Leaning towards Latex and want to pull the trigger, but want one last opinion from the experts

Cool!

But the King Koil Pure Bliss Latex Brook Firm was 100% talalay medium latex. Looks like the Austen is a hybrid with latex. Try it out!

But I think you will be amazed by the 100% latex.

Let me know what you do!

Check out Flobeds Vzone! 20% off sale now!

John

1 Like

Thanks again. I will try to try to get to Macyā€™s this week and thanks for the tip on the FloBeds.

Alrighty then, @phoenix weā€™ve decided on latex as we like the feel. we were only able to lay on a King Coil mattress, but the wife and I both liked it.

Narrowed it down to:

1. Flobeds V-Zone 12". 100% Talalay, Goldilocks 20 year layer exchange, - $3400.
  2. Sleep EZ Organic 13". Top Layer Talalay, bottom 3 layers Dunlop, 90 day layer exchange - $2,900.
  3. Custom Sleep Technology 9". 100% Talaly, 2 free layer exchanges - no sale right now - $4,000
  4. Flexus Comfort 13". Appears to be 100% Dunlop, 90 day layer exchange - $2500

im sure all are quality, but is there value in going with either the Flobeds or CST for $900 - $1,500 over the Sleep EZ or Flexus?

It appears the price difference is Talalay vs Dunlop. Iā€™m not sure how different either of those feel or benefits really from one to the next.

Any thoughts?

thanks in advance!
Cody

Hi cfralick.

Good to see that you narrowed down your choices to four great mattresses. Your decision to go with latex is a sound planā€¦as its durability, breathability, temperature regulation, and support are ā€˜top of the lineā€™

As for your choices listedā€¦Flobeds, SleepEZ, CST, and Flexus: all 4 are good quality mattresses from longtime Trusted Members of the site;
In a nutshell, the main differences between mattresses are height, type of latex used, layer exchange policies, and the number of permutations to get the right comfort for you and your wife (by switching around layers). Also, youā€™d need to assess if the mattress needs to be split down the middle to accommodate different comfort/support needs for you and your wife.

ā€¢ In terms of durability (given the same ILDs for the top comfort layers) you are not likely to go wrong with any of these choices. As far as comparison goes; while latex is highly durable, the uppermost layer may wear down at some point (especially for higher BMI and softer latex). In case of your sleep profile changes down the line, having the Flobeds, ā€œGoldilocksā€ freedom to exchange layers may be worth the additional cost. so thatā€™s something to consider.
ā€¢ As you have a higher BMI even a durable material like latex in the top layers will go through more mechanical stress than for average BMI sleepers and will tend to wear out the fastest, especially for softer comfort options (Lower density and ILDs). A slightly firmer latex will offer a bit longer comfort life in your situation, but it may not provide the feel you and your wife desire.
ā€¢ In your considerations you need to do a bit of a balancing act between selecting a thicker mattress and firmer comfort layer(s) ā€¦ or ā€¦ thinner mattress and softer comfort layer(s). Larger and heavier body types generally do better with thicker and firmer comfort layers than thinner and lighter body types require. For an All-Latex mattress the thicker the mattress the higher the price point.
ā€¢ The type of material in your uppermost layer generally determines if a mattress is a good match in terms of personal preferences. Talalay and Dunlop have a different feel. Talalay in the same ILD as Dunlop will be less dense (will weigh less than Dunlop per cubic foot of material) This is the basis for the angel food cake vs the pound cake analogy Because Talalay has more air in it will also be more breathable and temperature regulating than Dunlop in the same ILD.
ā€¢ The value of a mattress has many movable parts and it is important to carefully look at your finalists from the perspective of your Personal Value Equation in Post # 46 and what is important to you, including the price point as well.

Hopefully, this will help you think through and ā€œimagineā€ how each may feel to you and your wife without having direct comparative experience with each.

Phoenix

1 Like

I pulled the trigger on the Custom Sleep Tech mattress. It should be here in a week or two so I will let you know how I like it.

Also purchased the Takasa Sheets recommended above, a Sunday Citizen Snug comforter and a Leggett and Pratt adjustable base.

Excited to put it all together.

1 Like

Hi cfralick,

It looks like you are all ā€œcoveredā€ and in very good ā€œshapeā€. I trust that the research and mindfulness you put into selecting the right sleep products for your unique personal value equation will bring you many restful nights.

Congratulation on your new mattress purchase and accessories! :smiley: I am sure that both @CST, and @Takasa (TMU Trusted Members) would be delighted to hear any feedback from you sometime down the road. As you know you purchased several high-quality products and you are also in good hands in terms of customer care.

When you have a chance weā€™d love to hear an update on your experience with the products.
Phoenix