LatexGel

I’ve been looking into a new mattress and I had no clue what I’m doing. I’ve read your beginner posts and everything and trust me, I’ve come a long way.

I’ve been considering two mattress, IntelliBed - Queen Relief Perfect Mattress and NexGel - Sweet Mornings Latex Gel

Basically the overall advice given is no one can choose your mattress. I know I’ll have to feel them both (actually have to call a Dr and ask to see if I can lay on thier mattress as IntelliBed has no retailers near me)

My question is, of these (or other similar builds and softnesses of mattresses) how do I get the down and dirty of their build quality and durability?

I am 6’ at 180lbs very combination sleeper and my partner is 5’ at 85lbs sleeps on her stomach. I want to stay more to the latex side because of our weight differences.

My budget for a mattress is $3k. have have severe shoulder pain and numbness in my arms when I sleep. Am I heading down the right way with my choices for builders/brands? I don’t care about the “name” just the quality.

Hi Iroh37,

If they are transparent about the materials in their mattress they will provide you with the information listed in this article when you talk with them on the phone so you can compare the quality of the materials to the guidelines here. If you list the specifics on the forum I’d also be happy to make some comments about the quality/durability of the materials and help you identify any weak links in the mattress. If they can’t or won’t provide you with the information you need to make an informed and “educated” choice then I would pass them by.

There is more about the different ways to choose a mattress in post #2 here that can help you reduce the risk involved in each of them. If you aren’t certain whether any mattress is a suitable choice for you in terms of PPP (either from careful testing or a more detailed conversation on the phone) then I would make sure that you have good options available after a purchase to either exchange the mattress (or individual layers in some cases) and/or return the mattress for a refund just in case your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses but it will come down to …

1. Testing carefully for suitability and PPP (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) and/or making sure that you have good exchange return options if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t certain.

2. Checking the materials inside the mattress for quality/durability and to make sure there are no weak links in the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix