latex with memory foam

Hi debating,

I do think highly of Majestic but I donā€™t know which of their mattresses your question is referring to. The 6" and 8" Restore mattresses and the Unison mattresses that they list on their website here are ā€œall latexā€ mattresses that use certified organic Dunlop latex and donā€™t contain any synthetic latex or any other synthetic foam materials (only 100% natural Dunlop latex can be certified organic).

They are clearly wrong.

I think that Iā€™ve answered this in my previous replies. All the latex you are likely to encounter (either Dunlop or Talalay that is made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will have a reliable certification such as Oeko-Tex, Eco-Institut, or Greenguard Gold (see post #2 here) and based on actual testing I would consider any type or blend of latex to be a very ā€œsafeā€ material in terms of harmful substances and VOCā€™s but the only way to make specific comparisons about VOCā€™s between any specific materials or mattresses would be based on seeing the lab testing results.

Phoenix

thanks a ton, i think ive made my decision for tomorrow, innovative sleep solutions which i found in your link says they have the same brand latex beds as majestic but can give a better deal so i hope its just as trustworthy as majestic? the bed i have in mind is called tower, its by renell natures embrace organic100%(they said its more like 97% pure and then the binding agents of course). its a ten inch one for less than 2000 with boxing week. seems great, i hope the company innovative sleep is trsutworthy cuz im ready to buy it :slight_smile:

Hi debating,

It would depend on whether you are comparing exactly the same mattress (most manufacturers make a range of different mattresses).

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between ā€œgood and goodā€ and none of them have any lower quality materials or ā€œweak linksā€ in their design relative to your weight range and if there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations about each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials or types and blends of latex, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on ā€œinformed best judgementā€ based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

thanks! i just called he said its by renell natures embrace just like at majestic so as long as its a trustworthy company then i know the model (Tower) i want. i just trust it based on the link because ive called a place before that was selling latex at suspiciously low prices and had some bad reviews of getting a different bed,not pure like what theyd seen

Hi Debating,

Natureā€™s Embrace is the name of a lineup of mattresses not an individual mattress so you would need to make sure that the specific mattresses you are comparing are the same in both stores.

I donā€™t see a ā€œTowerā€ model on the Natureā€™s Embrace site.

Phoenix

sorry last question i see on the majestic site they offer MEmory Biofoam coolgel and viscoformā€¦would this be still under the category of memory foam with bigger traces of fermaldahyde etc than latex or just miniscule? also i noticed the natures embrace is not what id tried actually since it looks different and smooth and not wool coverā€¦does the wool soften the bed?

its the coolgel 7300 certipure https://www.majesticfuton.com/3320.php just dont know if the biofoam and gel part takes away the bigger incidence of fermaldehyde and heavy chems compared to latex

Hi debating,

Once again ā€¦ the only way to know the level of formaldehyde or any specific VOCā€™s in any material or mattress is based on seeing the lab testing results. All you can know for certain is whether it is under the testing limits for the certification that it has.

The coolgel is a memory foam that has gel added to the memory foam. There is more information about gel memory foams in post #2 here.

Again ā€¦ Natureā€™s Embrace is the name of a whole lineup of mattresses ā€¦ not a specific mattress.

You can read more about the effects of wool quilting in post #6 here. The only reliable way to know whether one mattress feels softer or firmer to you than another one will be based on your own careful testing or personal experience because it would also depend on all the other layers and components in the mattress other than the wool quilted cover and how they all interact together when you lie on it.

Phoenix

Hi I wondered how to find out about dormeos lack of worst chemicals since its European foam (supposedly this should indicate its got a higher standard but the guy doesnt know of any tests to proveā€¦should i trust it? he said fermaldehyde etc is only from Chinaā€¦the dormeo is heaven on my shoulder and supposedly they had one bad batch of foam but will be durable nowā€¦i hope the warranty with sleep country canada will be ok if the memory foam coil and lumbar support sagsā€¦

http://www.trydormeo.com/ they also have a model on the american site to try risk free but i dont know if i can trust it wont be problematic

Hi debating,

Once again ā€¦ the only way to know the level of formaldehyde or any specific VOCā€™s in any material or mattress is based on seeing the lab testing results. All you can know for certain is whether it is under the testing limits for any certification that it has.

The most important part of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase is how well it matches your unique needs and preferences in terms of ā€œcomfortā€ and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). No matter what the quality or price of a mattress or how long it will last ā€¦ if itā€™s not a good match for you and you donā€™t sleep well on the mattress it would have little value to you.

