Latex...what does term "Proprietary multi zone construction" mean?

What does the term “Proprietary multi zone construction” mean in describing the Natures Embrace UNISON organic latex mattress? I have put a deposit on this mattress and am now concerned that this term may mean the mattress contains some foam, not latex.
Here is how the UNISON content is described:

Quilted European Style 100% Organic Cotton Cover
4.5lbs of 100% Pure Wool (queen size)
100% Certified Organic Dunlop Latex
Proprietary multi zone construction
Available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen and KingTexel pure virgin wool
8" or 10" thick
Medium. Medium-Firm, Firm, or Extra Firm
Made in Canada
10/20 Warranty

Hi Bedlookingrant,

The only materials in the Nature’s Embrace Unison are GOLS Certified organic Dunlop latex along with the organic wool quilted cotton cover. There is no polyfoam or other types of foam or lower quality materials in the mattress and there are no weak links in the design.

Zoning means that there are different firmness levels in different sections of the mattress to provide different levels of support for heavier or lighter parts of the body. Typically there is firmer latex under the hips/pelvis which is heavier and softer latex under the shoulders which are lighter and need to sink in more easily to provide better alignment over the course of the night. There is more about zoning in post #11 here.

Proprietary just means that they don’t disclose the specifics of exactly how they zone the mattress or it’s specific internal design (other than the type and blend of the latex which is important to know) so that other manufacturers can’t copy their design.

The Unison mattress is a high quality organic Dunlop latex mattress that would be well worth considering for those that like the feel and performance of 100% natural Dunlop latex.

Phoenix

Thank you for your fast response. I feel relieved after reading your explanation of the term. The UNISON mattress was very comfortable and my husband and I spent time testing it out, as well as testing the “Snug Sleep” latex 8". It was a tough choice between the two, the “Snug Sleep” 2LGU 3med 3Firm vs the Unison 2GLU 3firm 3firm. In the end we chose the Unison because it had a softer more comfortable feel. The Snug Sleep felt a little too firm. Interesting that the manufacturers of the Unison don’t disclose the specifics of how their latex mattress is “zoned” so that other manufacturers can’t copy their design!

Hi Bedlookingrant,

I have talked with Renelle (who makes the Nature’s Embrace mattresses) on a number of occasions and think highly of them and FWIW my daughter prefers Dunlop over Talalay and purchased one of their Nature’s Embrace Dunlop latex mattresses in Vancouver and loves it (see post #4 here).

Phoenix