Layers in Latex Mattresses: Do Size and Order Matter?

I’m my research, I’ve noticed most retailers off a “comfort” layer on top of a “core.” Typically the core is firmer and may be made with “less desirable” material such as Dunlop (vs. Talalay) latex and even foam. Most also add a “third” layer, but typically this is just a topper or cover - nothing latex.

I’ve recently found that some retailers such as Sleep EZ and Sleep Organic offer four layers. So instead of, say, a 3" Talalay comfort on top of a 6" - 9" Dunlop core, they offer four 3" layers and customers can customize their latex type, firmness, and order.

Questions:

1. Do the amount of layers really matter?
  2. If so, I realize it’s better to be more firm in the core, and I’ve heard it’s OK to use less desirable materials such as Dunlop latex and/or a foam core, but does the order matter of the mattress layers matter? For example, from comfort to core, would a Soft–>Medium–>Firm–>Extra firm differ from a Soft–>Firm–>Medium–>Extra Firm configuration?

Thanks!

Hi idlewild,

Just to clarify … Dunlop latex certainly isn’t “less desireable” than Talalay. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here.

[quote]Questions:

Do the amount of layers really matter?[/quote]

It can certainly make a difference for some people yes. There is more about the effect of thickness in a mattress in post #14 here and more about the pros and cons of more layers in post #2 here.

Theupper layers of a mattress are generally the weakest link of a mattress so it’s always a good idea to make sure that the upper layers use high quality and durable materials because they will tend to be the first to soften and break down. The upper layers of a mattress will also have the biggest effect on the pressure relief and “feel” of a mattress so it also makes sense to use higher performance materials in the top layers of the mattress as well.

There would be a noticeable and for some people significant difference between how the two configuration you mentioned feel and how they perform in terms of PPP yes. The version with the firmer layer directly under the softer comfort layer would be more “supportive” and would “feel” firmer for most people as well.

Phoenix