latex topper no barrier

Is it safe to use a blended talalay or natural talalay topper, no topper cover, on surface of bed with only a sheet and mattress protector on it or is that a fire hazard? I know rejivenite toppers come with a cover, no clue if its meant as a fire barrier or just serves other purposes.

Hi EZ4HZ,

The main reason for a topper cover is top protect the latex from oxidation and other harmful substances.

Latex can oxidize faster with exposure to air and ozone and ultraviolet light along with other substances that can damage it (see here) and it’s always a good idea for a latex topper to have a dedicated cover to give it the best possible protection and to help maximize it’s useful lifetime. It can also help protect the topper from tearing when you handle it. A mattress protector or sheets would offer “some” protection but it’s a matter of degree. There is more in post #3 here and post #3 here that will give you some sense of the effect of different types of covers on latex.

Phoenix

Latex has a fairly high static charge, of course it is slightly higher in the dry winter months. It is very good at pulling dust and debris that you couldn’t see before, but you sure will see if you don’t cover it. I’ve even seen pet hair work its way through a sheet AND a single layer cover and twist itself in the latex.

If you want to keep your latex around for a while, I would cover it.

Ty what about the fire hazard element of my question? Am I sleeping on lighter fluid?

Hi EZ4HZ,

Latex is certainly flammable (although not as flammable as polyfoam) but it would only be a risk if it was exposed to a heat source or flame that was enough to ignite it which would be very unlikely with a mattress or a topper (unless someone was to smoke in bed or intentionally try and burn it). It’s wouldn’t “burst” into flame with just a spark like lighter fluid and would need a fairly intense heat source to start it burning.

Some toppers have fire retardant covers and some don’t (toppers aren’t subject to the fire retardant regulations that apply to mattresses) so you would need to check with the manufacturer to find out the specifics of a cover but for most people the fire retardancy of a latex topper wouldn’t be a concern unless they were likely to engage in more risky behavior that would increase the risk of starting a fire with any type of material that can burn.

Phoenix

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00579IPTM?ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

I remember you said ultimate sleep mislabels theirs toppers as talala, this is described as talatechn from latex international… Is it real talalay? I’m okay with blended.

And is 2" enough for a topper or is 3" necessary to get a real latex whatever that means.

Hi EZ4HZ,

[quote]Amazon.com

I remember you said ultimate sleep mislabels theirs toppers as talala, this is described as talatechn from latex international… Is it real talalay? I’m okay with blended. [/quote]

If it really comes from Latex International then it would be Talalay but I would be very cautious about dealing with them based on their history of misrepresenting at least some of the products they sell. It’s easy to get “faked out” by unusually low prices with incorrect descriptions. You can also see the ILD ratings for Latex International / Talalay Global blended latex here and as you can see they don’t have a firmness level that is rated as 22 ILD.

Any thickness of latex would be “real latex” but toppers with different firmness levels and different thicknesses will each have a different effect on how a topper feels in combination with your mattress. Post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to has more information that can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least risk and the best chance of success.

Phoenix