layer softened up, exploring options

Phoenix,

I have a 6 dunlop support layer, with the Firm portion of it used as the middle layer and the Extra Firm as the bottom. THe comfort layer is a 3 inch Firm talalay and it has softened beyond preference. So I must now look at options on how to make the best out of this situation.

If I flip the 6 inch dunlop so that the extra firm side is in the middle, will that make a noticeable difference? The reason I ask before I try this out is because of back problems that don’t allow me to flip the bed at any moment.

If i must, can i put the talalay on the bottom of the denser dunlop layers? Even though i feel like the dunlop is too firm, I would rather sleep on that then on something too soft. THen I’m thinking I can use a two inch memory foam topper. My preference is for memory foam in this instance because it’s more affordable than another latex layer.

Hi Walkin,

Yes … for most people putting the X-Firm in the middle would make a noticeable difference in both comfort/pressure relief and support.

Yes … it would be OK to use the firm Talalay on the bottom and it would certainly change the feel and performance of the mattress as well. Outside of the ILD of each layer … there is more about the feel of Dunlop vs Talalay in post #7 here.

This would provide a softer comfort layer than any of the configurations you currently have so if firm Talalay is too soft I’m not sure it would be the most suitable choice for you if you prefer a firmer sleeping surface but this would be a preference choice.

Phoenix

Thank Pheonix. Would a 2inch 5lb density topper (memory foam) also be softer than the talalay?

Hi Walkin,

Memory foam and latex are completely different materials and are difficult to compare because they have different types of softness, there are many different types of 5 lb memory foam with different firmness levels, and the firmness/softness of memory foam can also change with temperature, humidity, and the length of time you sleep on it in the same position, but for most people and for most types of 5 lb memory foam, the memory foam would feel softer than firmer latex yes.

There is more about comparing memory foam to latex in post #2 here.

Phoenix