional pressure relief and if that sounds reasonable to you and you are choosing a topper that is somewhere in a soft range then it would seem like a reasonable choice … assuming that you prefer latex over other types of toppers and you prefer the “feel” of Dunlop vs Talalay (see post #7 here).

The topper guidelines I linked include the guidelines I would use to choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that will have the best chance of success but when you can’t test the combination in person before a purchase then I would make sure that you have a more detailed conversation with any of the suppliers that you are considering so they can help “talk you through” the options they have available and the return or exchange policy may also be a more important part of the “value” for a topper purchase just in case the topper you choose doesn’t work out as well as you hoped for.

Phoenix

Hi Pheonix, a bit of confusion in information as you state that Latex International uses fillers in their Talalay, where their website specifically says they use no fillers at all. Also, their mattresses seem to be available with no seams or glue except for the Cal-King. Apparently they produce various mattresses for different markets and are priced accordingly. I am interested in getting a 100% natural Talalay topper with no seams or fillers natural or otherwise, so I need some clarification on their product. Thank You.

Hi DonH,

You can see some information about fillers on their website page here. Where did you see on their site that they don’t use fillers?

Both Latex International and Radium have twin XL or queen size molds so anything that is larger than a queen size would have a glue seam (see post #2 here).

Phoenix

Hi Pheonix, Latex Internationals website can be confusing, but I’m attaching the wording from their site under “Bedding Today”.Also, I bought my queen mattress from Sleeping Organic who are great to work with, and they offer all seamless mattresses including king size, with the exception of Cal-King. They get their Talalay from LI and their Dunlop from Latex Green. If you go to LI’s website, on the left hand side there is a green circle with Talalay Latex in the middle, press this to get to the full article. Thanks for all your help. MADE IN THE GOOD OL’ US OF A
If you read the law tag attached on any bed you’re considering, it will list the materials and their origin. Our Talalay Latex is the only one made in the USA. We never use any fillers or additives as they degrade the feel, durability and benefits of the finished product.

Hi DonH,

[quote]Latex Internationals website can be confusing, but I’m attaching the wording from their site under “Bedding Today”.

“If you read the law tag attached on any bed you’re considering, it will list the materials and their origin. Our Talalay Latex is the only one made in the USA. We never use any fillers or additives as they degrade the feel, durability and benefits of the finished product.” [/quote]

Unfortunately this isn’t accurate information. They may be using “filler” in some kind of different context but they do use some filler in their latex.

While you won’t feel it … if a Talalay latex layer is larger than a queen size it will have a glue seam and many queen sizes will as well.

I certainly think highly of Sleeping Organic as well (which is why they are a member of the site) and many of the forum members here have found that they are great to work with as well.

Congratulations on your new mattress :).

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you receive it.

Phoenix