LatexBliss Mattress Durability & Quality

I’ve been reading and lying down on what seems like an endless number of articles and mattresses. I managed to find a smaller mattress store which I find to be much less of a sales pitch, but either way wanted to ask about LatexBliss mattresses.

Overall, I seem to find good ratings and readings on these mattresses, including other recent posts. The two LatexBliss models I’m considering are:
A] Pamper natural latex firm mattress + 2" plush topper
B] Nature natural latex med mattress (no topper)

My questions surround these topics of durability and quality:

1. What makes the natural latex mix last longer compared to the all-natural latex?
  2. Is a protective cover (eg. mattress pad) recommended? I’ve heard it changes the feel of the mattress… how bad does it change?
  3. Would a mattress + topper, or mattress-only be better in terms of durability? I know it’d be cheap to just change the topper in case of body impressions, but does it really matter? (assume same comfort)
  4. I’ve heard stores laugh when asking about mattress toppers, because apparently they move around when sleeping and ends up being mis-positioned, uncomfortable, troublesome, etc. How much truth is in this about toppers?
  5. Why should I avoid buying a LatexBliss latex mattress? (I basically am hoping to find out any other thoughts I may have missed, since it’s easy to find the good things!)

Side question - does anybody know how badly these latex mattresses will affect those allergic to latex? What are dos and don’ts? They obviously won’t be sleeping on it, but I don’t want people to get sick/react just being in my home and possibly close to the bed.

Hi tomato,

If by “natural” you mean the blended Talalay latex (compared to the “all natural” Talalay which is 100% natural latex) then there is more information in post #2 here (about natural rubber vs synthetic rubber) and in post #2 here which compares the two types of Talalay latex.

Latex International (which owns Pure Latex bliss) also mentions here that their blended Talalay will last longer than their 100% natural Talalay.

I would always suggest a mattress protector yes. It will keep the sleeping surface more hygienic by preventing body fluids and skin cells from getting into the mattress (and feeding the dust mites) and it will also protect the warranty which is usually voided by even a slight stain on a mattress. Post # 89 here has more information about the different types of mattress protectors and the tradeoffs involved in each.

You can read more about the many factors that are involved in the durability and useful life of a mattress in post #4 here. A topper will generally extend the useful life of the layers below it yes and can be easily replaced without replacing the whole mattress but the down side is it can be more difficult to choose a topper that is a good “match” for a mattress and the person sleeping on it unless you have the chance to test them together (the mattress under the topper will be a big part of how a topper feels). Better quality and more durable toppers will last longer of course than lower quality toppers. If the comfort layers of a mattress use high quality materials then they can also last for a long time with or without a topper. The upper layers of a “sleeping system” are generally the weakest link in the mattress or sleeping system.

Good quality toppers are usually heavy (such as latex or memory foam) and if they are under a mattress protector and sheets they don’t shift much at all and if for some reason they do they are easy to re-position.

Pure Latex Bliss mattresses use high quality durable materials (latex) and there is no reason to avoid them if the mattress you are considering is a good match for you in terms of PPP and is the best value available to you in terms of your personal value equation. Regardless of which manufacturer uses it in their mattresses … latex is a high quality and durable material.

Most latex allergies are a contact allergy and are to different types of latex products such as dipped latex (including gloves, balloons, condoms, medical equipment) which are different from foamed latex latex which has had most of the surface proteins washed away. This is by far the most common type of latex allergy (and isn’t actually an allergy although most people call it that) and a latex mattress would be fine for these people. People who have a type 1 latex allergy on the other hand (which is rare but can be very serious) should avoid any contact with or proximity to natural rubber in any form. There is more about latex allergies in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix for your insight. I’ve read several articles/posts here, but how you keep linking to other posts is great since I seem to get further and further down the rabbit hole! I think I’m starting to settle on a few items, but thought I’d ask if you (or anybody else!) has had experience with the ESSENTIA mattresses?

Essentia’s website is interesting…

• Testimonials from big names/TV shows promoting their mattress
  • All natural (latex?) memory foam
  • Statements that there is no such thing as 100% natural Talalay
  • Dunlop is now as good as Talalay

So, a few questions for comparison:

1. What are Essentia’s mattresses like?
  2. Are they similar, or atleast worth comparing to latex and LatexBliss-type mattresses?
  3. How much truth are their statements?

The article that leaves me scratching my head.

Hi tomato,

I think there are a lot of people scratching their heads about Essentia and the strange claims and inaccurate information on their website.

Before you seriously consider Essentia or believe the claims they make I would read this thread and this thread and post #3 and #4 here.

Phoenix