Latex topper question

I own a Stearns & Foster Estate Shantel Luxury Plush Euro Top Mattress. The mattress is slightly too firm. I sometimes wake up with a slight ache on my shoulder and hips when I sleep on my side.

I was told that it might be a good idea to get a latex topper. I would also look into memory foam, but my wife hates memory foam. Given that my bed is slightly too firm I was wondering whether anyone could give me some advice on what to buy. For example:

Is it better to buy a 2’ vs 3’ topper? I should note that I am a side sleeper

Is Talay better than Dunlop?

Also, which brands are generally considered to be the best?

I am sorry if this question has been asked already. Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Hi Kaysa,

The topper guidelines in post #8 here should be helpful. Thinner toppers that are “just enough” to relieve pressure in your most pressure prone position (usually side sleeping) is the least risky in terms of alignment.

In a word no. The choice between Talalay and Dunlop is a preference issue not a “better worse” issue. There is more about the different types of latex on post #6 here and more about the difference in how they “feel” in post #7 here but your own personal testing is the most reliable way to know which type of latex you prefer.

The brand of a topper (or a mattress) is just a name on a label and makes little to no difference. Knowing the materials (including the type and blend of latex and the type of cover) is the only meaningful way to make comparisons.

Phoenix

I am a side sleeper and also was in the market for a topper to soften the shoulder/hip area. I have a talalay mattress 3 x 3". Good support but needed pressure relief without losing alignment support. I bought this:

http://invigocollection.myshopify.com/collections/toppers/products/simply-latex-2-mattress-topper

It is a nice soft topper with a nice cover… and it was pretty good but I kept trying to find a better feel. INVIGO makes other toppers that you can find on the website. I think I might have liked the Combo polyfoam/latex but wanted to try this mostly synthetic dunlop. I had a 1 1/2 " wool fleece on top of this topper. Really pretty nice feel.

I then bought this for the very top:

https://www.amazon.com/Extra-Plush-Bamboo-Top-Mattress/dp/B008URGSWO/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1387146429&sr=1-2

and this between the mattress and the plush mattress pad:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/martha-stewart-collection-sleep-wise-5-zone-foam-toppers?ID=522462&CategoryID=40384#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D229%26ruleId%3D53%26slotId%3D2

This feels really the best for us without going too thick. When too thick my hips would sink too much and then pain!
These 2 items in combination works for us… we are 150lbs. and 125lbs. The foam is 1 1/2 " and light but does give some support… don’t know how long it will last. The mattress pad is soft, thick, has a great feel. This is sort of the feel of a low pillow top I think.

I also changed my mattress which was Med. Firm, xfirm to firm, med., xfirm. zNever thought that this would feel better but it does. I am keeping the 2" dunlop topper in case these other two items don’t last.

Check out the INVIGO website for other toppers that are fairly reasonably priced and returnable! I seemed to like a more soft aand less “latex” feel at the top of our mattress for pressure relief. My husband liked just about every combination I created… not as sensitive as I am.

Thanks Diane and phoenix! This is very useful :slight_smile: