Latex Topper Questions

I have a 2 year old Cal King Simmons black label mattress that I simply can’t sleep on. I’m a side sleeper and I wake up with my arm numb and cold. My hips also hurt.

I can’t afford to purchase a new mattress, so instead I’m strongly leaning toward purchasing a mattress topper. After much internet research, including this site, I’ve come to conclusion that I want a latex topper…

Based on my research, I’m thinking that a talalay topper would be better for me. Since I’m a side sleeper, I’ve read that a 3 inch topper is better than a 2 inch topper. Is this true? Also, I think I want to purchase a blended topper because it can withstand sagging better than a 100% natural topper and the cost is less. What is the optimum blend ratio I should be looking for? A lot of the ads don’t have the ratios indicated, but I did find one at Brooklyn Bedding stating 60/40 blend.

Thanks for your responses.

Hi IEAngelsfan,

This would depend on the specifics of your mattress (especially the type, thickness, and firmness of the comfort layers on top of it) and on the specifics of the topper (the type, blend, and firmness of the latex topper). For some people, body types, and preferences, 2" would be a better match on any specific mattress in terms of PPP and for others a 3" topper may work better on the same mattress. While there isn’t a formula that can predict which type, thickness, or firmness topper would be the best “match” for you based on specs (either yours, the topper, or the mattress) or “theory at a distance” with any certainty … post #2 here and the topper guidelines that it links to can help you use your actual sleeping experience as a guideline and reference point to choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the best chance of success.

There isn’t an “optimal” blend because it would depend on your preferences, budget, and on the type of latex you are considering (either Dunlop or Talalay). Talalay only comes in two versions which are either a blend that is “about” 70% synthetic and 30% natural blend (some manufacturers list it as 60/40 although it’s closer to 70/30) or 100% natural. Molded Dunlop is most commonly found in 100% natural (although you can sometimes find it in natural/synthetic blends that can range down to 15% natural and 85% synthetic) and with continuous pour Dunlop you find will usually be either 100% natural, 20% natural and 80% synthetic, or 100% synthetic. Each of these can have a different “feel” or properties and cost but they are all good quality and durable materials. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here that may also help you choose between them.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix for your quick response.

My mattress is firm which is why I’m thinking of a soft topper to alleviate the discomfort. As I mentioned before, my research indicates that the talalay latex type is softer and would work better in my situation. I suppose I need to go to some mattress stores and actually try out some toppers to see how they feel.

I’m also wondering if the 100% natural topper is softer than the blended type. I’m willing to pay a little extra if it’s worth it.

Again, thanks!

Hi IEAngelsfan,

Most people that are considering a topper have a mattress that is too firm for them but the key is “how much” too firm is it which is the more subjective part of choosing a topper since each person experiences softness and firmness differently (which is why I wrote the topper guidelines using more subjective criteria).

This would depend on the relative ILD’s of the talalay and another type of latex you were comparing it to. All types and blends of latex come in a range of firmness levels so Talalay can feel softer, the same firmness, or firmer than other types of latex although it does tend to “feel” firmer for most people if the ILD is the same as 100% natural Dunlop. There is more about the difference between Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here.

There is more about the difference between 100% natural Talalay and blended Talalay in post #2 here. Natural rubber is denser than synthetic rubber and has a higher compression modulus (which is the rate that a foam material becomes firmer as you compress it more deeply) which also has an effect on how soft or firm a topper feels so a natural topper would feel a little more “supportive” and resilient than a blended topper but a blended topper can be a little more pressure relieving (you will sink into it a little more deeply) if the ILD’s are the same (which they often aren’t because they can come in different ILD’s). There is also more about the different factors that can affect how soft a material (or a topper) feels in post #4 here. Having said all that … with only a 2" or a 3" Talalay latex topper most people would feel little if any difference between natural or blended versions.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for the links, that’s a lot of info to absorb, but it’s good.

Based on your information, I’ll be looking into either a blended talalay for the combined benefits of both NR and SBR materials or a natural dunlop since I’m looking in the lower IDL range.

Hi IEAngelsfan,

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course your comments and feedback once you have a chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix