layering change - will it affect firmness level of latex mattress

say You have a latex layering of 2 inches of 24 ild over 6 inches of 28 Ild over 3 inches of 32 ild and if you change it to 2 inches of 24 ild over 3 inches of 28 ild over 6 inches of 32 ild. how will it change the firmness level?

Hi fdb,

The difference would be fairly small and some people would only notice the top 5" - 6" of their mattress or so which would be the same in both versions but for those who did notice a difference … the thicker layer of 32 ILD would likely feel firmer and a little more “supportive” to them (assuming that the type and blend of the latex and the cover was the same in both versions).

Phoenix

Okay how about this then -
You have a latex layering of 2 inches of 19 ild
over 2 inches of 24 ild
over 3 inches of 28 Ild
over 3 inches of 28 ild
over 3 inches of 32 ild and
if you change it to:
2 inches of 19 ild
over 2 inches of 24 ild
over 3 inches of 28 ild
over 3 inches of 32 ild.
over 3 inches of 32 ild

quest 1 how will it change the firmness level?
quest 2 which mattress would feel soft? is any of them soft at all?
quest 3 would changing from one 3 inch 28 ild to 33 inch 32 ild provide better support? or it will make no difference?
quest 4 will there be a difference between a 3 inch 28 ild and a 6 inch 28 ild and likewise question for 32 ild?

Hi fdb,

This would be an even smaller change than your previous post but if you could feel it at all … in “theory” it would make the mattress a little firmer.

Softness and firmness depends on the type of softness you mean (see post #15 here) and is also subjective and relative to each person’s unique perceptions. What feels soft for some people will feel firm to others. Your own testing or experience is the best way to assess whether a mattress feels soft or firm to you. I think though that for many people this would be considered to be relatively soft.

Changing a layer to one that is a higher ILD would make the mattress firmer which many people “translate” as more supportive. Don’t forget though that how “evenly” supportive a mattress is and how well it keeps you in good alignment in all your sleeping positions is more important than how “firmly” supportive a mattress is. The only way to know which one of the two designs would keep you in best alignment in all your sleeping positions would be to compare both of them in side by side testing although the difference is so small that you may not notice much if any difference at all.

This depends on the rest of the layering and what you are comparing either one to. There are so many unknowns, variables, and preferences involved when you are comparing such small differences that there is no no formula or “theory at a distance” that can predict which one would be a better “match” for you in terms of PPP (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). In “theory” higher ILD’s are firmer than lower ILD’s so 3" of 28 ILD over 3" of 32 ILD would be firmer than 6" of 28 ILD and softer than 6" of 32 ILD if all the layers are in the same position in the mattress and otherwise have the same layers above and below them but how much of this someone may actually “feel” either in terms of pressure relief or alignment is impossible to predict.

Phoenix

say all these configurations are in dunlop latex - will any of the above configurations be firm or softer? and say if the cover is cotton and wool how will the cover affect the level of firmness? will it make it softer feel or firmer feel? and say if the person buying it weighs about 210 pounds and is 6 feet tall. will weight and height of a person affects how the mattress feels? will someone who is 210 pounds sink right through the 19 inch layer of dunlop latex and will the spine gets misaligned? which one of the configuration will provide full body support if at all, to a person of such weight and height?

Hi fdb,

I believe I’ve answered this in my previous replies.

You can read more about the effect of wool quilted covers in post #6 here.

Yes … weight, body type and weight distribution and your sleeping positions will all affect how a mattress feels and performs in terms of PPP (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Heavier weights will compress the same materials more than higher weights and while you won’t “sink through” or “bottom out” a material that is on top of other materials in a mattress … it will compress to a greater percentage of its thickness so more of the “feel” of the layers below it would “come through” the top layer.

Phoenix

so the answer is that both configurations will be relatively soft even when considering that the latex is dunlop?
which configuration out of the 2 do you recommend for best PPP, given the weight of 210 pounds and height of 6 feet? which configuration lends itself to more flexibility as to modify the level of firmness or softness desired?

Hi fdb,

Unfortunately … there is no way for me to know what you would consider to be soft or firm unless you have tested a similar mattress where you know the layering and can tell me how it feels for you as a reference point. All I can say is that for most people the layers you are considering would be on the softer end of the scale. There is more about the difference between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here.

As you can see in the post I linked previously … there are too many unknowns, variables, and individual preferences involved so I don’t make specific comfort recommendations. The only way to know which combination is best for you in terms of PPP would be based on careful and objective testing on similar mattresses in a showroom so you have a reference point or with a more detailed conversation with an online retailer or manufacturer who can help you choose the option they have available that you believe would be best for you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here once again).

More layers have more possible combinations than less layers to customize or fine tune a mattress both before and after a purchase (see post #2 here) but more layers can also be more complex and confusing if you’re not sure what to change to make the fine tuning adjustments that are most likely to “solve” any symptoms that you experience when you sleep on a mattress.

Phoenix

I am a common person in search of a mattress. I am not a technical person. What you say is above my understanding. I am sure many feel the same way. Getting a a good mattress at a fair price is being made impossible by mattress sellers and manufacturers. It should not be a herculean task. This industry seems to be riddled with deception, half truths and lies.

*** New topic created and split from this topic ***

Not to hijack the thread but …

How would these two mattresses compare (same ILD components just different thicknesses)

1)

2 inch ILD 19
1 inch ILD 28
6 inch ILD 36

#2)
3 inch ILD 19
3 inch ILD 28
3 inch ILD 36

you are trying to hijack the thread

Hi ps99115,

The OP of the original topic appeared to want to limit his thread to his own questions so I split your post off to a new topic.

For most people … your second mattress would feel softer and provide more pressure relief.

Phoenix

Hi fdb,

Based on your comment … you appear to prefer to limit your topic to your own questions so I split the post into a new topic.

Phoenix

Hi fdb,

If you follow the steps in the tutorial post it will give you a simple and effective set of steps to follow to find the best mattress for you.

“Finding an expert” who already knows what you would otherwise need to learn can be one of the most important parts of a simple and successful mattress purchase and can help you bypass most of the complexities that can lead to information overload and “paralysis by analysis”. Helping you to do that is one of the most important goals of the forum and the tutorial thread (the “simple” version of the steps is at the end :)).

Phoenix.

Thanks Pheonix,

Mattress #1 is the PLB nature which I really liked when I tested in the store. I’m considering doing a DIY latex core mattress (for fun and to save $$$). Do you know if anyone here on the forums have successfully replicated the nature (or came close to the nature in regards to PPP)?

Thanks much!

Hi PS99115,

The specs you listed for the Nature aren’t quite correct (see post #2 here) but they are close (it uses Talalay GL in the top 2" which has an ILD of 21 and the 19 ILD you listed would be “regular” blended Talalay).

If a mattress has the same layers and components (type of latex, ILD, layer thickness, and a functionally similar cover) then it would be very close to the Nature.

If there are any differences between two mattresses in any of these specifications then how close they were to each other would be much more subjective and different people could describe and experience how close they were and the differences between them in different ways. There is more about “matching” one mattress to another in post #9 here.

If you are considering a DIY mattress where you buy each layer and component individually then I would make sure you’ve read post #15 here so that your expectations of success are realistic and you are comfortable with some of the time, research, and trial and error that may be involved and any extra or unforseen costs involved if your experience indicates you need to change any of the layers.

The “best” approach would be the one you indicated where a “spirit of adventure” and fun along with a willingness to experiment and where your experiences and what you learn along the way is the most important part of the process.

Phoenix

But you see my latex mattress seller sells mattress only online I can’t test the mattress since he sells online. This is the situation I have. So I can only guess and ask here. He say she is going to satisfy me and take care of me regarding me getting the mattress but when I ask him does he has a layering exchange he does not answer!

Hi fdb,

If you ask a direct question about a return or exchange policy and a vendor refuses to give you an answer I would be very hesitant about dealing with them.

If for some reason you decided to deal with them anyway then I would assume that they didn’t have one and that your purchase would be final regardless of whether it worked out well for you or not.

Nobody else can feel what you feel on a mattress and it’s as much an art as a science in deciding which mattress is best for you. While it’s certainly true that some online vendors have a great deal of knowledge and experience and if you give them good information on a phone call about yourself, your history with mattresses, your needs and preferences, and your testing experiences, they can provide some very good guidance … but it’s also true that they can only go by “averages” and each person can be unique. What works well for one may not work well for someone else.

If you are confident enough that a particular mattress will be a good match for you in terms of PPP then an online purchase that doesn’t have a return or exchange policy can be a good choice but for those who aren’t certain then the options you have after a purchase to either make exchanges or return a mattress may become a much more important part of your personal value equation. At the very least I would make sure that you know exactly what their return policy is, any costs involved, and that you are comfortable with it so you can factor it into the “risk” and the “value” of a purchase.

Phoenix