Latex with polyfoam core vs 100% latex

Been doing my share of research on latex mattress. Thanks for the info on this site, it has been very helpful.

Was hoping to have a question or two answered:

How durable will Latex comfort layer on top of a polyfoam core be? Outside of all the other qualities of Latex, I want really good durability from a sag perspective. I was looking at the Diamond Mattress, Ethos Nature Peace, however it’s only 2" of latex, on polyfoam. If I’m getting a latex mattress, I think I want more of it :wink:

I’ve been looking for an affordable >100%< natural Latex mattress, and I’m staring to think that doesn’t exist.
I called www.foamorder.com (out of San Francisco… my area), and a pure latex firm in Eastern King checked in at $2600 which is about $1000 higher than what i was hoping for.

I’d be ok with Latex on Polyfoam, Innerspring or some other core I suppose, however I want to make sure I don’t get problematic sag after a couple years. My wife and I both need firm mattress. I also just stumbled on Ikea’s latex mattress lineup, however not sure how I feel about that.

Hi Stevegrossie,

The closer to the top of a mattress a layer is … the more mechanical stress it is subject to and the more durability of material becomes an issue. In the case of the Peace … the top 2" is latex which means the most durable material is on the top which is good but then the rest of the comfort layer and the support layer below it is polyfoam. In the case of polyfoam … the denser the foam … the more durable it will be. The best quality polyfoam approaches latex in its durability but this is rare to see in most mattresses. Typically support layers are in the range of 1.8 lb and higher which generally work well in terms of durability (as a reference … tempurpedic for example is about 2.2 lbs). Softer polyfoams are also less durable than firmer polyfoams as they are also subject to more mechanical stress. I would want to know the density of the polyfoam in the comfort layers in the mattress because this will play a bigger role in its durability than the polyfoam in the support core.

The tradeoff of course is that the more latex there is to replace polyfoam … the more expensive the mattress will be.

There are some good San Francisco options in Post #2 here in case you haven’t seen them which have some very good value and would be well worth including in your research.

$1600 is “on the low side” for most all latex king size mattresses but of course this depends on the thickness of the mattress, the type of latex, the ticking/quilting, the overall mattress construction and layering as well as the differences between different outlets.

Latex mattress that use a latex comfort layer over good quality polyfoam or innersprings can be a very good option either for those who prefer an innerspring feel or for those who are looking for the benefits of latex in the comfort layer but don’t have the budget for a latex support core.

The Ikea Sultan Edsele is 85% natural latex using continuous pour Dunlop. While this isn’t the same quality as molded 6" cores from other Dunlop sources … it’s certainly better quality than Dunlop blends that have a higher SBR (synthetic latex) content and it has good value. It may be necessary for many people to add a topper to this as it would be quite firm by most standards.

Overall I would probably take some time on the phone with some of the San Francisco outlets I listed earlier and talk with them about their options and pricing. There are some very good choices there. While they are a ways from San Francisco … I would certainly include Bay Bed in your phone research. They are a member of this site and may well be worth the drive.

Phoenix

thanks Phoenix

One thing I have read is that if a Latex Mattress is not wrapped right, it can be subject to premature biodegredation. This would show itself first on the edges of the mattress, where edges can get stiff and crumble.

Have you any experience with that, or have seen problems with that in Latex Mattresses? Not sure if this is specific to certain types of latex vs others…

If you figure out what kind of latex you prefer you might check out online retailers. Mattresses.net has been the best deal Ive found outside of Foam By Mail or Ebay. They’'ll do a 100% all Talalay Cal King for $1400+shipping. He does custom sizes, too, so I’m sure he could do an Eastern King. He also offer Dunlop, natural talalay, and a bunch of other options. I’m pretty sure you could get almost anything you want for under $2000.

Good luck!

Mike

Hi stevegrossie,

[quote]One thing I have read is that if a Latex Mattress is not wrapped right, it can be subject to premature biodegredation. This would show itself first on the edges of the mattress, where edges can get stiff and crumble.

Have you any experience with that, or have seen problems with that in Latex Mattresses? Not sure if this is specific to certain types of latex vs others… [/quote]

This is absolutely right and is one of the reasons that a good ticking is really important with latex regardless of type. There’s a little more information about this in post #2 here.

While this wouldn’t be an issue with a good manufacturer … I would be somewhat wary with cheaper thinner covers or even worse yet some rather dubious outlets who in an effort to sell cheaper materials will tell you that it’s fine to put a zippered mattress protector around the latex instead of a real mattress ticking. A good cover is well worth it when the materials inside it are high quality and more costly.

Phoenix