Latex Toppers are really expensive

I know this question is the equivalent of asking how long a hypothetical piece of string is but I still have to ask. Double bed size two inch thick latex toppers nudge $400 (in Canada). Are they really worth this much? They are if they do the job, of course, but does a mere 2 inches do the job? On top of ordinary foam? Or would it be better if there were two inches of memory foam in between? Of course for some people they do and for some they don’t and there’s no answer to these questions. This site is a great resource but it’s still hard to know when there’s no place to try them out.

Hi rgs,

I think you probably answered your own question and for some people the answer would be yes and for others it would be no.

The choice of material is really a personal preference so there is no “better or worse” when it comes to the choice of materials. For people that preferred the feel, performance, and durability of latex and sleep better on it than other materials the answer as to whether they were “worth it” would be a clear yes for those who prefer memory foam the answer would probably be no.

The softness and thickness of a topper that works best for you will really depend on your body type, sleeping positions, and preferences along with the specifics of the mattress you are using it on (the same topper will feel and perform differently on different mattresses) but post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to in post #8 here have more information about choosing a topper based on your actual experience sleeping on a mattress that may be useful in terms of the type, thickness, and softness of a topper that may work best for you.

Post #21 here also has some of the better sources that ship mattresses to anywhere in Canada and many of these also sell toppers.

Phoenix