Latex topper

Hi Miko (Michael),

I like the idea of having a softer shoulder zone and it’s also very uncommon to see a high quality polyfoam that is also Oeko-Tex certified which is generally a step above CertiPur certification.

It sounds to me like you made a great choice in terms of materials, design, quality, and value and you also have good options if you need them.

I appreciate your feedback on the forum … it will be valuable for others that are in your area.

Most of all … Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I thought I was done, but no such luck. Luckily, I have exchange options.

My custom foam mattress (5" high density eco-foam, 2" latex + my 1.5" wool topper) kept buckling and slipping over the 3" steel Murphy bed frame. The pelvic area sagged some and I was perspiring greatly in the head and shoulders area, probably because my shoulders were happily sinking into the latex.

The seller gave me two options:

Glue a 1" layer of firm foam on the bottom of my existing foam composite mattress. This would bring my mattress height to 9 1/2". My maximum mattress height for the Murphy bed is 11". I’m still worried about the heat and I have my doubts that this altered mattress would stay in the frame. From another seller:

My second (probably preferred) option is to go with a spring mattress (see below). I’m hoping that it will breathe more. I could still use my wool topper.

Any advice?

Thanks (again),

Michael

Translated from the Matelas Selection website:

http://www.matelasselection.com/detail.php?code=MENS-3975

Supreme collection pocket spring
Queen 60x80
warranty: 15 years
Pocket spring foam mattress

Product Description:

High quality at low prices. This proven product combines the best spring individually bagged and high density foam.

• The best gauge pocket springs (682 springs);
  • Additional double side on the entire circumference of the pocket coil reinforcements;
  • 2 felted thermoset insulation to prevent wear and provide more comfort;
  • Two generous layers of high density foam, low compression (soft) for an area of soft sleep surface;
  • A silky natural bamboo Nature Proof of first quality ventilated padded fiber and foam to minimize permanent deformation after intensive use and comfort.

This mattress is designed to absorb and damp movements and to prevent transfer of the waves caused by movements of a user. A central area, the pelvis is also enhanced with larger springs and resistant to better withstand the heaviest area of the body, or the pelvis.

height: 9"
Firmness: From semi-soft extra-firm with good flexibility

Hi Miko,

I have no direct experience with Murphy beds so I would not be the best source of advice.

In cases like this … my “best advice” is to encourage you to talk with several people who are more knowledgeable about Murphy beds which are usually the manufacturers who make them and talk to them about the specifics of your situation. While many mattress manufacturers would have some experience with Murphy beds … all Murphy bed manufacturers would have a great deal of experience with how different mattresses perform on their beds. This is what I did in post #64 here as an example because in areas where I have little specific knowledge I always talk to people who are more knowledgeable than I am.

You will find some conflicting advice and opinions even when you talk with “experts” who have different experiences but when you do this you will also find some consistent “themes” which will help you make more informed “best judgement” decisions.

Logic says to me that an innerspring mattress is stiffer and less floppy than a mattress that has a foam core and would probably do better on a Murphy bed than a more “floppy” mattress.

I can see from your comments that you’ve probably read this but for the benefit of others that read this post #2 here talks in more detail about the many interacting factors that in combination can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress for those who are looking to “cool down” their mattress.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

The consensus is in - and it seems that sprongs (that’s springs - I hope there are no sprongs) are the best option for Murphy beds, so I’ll go with that. And the spring mattress in question seems to have built in zoning (longer springs under hips area).

“Post # 2 here” says I don’t have access …

Hi Miko,

That makes perfect and logical sense to me :slight_smile:

Oops … the link I posted had an extra space in it for some reason so I’ve corrected it … thanks.

Phoenix