Latex topper question

I am sure if I were better at searching I wouldn’t need to ask, but in searching the websites of the membership and a few non-members I keep seeing three varieties of toppers, namely all natural talalay, blended talalay and (less frequently) Dunlop which I had thought was used primarily in cores. A couple of questions, is there any reason to choose a Dunlop topper, and is there any reason to pay more an all natural as opposed to blended talalay?

Hi Pspa123,

The choice between different types and blends of latex is more of a preference and budget choice rather than a “better/worse” choice and any type or blend of latex is a durable material relative to other types of foam materials. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and more about how Dunlop compares to Talalay in general in post #7 here but the best way to know which type or blend of latex you tend to prefer (regardless of whether it’s used in comfort layers, transition layers, or support layers) will be based on your own testing and/or your own personal experience.

Phoenix

PS: I thought I’d let you know that the email that you used to register with is bouncing which means that the forum software won’t be able to send you notifications about replies to any of the forum topics you are subscribed to.

That is helpful. So it seems like for a softer topper, the blended Talalay may be a better choice due to greater durability.

Hi Pspa123,

There is more about how 100% natural Talalay compares to blended Talalay in post #2 here.

I wouldn’t consider any type or blend of latex to be a weak link in a mattress relative to other types of foam but if you are looking at the softest versions of Talalay latex (with an ILD in the teens) and if the latex comes from Talalay Global then I would give the edge in terms of durability to their blended Talalay vs their 100% natural Talalay. With Radium Talalay I would consider them to be closely comparable although any softer version of any material including latex will be less durable than a firmer version of the same material.

Phoenix

Talalay Global is Rejuvenite, is that right?

Hi Pspa123,

Yes … Rejuvenite is one of Talalay Global’s brand names for a number of different sleep products (see their web page here).
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: latexfoam.com/products/rejuvenite

There is more information about choosing a topper and a link to the better online sources I’m aware of in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. A good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase just in case the topper you choose doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

Phoenix