Outside of PPP ā€¦ the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you canā€™t ā€œfeelā€ and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the type and quality of all the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label so I would always make sure that you are able to find out the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components in a mattress to the quality/durability guidelines here so you can confirm that there are no lower quality materials or obvious weak links in a mattress that would compromise the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

A warranty is important to guard against manufacturing defects in the materials or components inside a mattress that can happen on rare occasions but I would also keep in mind that mattress warranties only cover manufacturing defects and they donā€™t cover the gradual (or more rapid in the case of lower quality comfort layers) loss of comfort and support that comes from foam softening that is the main reason that most people will need to replace their mattress. In other words warranties have little to do with the durability or useful life of a mattress or how long it may be until you need to buy a new mattress. If there is an actual defect in the materials it will usually show up early in the life of the mattress but knowing the quality and durability of the materials in your mattress is always a much more reliable way to assess the durability and useful life of a mattress than the length of a warranty. There is more about mattress warranties in post #174 here.

There is also more about the Dormeo Octaspring mattresses in this topic and in this topic and a forum search on Dormeo and on Octaspring will bring up more comments and feedback about them as well.

Phoenix

thank you but how can i find out about reliable testing in europe (i dont know their equivalent of certipure and dormeo can do same as essentia and say its had its own good testing

Hi debating,

They would need to tell you about any testing that has been done on their mattresses.

Essentia has some information about their VOC emissions here.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix have you ever tried a wool bed?i heard it has more give than latex but never seen one to try if itā€™s supportive and wouldnā€™t it clump or become uneven (my dad said cotton ones did in his childhood but maybe itā€™s the make). I like latex and want to go natural but latex and springs are too firm on my shoulder unless I get it too soft. I considered shepherds dream online

Hi debating,

No ā€¦ Iā€™ve never slept on a wool mattress.

My general comments about wool toppers in post #8 here and the other posts it links to would apply to wool mattresses as well.

Phoenix

Hi I will try out obasan in victoria at goodplanet by sleeptekā€¦its a big investment and the idea is its customized so it can be softer on the shoulder and firmer on the back and its moving compartments that they seal in a tight case. could this cause any problem? they said you dont feel any gap or drastic difference in textureā€¦ any thoughts? basically as a back and side sleeper who needs pressure relief it sounds niceā€¦although i wonder if the back part is firm wont that be too firm on the hip on the side and still produce the smae dilemma? gona go there and try sopon. i basically love the feel of dormeo but want to avoid the chemicals (heard it offgasses for years even under a cover) and anything but a too soft latex bed is too hard on my hips and shoulderā€¦ also have you heard of Plasma beds at Sleep mart? also from memory foam and they said they have the equivalent of certipure (hope its credible) . they said the dormeo being of ā€œspringsā€ from memory foam can collapse inwards over time. btw Obasan said they wash the protein to reduce developing allergy risk as ive heard latex is a big oneā€¦dono if organic beds under a cover count though.

alternatively i could get a queen split or two singles to have different sides for back and side (i dont turn at night but if my back hurts to sleep and with my fatigue i spend a longer time in bed)ā€¦but they said at majestic they dont know how this model would perform (gap/groove and also if they cut it would it possibly be wobbly and off on one side etc? because im still not sure if the pricier customized bed can really help back and side since it may be either too firm on the hip or too soft on the back

Hi debating,

Zoning systems can sometimes be very useful and worth considering for people who have more challenging circumstances or sensitivities, body types that are more difficult to ā€œmatchā€ to a mattress, more complex medical issues, or who have a history of having more difficulty in finding a mattress that works well for them. There is more about zoning in this article and in post #11 here and the additional posts it links to.

Latex is also heavy and ā€œstickyā€ and tends to stay in place inside a suitable tight fitting cover so there isnā€™t generally any issue with the latex shifting.

The only reliable way to know whether a zoned mattress would be a better ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of PPP than another mattress that either isnā€™t zoned or has a different zoning configuration will be based on your own careful testing and personal experience.

There is more about Plasmabed and SleepMart in post #2 here and in this topic along with the other posts and the forum search it links to that may be helpful. I would always make sure that any retailer or manufacturer you are dealing with can provide you with all the information listed here about the materials and components inside their mattress before considering any purchase.

While a latex allergy is certainly possible ā€¦ it would be normally be to the dipped latex that is used in gloves, balloons, and condoms etc and it would be very unusual with foamed latex because it is washed and it would usually require direct physical contact with the latex itself without a cover over the latex. There is more about latex allergies and sensitivities in post #2 here.

If you are referring to a split layer mattress where the split layers are inside a single cover then you can see some comments about the pros and cons of a side to side split in post #2 here.

If you are referring to having two separate mattresses (such as two twin XL mattresses to make up a king size) then there are some comments in post #8 here and in this topic about the pros and cons of a split king mattress.

Phoenix

You are right Phoenix. The ā€œTowerā€ is one of Majesticā€™s own configurations so it wouldnā€™t be on the Natureā€™s Embrace website. It is the one I am considering trading in my ā€œSunsetā€ for which is another Majestic configuration.

Hi! Iā€™m wondering if by any chance you bought the ā€œTowerā€ at Majestic? I recently bought the Sunset which is a bit softer than Tower and also 10inch. The Sunset is I think a bit too soft or not supportive enough for my 200+ pound husband. We are thinking of comfort exchanging it for the Tower. Was wondering how you found the comfort of it if you ended up buying it. Let me know, thanks!