Latex vs Memory Foam innerspring hybrids

Hi Phoenix, Locally, its come down to two innerspring hybrids by factory direct manufacturer. I think ive got two good quality no weak link choices. Having already had an initial info gathering visit, i returned for a comfort and support test which is where i hit a small snag. Here are the specs of both mattresses ( pretty much identical minus the type of foam):

3" Gel Latex- blended Talaylay IDL 19
1-1.5" convoluted 1.8lb hd polyfoam
5-6" pocketcoil innerspring

Mattress 2:

3" gel memory foam 4.17lb density ( im not sure of exact # but im certain it was 4 point something).
1-1.5" convoluted 1.8lb hd polyfoam
5-6" pocketed innerspring

My experience with laying on both has created some concerns within my decisionmaking. I have read through the tutorial posts on comfort, proper alignment and have taken all the info into account. While i did find laying on the latex version was like floating on air, i did find it abit “springier” than i hoped but that being said , on my back it was divine. On my side, i was comfortable but i asked the person with me to check my alignment and they first told me they could clearly see my thigh/bottom area dipping into the mattress but it “seemed” my alignment was ok. We switched positions so i could see the effect (we are similar body types) and i did notice the butt area forming a dip in the mattress but with from what i could tell as well an ok alignment. O.o This did not happen on the memory foam model and although it has a firmer feel, i guess i have the idea that it may be more supportive guess because of that.

Is a dip in a latex mattress normal or not so much? Ive come across two diagrams :
This one has a graphic of a woman lying on her side, showing proper alignment, but there is also a dip in the latex where parts of her body mold into the mattress.
https://www.cozypure.com/latex-mattresses/pure-performance-core-support-natural-latex-organic-mattress-with-5-zone-latex-core

Then, i found this graphic on this site that seemed to show that proper alignment would not cause a dip where the poor alignment would.
http://sleeplikeabear.com/files/2689726/uploaded/buyersguide_firmness_guide.jpg

I realize this is all quite general but the fact that i caused a noticable dip in the latex innerspring model makes me wonder if the latex is just too soft for me? Im not sure how well i can trust the “ok” on proper alignment by the person with me but the owner also verified my alignment was ok. I just want to cover all my bases in understanding latex and wanted to address this dip and if it is a normal occurrance in a soft latex bed?

Could the over-resilient feeling i get from the top of the latex innerspring model be remedied by placing a memory foam pad on top? Or a latex topper with a higher IDL?

Lastly, one thing i had failed to consider is that i happen to spend a lot of time sitting on my bed. This would mean more compression than just the nightly aspect of sleeping on it. With a 4.17lb memory foam density, how much should i take this into account in it possibly creating permanent indentations?

Thanks for your time!

Hi brc722,

You’re right that neither of these mattresses have any weak links in their construction in terms of quality or durability.

A mattress needs to adapt to your body and take on the shape of your sleeping profile so this is not just normal but necessary for all mattresses … not just latex. Some parts of your body need to sink in more than others or you would have the equivalent of sleeping on the floor (which doesn’t “dip” at all). The key is that each part of your body sinks in “enough” so that your spine is in its neutral alignment and your muscles can completely relax and “let go” so there is no muscle tension from your muscles trying to keep you in alignment instead of the mattress. You can read more about this in post #6 here.

[quote]Ive come across two diagrams :
This one has a graphic of a woman lying on her side, showing proper alignment, but there is also a dip in the latex where parts of her body mold into the mattress.
www.cozypure.com/latex-mattresses/pure-p...th-5-zone-latex-core

Then, i found this graphic on this site that seemed to show that proper alignment would not cause a dip where the poor alignment would.
sleeplikeabear.com/files/2689726/uploade...e_firmness_guide.jpg[/quote]

The second diagram is more of a schematic that shows some general information about what can happen to the spine if a mattress is either too soft or too firm. It doesn’t really reflect what sleeping on a mattress actually looks like as accurately as the picture on the cozy pure site (although this is also a little bit “idealized”).

I wouldn’t worry as much about how much each area of your body may be sinking in as much as your actual spinal alignment and whether your muscles can “let go” and relax in all your sleeping positions.

In general adding a thinner less resilient layer can reduce the “feel” of the resilience of the latex yes. This is one of the reasons that different mattresses use different quilting layers over latex (or in some cases no quilting layers at all). There is more about this in post #12 here.

The key here is that the topper or the quilting layer aren’t so thick that they affect PPP more than just the “feel” of the mattress.

4 lb memory foam would generally be less durable than latex (or higher density memory foam) yes although if you sit on the edge of your mattress it wouldn’t affect where you sleep as much and there are also other factors involved in the durability of a mattress and its useful comfort life relative to each person (see post #4 here). The bigger issue than actual impressions is foam softening (or what you could call virtual impressions that aren’t visible) and if you are in a higher weight range (in the range of 200 lbs or so or higher) then this is something that I would factor in to your personal value equation in combination with your conversations with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer yes.

Phoenix

Yes, id have to agree that picture on Cozy Pure is abit “idealised”! Phew! I dont think my dips were quite so perfect! :whistle:

Id be interested in looking into wool mattress pads. I think that could help lessen the pushback of the latex as this latex model uses a non-quilted type of cover, leaving you closer to the latex. Do you have any brand recommendations?

Would you be able to approximate what a quality constructed (latex or memory foam) hybrid innerspring would cost ? I have found no other models or companies to use as comparisons, so an approximate ballpark range would be informative. Also, is it true that the cost raw materials will be going up in March which would cause price increases at manufacturers/retailers?

Thanks!

Hi brc722,

I don’t have any specific brand recommendations no but there is a list of some manufacturers and suppliers for wool toppers or mattress pads in post #3 here that would be well worth talking to.

Unfortunately there are just too many variables and variations of any category of mattress to be able to even name a reasonable range. There are some VERY generic guidelines here (which would be risky and misleading to take too literally) but these are “approximate” at best and “reasonable and fair value” could could be anywhere from well under $1000 to over $2500 (or higher) depending on the specifics of the construction, materials, components, and design of the mattress. The only way to make meaningful value comparisons is to make comparisons between specific mattresses that you are considering based on their materials, components, design, and construction and the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you. Anything else is just too “theoretical”. The websites of the members of the site listed here (or the online members listed here) would also make good “value comparisons” for most types of mattresses.

A quote from this post would also apply here …

I don’t know about any specific price increases or who or what it may apply to although they are a fairly frequent occurrence.

Phoenix