Latex topper questions

Hello! Recently, I bought a Tuft & Needle mattress, and I’m still in the trial period. Initially, I found the mattress just slightly too firm, so they sent me a 2" topper made from their proprietary Adaptive Foam. Now, I’m finding it a bit too soft. My other problem is I just don’t really enjoy the surface feel of their foam either. It’s not that I entirely hate it, but I think it needs a tweak and a bit more softness. So I’m thinking about trying a latex topper. I’ve tried memory foam toppers on my old mattress, and I dislike them, so those are out. I’m picky, aren’t I? :lol:

I’m sure most people would suggest that I just return the mattress and try a different one. However, I don’t like the idea of it ending up in the landfill if a local charity won’t take used mattresses. It makes me sad thinking about it. Plus, I’m sure I can make this one work for me by adding a topper without spending more money than if I were to buy another mattress that has latex layers.

Finally, here are my questions about latex toppers. If I don’t want to increase softness by much, would a topper of 1 to 1.5 inches be sufficient enough? For reference, I’m a 5’2" female and weigh around 125 lbs.

Also, I want to get a talalay topper instead of dunlop because I want the pillow-y feel it’s supposed to provide. However, I’m wondering if you add a case to the topper, and of course, the sheets, can a person actually feel the different between talalay and dunlop?

Thanks so much!

Hi sonicfox,

A small amount of foam, even 1", especially in the uppermost layer of a mattress, will have an impact on the overall comfort. For slight changes in plushness, it is common for a 1" to 2" latex topper to be used.

That of course varies upon the individual, the thickness of the latex and the ILD of the latex. In general, Talalay is a bit more “buoyant” feeling. Dunlop has an initial softer feel, but tends to “firm up” (has a higher compression modulus) a bit more as it is compressed.

Of course the feel of these products does depend on the surface upon which they are placed, and as you mentioned the sheets and the mattress pad or protector. Unless you have a chance to try any of these toppers out in person, I would make sure that you become familiar with any return/exchange policies of any topper you purchase just in case it doesn’t work out as well as you had hoped.

There are some suggestions for selecting a topper in post #2 here, and in that post as you scroll down there will be a link for some better online sources for topers of which I am aware.

Let us know about your progress!

Phoenix

Thank you so much, Phoenix!

Hi sonicfox,

You’re welcome. I hope that information was helpful to you.

Phoenix