Latex toppers

Hi Phoenix
I seem to like a firm support mattress–but do not want memory foam comfort layer, which is what is on mattresses I have tried. I would like a separate latex topper-either Talalay or Dunlop. I read one is like angel cake & the other like pound cake., but don’t know how it feels. I’m thinking 2 or 3 ", maybe med-ILD of 28-30—but I’m just guessing from what I’ve read. Is there anywhere regionally I can test out different latex toppers??? Also, is it best to have a separate cover for topper? And then a protective pad-waterproof?

If getting an adjustable bed, any problems with the topper shifting?

Oops. Forgot to tell you I am in area of Port Clinton, Ohio 43452 (between Toledo & Cleveland)

Hi Chelsea,

You can see my comments about choosing a firmer mattress first with the intention of adding a softer topper later (where you can’t test the combination in person) in post #2 here.

In most cases I would avoid this approach because of the uncertainty involved with making two purchase choices instead of only one and choosing a topper that would be suitable in terms of thickness, firmness, and PPP for a specific person on a specific mattress can sometimes be almost as difficult as choosing a mattress that doesn’t need a topper in the first place. I would generally focus on choosing a mattress that is likely to be a suitable match without a topper (unless you can test the combination in person or you are purchasing both online as a “set” that is designed to work together and they both have a good return/exchange policy) and then use the option to add a topper as a “backup” strategy in case your initial choice is too firm and doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for rather than a “primary” strategy.

If you do decide to try the mattress/topper strategy then if the only issue with a mattress is that it is too firm and there are no soft spots or sagging in the mattress then a good quality topper can certainly be an effective way to add some additional softness, “comfort” and pressure relief to your sleeping system but the only way to know for certain whether a specific mattress/topper combination is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP is based on your own careful testing or personal experience on the combination. If you can’t test the combination in person then there will always be always some risk and uncertainty involved in adding a topper because the specifics of the mattress itself along with your own body type, sleeping position, and preferences can affect which specific topper would be a suitable choice on any specific mattress.

There is more information about choosing a topper and a link to the better online sources I’m aware of in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. A good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase just in case the topper you choose doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

If a mattress/topper combination turns out to be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP then having a separate topper does have the advantage of being able to replace just the topper without replacing the entire mattress if it softens or breaks down before the upper foam layers in the mattress (which is often likely because the upper layers of a sleeping system tend to soften or break down before the deeper layers) or if your needs or preferences change over time. A suitable topper can also help extend the useful life of the mattress underneath it because it will absorb some of the compression forces that can soften or break down the top layers of the mattress underneath it over time.

There is more about some of the general differences between Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here but the best way to know which type of latex you tend to prefer will be based on your own testing and/or your own personal experience.

Unless you can test the mattress/topper combination in person … I would sleep on just the mattress first and then use your experience on the mattress to help you decide on the thickness and firmness of the topper.

I’ve already linked the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that are close to you in my reply in your other topic here.

I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or toppers or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but checking their websites and especially making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the local lists that you are considering is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with or visit anyway. This will tell you which of them carry mattresses or toppers that would meet your specific criteria, are transparent about the materials in their mattresses, and that carry the type of mattresses or toppers that you are interested in that are also in the budget range you are comfortable with. Once you have checked their websites and/or talked with the ones that interest you then you will be in a much better position to decide on the ones (if any) that you are most interested in considering or visiting based on the results of your preliminary research and conversations.

Latex can oxidize faster with exposure to air and ozone and ultraviolet light along with other substances that can damage it (see here) and it’s generally a good idea for latex to have a suitable dedicated cover to give it the best possible protection and to help maximize it’s useful lifetime. It can also help protect it with handling. There is more in post #3 here and post #3 here that will give you some sense of the effect of different types of covers on latex.

Yes I would use a topper underneath a mattress protector. There is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and some examples of each of them in post #89 here.

Latex is very flexible, heavy, and “sticky” and will generally stay in place very well although it’s also simple to move a topper back into position if it does shift a little over the longer term.

Phoenix