Latex v Memory foam

Hello
My girlfriend and I are trying to decide between two pocket spring mattresses, one with a latex foam layer and the other with memory foam. Both are quite nice to lie on and have a sinking sensation that I dont mind, however I am concerned about the heat retention properties of memory foam, and I have heard that Latex while great for durability and support are regarded as inferior to memory foam in the comfort stakes.

Neither of us have any back or joint issues, we are both side sleepers and seeking somethat this is comfortable and not too hot to sleep on. We live in hot Australian climate but in summer generally have the A/C turned on at night.

Is there a general consenses whether memory foam or latex is better when combined with a pocket spring? Also do you have a recommendation of whether a mattress should on the firmer or plush side? Comfort is of immense importance but not as the expense of support or sleeping cool.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Hi rusty83,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The choice between using latex or memory foam in the upper comfort layers would really come down to a personal preference. Latex has an unusual combination of surface softness and deeper firmness/support that comes from its elasticity, it’s point elasticity (ability to conform to the shape of a body) and its compression modulus (the ability to get firmer faster with deeper compression than other types of foam). This means that it can enhance the pressure relieving layers above it because of its surface softness and point elasticity but it is also very supportive and can “stop” the heavier parts of the body from sinking in too deeply. It is also very resilient (it returns a high percentage of the energy of compression instead of absorbing it like memory foam which has very low resilience) so it can enhance the “feel” of the mattress by making it more responsive and more adaptable to different body profiles and sleeping positions rather than the less responsive feeling of memory foam. Latex is also a very durable material (it’s the most durable of all the foam types) so it can add to the durability of a mattress compared to other materials but the deeper layers of a mattress have less effect on mattress durability (a mattress will soften and break down from the top down) and more of an effect on performance and support/alignment so this would be less of a factor in its use. Both memory foam and latex are very point elastic, with the higher resiliency of latex providing a better surface for repositioning, while memory foam will be difficult to reposition upon (it has a higher hysteresis), but it is superior at motion deadening. All memory foam would generally be considered soft (lower ILD range), where latex can be produced in various ILD ranges from soft to firm, and comes in Dunlop or Talalay, each with its own characteristics. And remember that all of the layers of a mattress work together, so don’t forget to consider every layer of material within any mattress you’re considering, making sure that they meet the durability guidelines listed here (all latex would generally be considered a durable material).

All foams are insulators to an extent, but memory foam will tend to be the least breathable of all materials, and latex (specifically Talalay) will tend to be the most breathable. There is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

I’m not sure where you would have heard that, as it would come down to a personal preference. Both materials can be quite comfortable for individuals.

There’s a bit more information about appropriate componentry for various sleeping positions in this article.

For temperature, in very general terms … the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses or foam toppers will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer versions of the same material.

The links and comments provided in the first part of my reply should answer your first two questions. You are correct that support is key with any mattress, and I speak about this in more detail here.

I hope that information is useful to you.

Phoenix