Latex Topper+Innerspring OR Latex Mattress

I bought my simmons about six years ago when I had ZERO knowledge about mattress. After about three years, it started to sag. And wife keeps complaining it’s too soft.

Later we bought a few two innersprings for our son and inlaw. They hold up pretty well. But for me, a side sleeper, it’s too firm. So I started with an idea of buying the same innerspring and add a topper, until I came across this forum.

I did quite some readings of posts here and learned a lot. Now I am interested buying a Latex Mattress. As the tutorial said, I should first try some to see what fits me best. But with google search, I can’t even find a store in my area. I am in Irvine, CA 92617. If someone knows a good store that carries Latex Mattress, please share with me.

Eventually, my plan is to buy all layers online and build my own mattress, which seems to be more cost effective.

Hi shangkan,

One of the challenges of buying a firm mattress and then adding a topper when you can’t test the mattress/topper combination in person is that choosing a suitable topper that is a good combination for you and the mattress you are using it on (different mattresses will affect the choice of topper that works best for a particular person) that can be almost as challenging as choosing a mattress that doesn’t need a topper in the first place because the only way to know whether the combination will be a good “match” for you will be based on your own personal experience (see post #2 here).

It can also be more costly than just buying a mattress which includes the same materials as the topper as a layer inside the mattress itself and you would be avoiding the risk of having additional materials in your base mattress that you may not need or that may be lower quality foam (that can soften or break down more quickly) or that may be softer than what would be ideal for a transition layer under a softer topper. At the very least I would make sure that the topper has a good exchange or return policy so there would be less risk of buying a topper that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for in combination with your mattress. I would also make sure that you can find out all the specifics of the materials inside the base mattress so you can make sure it meets the quality/durability guidelines here and that there are no weak links in the mattress.

Having said that … if you do choose a suitable mattress/topper combination which turns out to be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) then it does have the advantage of being able to replace just the topper without replacing the entire mattress if it softens or breaks down before the upper foam layers in the mattress (which is likely because a sleeping system will tend to soften or break down from the top layers down) or if your needs or preferences change over time and a topper can also help extend the useful life of a mattress underneath it as well.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Los Angeles region which would include Irvine (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets that quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

If you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own DIY mattress out of separate components and a separate cover then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

If you decide to take on the challenge then I would either use the specs (if they are available) of a mattress that you have tested and confirmed is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) as a reference point or blueprint and try and “match” every layer and component in your reference mattress (including any springs, any foam layers, and the cover) as closely as possible or use a “bottom up” approach (see post #2 here).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for the quick reply. I found quite a few stores near my area. I will plan some visits there and test.
I will report back.

The innerspring I tested is from Taiwan. Not much info I can find. http://www.tehtaibed.com/html/products.htm

I have a full size “Regular” and a cal king “Super” from them. For the size I want, Regular is $800, Super is $1150. Their bed is very simply with no plush layer. I can feel Super is firmer and more uniform (probably because of the Spring net). But neither gives me much sink room. I used to sleep on the full size one for a while, with a 3 in gel foam (costco).

I built a foundation two weeks ago. I think this would be good for either innerspring or latex. picture attached.

Hi shangkan,

Unfortunately the link doesn’t provide any information about the quality or durability of the materials in your mattress so I can’t make any meaningful comments about it without knowing the information in this article.

I can’t see what is under the fiberboard or how it is supported or whether your bedframe has good center support to the floor but it would “probably” be suitable in terms of supporting the mattress. Having said that … a solid surface doesn’t allow any airflow under the mattress so there can be some additional risk in terms of moisture retention or the risk of developing mold or mildew but if there aren’t any other risk factors then it would probably be fine (see post #10 here).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Underneath is slots, but not full length over the width of the cal king. I made this from a tear down of a queen foundation. Would drilling a bunch of holes help?

I did a quick online research of those links. Looks like Flexus is the best bet. The closer ones in Costa Mesa scared me with their price tag. I am not sure what is reasonable. How much should I expect comparing to the online price, eg https://www.mattresses.net/ ? A 3 in 100% Talalay Topper, less than $500 or $1000+?

Kan

Hi zhangkan,

It would improve the airflow yes.

I’m not sure if you are asking about toppers or mattresses but either way there really isn’t any way to answer this specifically because the question is too general. If you are talking about toppers then it would depend on many variables including the type and blend of latex you are buying (some types of latex are more costly than others), the thickness of the layer, the specifics of any cover or quilting material that is included with the topper, the return or exchange policy that is built in to the price of the topper or layer, and any other variables that can affect pricing but depending on the specifics then you probably wouldn’t need to go any higher than $500 for a 3" topper or latex layer and in many cases they are available for much less. If you are making “apples to apples” comparisons between toppers or individual layers then the prices in the list of online components here are certainly good reference points for “value”.

There is also more information about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

If you are asking about mattresses then once again there isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” value because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that are more or less important to different people that may be very different from someone else that can affect the price of a mattress and because the “value” of a mattress purchase is always relative to how they compare to the other finalists you are considering or to the other mattresses that are available to you in the area or online based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

There is also more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or the exchange/return options that are available to you).

There is also more general information about mattress budgets in this article that may be helpful as well although of course these are very generic and can’t be used to assess the “value” of a specific mattress.

As you probably know … both Arizona Premium and Flexus are members of this site which means that I think very highly of both of them and I believe that they both compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks so much for your time and generosity sharing all your knowledge with everyone in need. I was referring to the topper in the previous post about pricing. I just thought it would be a simpler apple to apple comparison of a 3" 100% natural Talalay topper across different places. Whereas for the mattress, it’s related to a lot more variables as you mentioned.

