Latex Topper Question

I have a queen size bed. It ihas 7" pocket coils (15.5 gauge) with 2" medium (32 ILD) Dunlop latex over the coils and a 3" Talalay 100 % Natural (not blended) N2 which averages about a little over 24 ILD after averaging the 9 reference points on the label since Talalay natural latex is a range rather than one specific ILD. I am a side sleeper, 150 lbs, 5’8 and being a side sleeper, the top layer still does not allow my shoulder to have pressure relief and I find my shoulders aching from too much resistance against them rather than relief by sinking in to the top layer. Would adding a 1" topper of 19ILD be sufficient to help this since I suppose that anything softer in 1" would just cause my shoulders to go right “through” such a soft topper at 1". OR should i forget the idea of using 1" all together (as it is just too thin to allow pressure relief and will just compress too much?) and go with 2" as a minimum in 19 ILD or something even softer? Does it make more sense to have 2 layers of 1" latex. I cannot seem to find 1" layers though since most companies only have 2". Please let me know where I might find a solution and what to use. Thank you very much

Hi stevie.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

I’d agree that 2" is the better option since 1" are nearly impossible to find and I don’t believe that as a side sleeper, that 1" will offer you enough sinking.

There are some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful with a new mattress that is too firm but if you need some additional softness and pressure relief on your mattress then a topper can certainly be a good solution. The key with a topper is to add “just enough” thickness and softness so that in combination with the mattress it will relieve your pressure points in your most pressure prone position (generally side sleeping) so that there is less alignment risk in your other sleeping positions.

If you do decide to add a topper then post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose a topper that has the best chance of success and also includes some links to some good sources for toppers as well.

NikkiTMU