Latex topper on a firm mattress good idea if I didn't like a Tempur-Pedic Supreme?

Bought & returned a Tempur-Pedic Supreme mattress.
I loved it in store, but when I got it home & slept on it, I felt kind of sore when I woke up (I’m a side sleeper). I also sink too much on it.

I disliked the indentation it leaves when I toss & turn in the bed, makes re-positioning myself in bed not a good idea. It’s also slightly uncomfortable to get out of bed with it.

I now bought a ultra firm polyurethane tight top mattress. I liked the firmness of it in store, thinking it would solve my mattress sagging & memory foam sinking indentation issues.
TOO FIRM!.
Feels like I’m sleeping on a concrete!!!

I have a 2" low density cheap memory foam topper & it does nothing to help soften the mattress. It flattens like a pancake when I lie down on it & I feel the ultra stiffness of the mattress underneath.

So I’m thinking of buying a 3" or 4" latex topper to replace it.
Would Medium-Firm 4" be a good idea if I’m 6’4" & weight 235 ibs, a side sleeper who toss & turns at night? Or would a 3" firm be better?
I DON’T want to sink too much, but I DON’T want to feel like I’m sleeping on a rock.

Would a Talalay (softer feel) be better than Dunlop (firmer feel) if I go with the firmer ILD?
I couldn’t find any Talalay 4" toppers anywhere.

Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

Hi Tiredshopper55,

This certainly isn’t an unusual comment about a memory foam mattress and temperature issues and motion restriction are two of the biggest complaints about memory foam.

[quote]So I’m thinking of buying a 3" or 4" latex topper to replace it.
Would Medium-Firm 4" be a good idea if I’m 6’4" & weight 235 ibs, a side sleeper who toss & turns at night? Or would a 3" firm be better?
I DON’T want to sink too much, but I DON’T want to feel like I’m sleeping on a rock.[/quote]

Unfortunately you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress/topper combination and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion about which topper would be the best “match” for both you and the mattress you are using it on in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal testing or sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). The specifics of the mattress under the topper can also make a significant difference in which topper will work best for any specific person since every layer and component in a mattress/topper combination will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and the “sleeping system” as a whole.

While it’s not possible to make specific suggestions because of all the many variables involved that are unique to each person and your own experience is the only way to know for certain whether any mattress/topper combination will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP … there is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to that can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. It also includes a link to a list of some of the better online sources for toppers I’m aware of as well.

[quote]Would a Talalay (softer feel) be better than Dunlop (firmer feel) if I go with the firmer ILD?
I couldn’t find any Talalay 4" toppers anywhere.[/quote]

Both Talalay and Dunlop come in a wide range of firmness levels but the choice between them would be a preference choice rather than a “better/worse” choice and either one in a suitable thickness and firmness level can make a good choice. Some people just prefer the feel and response one type of latex and some prefer the other. There is more about the differences between them in post #7 here but the most reliable way to know which type of latex you tend to prefer would be based on your own local testing or personal experience.

Phoenix

Thanks for your quick reply, Phoenix.

I been lurking these forums for the past few years & always read through your advice…

I decided I will get a 4" dunlop Latex in medium firm

There seems to be only 3 places that sell 4" latex toppers though

Rocky Mountain:
rockymountainmattress.com/natural-latex-products/natural-latex-dunlop-medium-firm/

Ultimate Sleep:

ErgoSoft:

ADMIN NOTE: Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1:amazon.com/Full-Natural-Mattress-Topper-Medium/dp/B009R888KA| Archived Footprint 2: Amazon.com

Ultimate Sleep & Ergo Soft seem like they might even be the same company.
Any recommendations between the 3?

Hi Tiredshopper55,

ADMIN NOTE: Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: Amazon.com Archived Footprint 1: Amazon.com

Ultimate Sleep is the same company as Absolute Comfort On Sale which sells the same 4" 100% natural Dunlop Ergosoft topper as Ultimate Sleep is selling on Amazon. Ultimate Sleep site rates their 5.3 lb density medium firm Ergosoft topper as being in a 28 - 30 ILD range while Absolute comfort rates theirs as being in a 24 - 27 ILD range so at least one of them isn’t correct If the density of both toppers is the same. If you look at the density compared to the ILD range for Latex Green 100% natural Dunlop here then a 5.3 lb topper would also be firmer than either of them have listed.

Ultimate Sleep is also selling what appears to be the same topper with a different product name in the other link you listed but that has the same density (5.3 lbs) but they list this one as being 24 - 27 ILD which is the same as the Absolute Comfort Ergosoft ILD range.

Rocky Mountain’s 4 inch 100% natural Dunlop topper is from a different company and is 5.2 lb density and they list theirs as being 25 ILD which is probably a little low as well.

Sleep Warehouse sells the same 5.2 lb density topper here and their ILD’s are the same as Rocky Mountain which means that they are probably also a little low.

As you probably know from your reading here I don’t make specific recommendations because there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved to make specific topper recommendations for someone else and your own sleeping experience will be the only way to know whether any mattress/topper combination will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP but I would make sure that you find out the specifics of the exchange/return policies and options with each of them and any costs involved and include that as part of the “value” of your purchase just in case the topper you purchase doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

I would also keep in mind that you could also try a 3" topper which would open up more topper options for you and then add another inch if you find you need to.

I would also add a topper cover for your topper to help protect the latex from damage from handling (latex can tear easily) and from oxidation or from breaking down prematurely from exposure to air and other substances that can harm it over the longer term (see post #12 here and the posts it links to).

Phoenix