I found goodbedguys closeby. Their 3" Talalay overlay is over 1k, vs Arizona Premium less than $500 shipped. I came to know AP from here. That’s why I used it as a good reference.

When I ran to the bottom of your list, I found a BE store very close to my home. It was relocated from Irvine to Laguna Niguel (you can update your list). That would probably be my first thing to do tomorrow. Just to get my first feel of a latex bed. :slight_smile:

Hi shangkan,

While they don’t mention the type of Talalay latex they are using or the specifics of the cover … $1000 is certainly more than I would pay when there are so many lower priced options available that use the same material and probably a fairly similar cover as well.

I’ve corrected their locations in the forum list … and thanks for letting me know and helping to keep the list up to date :).

Phoenix

Went to the BE store at Laguna Niguel on Friday. Store hours open till 7pm. 6:20pm, already closed. :frowning:

On Sat, I drove all the way up to Covina and visited Flexus. Their system is similar to sleepEZ with two 3" dunlop core plus 2" or 3" or 2x3" topper. James gave me a good suggestion trying Med Med core + soft topper. With 2" I could still feel the pressure on my shoulder, but not 3". Similar feeling with Firm Firm Soft in 3x3". Med Med Soft feels much softer than all the beds I’ve tried. But I kind of feel comfortable without the pressure on my shoulder. Is this the right feel/PPP? I am 175lb, side sleep. My wife is 110lb, back sleep. James suggest Firm Firm Soft, and told me I can always swap around, doing Firm Med Soft, or Med FIrm Soft. My question is would the very bottom layer really make any noticeable difference? eg, Firm Firm Soft and Med Firm Soft? Arizona Premium’s system is 6" core + 3" topper. Does 3x3" offer more real flexibility than 6+3?

Flexus is now having a sale which is better than 5% member discount. For a Cal-King is 1745 with 2x3" + 3". If I want 100% natural topper, it’s 150 more. Does 100% natural really have better feel?

Last question, is it ok to also split the topper in case my wife wants firmer feel? With the cover, would I still feel line in the middle?

Hi shangkan,

That’s frustrating and if they are usually closed before 7:00 PM on fridays they should change the hours that are listed on their site here.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: ergocomfort.com/contact.html]site here

I would always keep in mind that the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Whether a slight difference in firmness in the bottom layer would make a difference would depend on the person. Some people would notice a difference and some people wouldn’t notice much or even any difference at all depending on their sensitivity and body weight. Again … the only way to know whether it would make a difference for any particular person would be based on their own careful testing or actual sleeping experience. Differences in layers that are closer to the sleeping surface will tend to be more noticeable than differences in deeper layers.

There is also more about the pros and cons of a single 6" latex core vs two separate 3" layers in post #2 here.

“Feel” is very subjective so it will really depend on the person and who you ask. There is more about the differences between 100% natural Talalay and blended Talalay in post #2 here. Assuming that they are both the same ILD and firmness level … many people wouldn’t notice a difference but again there are a few people that will.

There is more about the pros and cons of a side to side “split firmness” mattress in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks again for providing all the detail answers.

I went there again today with my wife, to let her choose the right configuration. We ending up getting Firm Med Soft for my side and Firm Firm Soft for her. Got some extra savings by picking up by ourselves. Two queen pillows too.

If everything goes well, we will be sleeping in our new bed this weekend. I am going to drill a bunch of holes on my home-made foundation before I set up the mattress.

I am so glad to know a local factory. Anything happens I can always go back and exchange layers or even return the whole thing (I don’t think I would).

Hizhangkan,

Thanks for the update … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great choice and I’m looking forward to your comments once you receive it.

Phoenix

feedback after one week of sleep.

first of all, assemble the bed is quite some work. Two people would definitely make it much easier. The base layer is the hardest part. Once it’s aligned well with the cover, the rest is easy.

The initial feel is quite some firmer than what I felt at the showroom. I am not sure if it’s the tightness of the cover or just variance within each firmness category. I can feel the pressure while sleeping on the side. My wife feels firmer too, but not as much as I do on my side.

I am thinking of doing some changes. Either change the soft top layer to a softer one, if they have. Or change the core from firm+medium to medium+medium. The second choice would be only for my side though. Before that, I would probably give it another week.

Hi shangkan,

Thanks for taking the time to share your initial comments and feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s certainly easier to do with two people but even with one … once you get the hang of “waving” the layers into place it’s relatively simple. Folding the cover back over the foundation can also help with aligning the bottom layer (see post #12 here).

[quote]The initial feel is quite some firmer than what I felt at the showroom. I am not sure if it’s the tightness of the cover or just variance within each firmness category. I can feel the pressure while sleeping on the side. My wife feels firmer too, but not as much as I do on my side.

I am thinking of doing some changes. Either change the soft top layer to a softer one, if they have. Or change the core from firm+medium to medium+medium. The second choice would be only for my side though. Before that, I would probably give it another week. [/quote]

As you probably know from your reading here there will be a break in and adjustment period with any new mattress and I would probably wait a minimum of a couple of weeks (preferably longer) before making any changes to your mattress to give the mattress a chance to break in a little and for your body to adjust to a sleeping surface that is different from what it’s used to (see post #3 here and post #2 here).

Some types of mattress protectors or mattress pads can also affect the firmness or “feel” of the mattress as well.

Phoenix