Learned the hard way - Finally decided on New Sleep EZ 10,000 with Topper

Yes this would be the 13000 sleepez mattress. We do not have a way to completely try this option out.

We tried out a Savvy Rest with and without the Savvy Rest topper. I preferred the topper more as it seemed to be a little more pressure relief for my shoulder. I think the Savvy Rest was cotton wool cover around the mattress and then also cotton wool around the topper.

This makes sense as it would indicate that the topper would allow the latex layer expand out some making it feel softer like you indicated.

I am thinking the topper might also have a zipper allowing us to also change out just the latex. Although the topper should last quite a few years and after those quite a few years it might just make more sense to replace the whole topper. This would be a personal choice basically when it comes down to it for us at that time.

Yes both options would have about 12" of latex. However one option could have possible twice the amount of wool depending on which mattress cover and topper was chosen. As I have read some reviews the wool can definitely change the way the latex feels and if the wool is in the quilted fabric it would be tough to remove out of the mattress and topper if we did not like it. The topper option seemed to run around $500 more.

Like I said above we do not have the ability to try out the Sleepez 13000 option. I will be having a conversation with them regarding their thoughts on it, but I also wanted to pick your brain on this one.

Hi CentralPA,

Your comments are ā€œon the moneyā€ IMO :slight_smile:

One of the most important parts of a successful online purchase is your conversations with the retailer or manufacturer and since you canā€™t test the mattress in person you need to use your own sleeping experience in combination with the ability to rearrange or exchange layers or the mattress itself in lieu of your own personal testing. Most better manufacturers (which of course includes SleepEz) have the knowledge and experience to be able to tell you which initial combination they offer has the highest odds of success based on the information you provide them and the ā€œaveragesā€ of their customers.

Phoenix

Very insightful on the topper and the effect it has on the bed. Their description of the effects of the topper versus no topper was exactly what I was trying to figure out. I believe this is also what I was feeling on the SR bed but just didnā€™t completely realize it.

The other thing to point out that we found out between different manufactures is the cost of exchanging layers out if the need arises. For example $30 vs $140 to change out one layer in an interchangeable latex bed system. 2 or 3 exchanges at $140 starts to get very costly. Whereas $30 is not so bad.

Hi CentralPA,

Once again ā€¦ I completely agree with this and I would suggest that each person factors in the possibility of an exchange into the price of the mattress as a ā€œnormalā€ part of the process. This way if an exchange isnā€™t needed (which happens more often than not) then itā€™s a bonus rather than a disappointment. In some cases some manufacturers also allow only one exchange (which is usually enough) while others will allow more. Every part of a mattress purchase including any exchange or return policies will be part of the total cost of a mattress purchase in one way or another whether itā€™s included as a ā€œbuilt inā€ part of the mattress price itself or as a separate cost that is only paid ā€œas neededā€.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix and everyone for all their valuable input on the forum. Without it I donā€™t know that we would of ended up with the bed that we did. We probable would of ended up with another major brand that would of needed replaced a few years down the road again.

So what we ended up with is the following

Sleep EZ ISleep EZ 10,000 with 100% Latex & Wool Mattress Topper

My wife side from top to bottom includes
Topper - Soft Talalay
Mattress - Medium Talalay
Medium Dunlop
Firm Dunlop

My side from top to bottom includes
Topper - Medium Talalay
Mattress - Medium Talalay
Firm Dunlop
Extra Firm Dunlop

Also we received 2 free shredded latex pillows.

We didnā€™t forget our 5% discount thanks to the MU.

I had lots of questions for Shawn at Sleep EZ and he answered all of them never pressuring us to buy a mattress. The mattress will be put together tomorrow and shipped out. Expected delivery should be Feb 11.

Thanks again ALL!

Hi CentralPA,

Itā€™s good to see you asked all the questions you needed to ask and ended up making a great choice.

Itā€™s also gratifying when one more person has avoided so many of the worst choices that are so common in the industry!

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it/

Phoenix

Hi all,

As predicted the SleepEZ arrived today in 4 nice size boxes approximately 50 lbs apiece. Each box was precisely marked as to what it contained and we had the bed setup in about 90 minutes following the step by step instructions found on the Sleepy EZ site. All in all I will say that so far the quality of the materials and the bed cover are as described on the SleepEZ website. I was a bit nervous about ordering offline but after receiving the boxes today and assembling the mattress everything appears to be in good order.

The longest and probable hardest part was pulling all the staples out of the box trying to not damage the boxes in case of the necessity for a comfort layer switch or a return.

Phoenix if I send you some picture would you please attach them to this as I still have not figured out how to attach using Safari?

Hi CentralPA,

Thanks for the update ā€¦ I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I attached the pictures you sent me to your post.

Phoenix

Well just an update to my sleep system,

After deciding that we needed a new mattress protector for our new bed I researched the different protectors. We decided we wanted a mattress protector that was a little more breathable than the ones with the thin water proof membranes and offered some of the same properties as the wool in the covers of the mattress so we ended up with the St. Dormier mattress protector .

I will say this protector came in only 3 days. We found it online at Laughlin Designs for $176 for the 24" pocket protector. This was the best price that I found online and also included free shipping. I was worried with the 10" mattress and 4" topper we had for our design that the 16" topper might be too small especially if the topper shrank at all during periodic washings.

The 24" pocketed protector fit perfectly and doesnā€™t hug the mattress at all too tight. I was afraid that the 16" protector would of been too tight and firmed up the mattress some. Not sure that this would of been the case but led to my decision in selecting the larger size. Just a note on the website it indicates the 16" protector will fit up to a 12" size.

Also anyone that is interested in the St Dormier protector be aware that this is only water resistant. If you have large spills of water or other stuff it could seep through the protector.

Looks and sounds awesome, nice work CentralPA. How were the first couple nights?

Thanks dn!

The first couple of nights were different. Still getting use to the new mattress. I can definitely feel more resiliency in the latex. I do still feel a little pressure in the shoulders, like they arenā€™t sinking in quite as much as I thought. However I do not know for sure that it is enough to make me want to change anything at this point. The verdict is still out. I wanted to give the mattress a 2-3 week trial before I considered changing anything.

My wife likes her side of the bed and says it feels like it is giving her a hug back. Although she says she can sleep on anything she feels this bed is one of the most comfortable beds she has slept on that she can remember.

CentralIPA,

Here is our very experience with swapping layers from a different thread. we had a similar feeling as you. karen was oh so close I I was still needing more softness for my shoulder.

Being side sleepers we want/need a little softer top layers. We started with the most usual setups - soft/med/firm for Karen and med/firm/extra firm for me. We both wanted it a little softer so we swapped a couple of layers out. Jeremy was very easy to work with. Since we are local it gave us an easier option of picking the layers up. The only downside there is our bed is Cal King so the needed to laminate about 4 inches on to the end. If they didnā€™t I could have just stopped by to pick them up.

What I really appreciate is Jeremy telling us to keep the extra layers for a while so we can play with different configurations. I thought we would need to drop the ones we were replacing, but he said we could bring whatever ones not used afterwards. That will make it a lot easier. he also suggested a couple to do and a couple of things that he would not do. we took his recommendations vs what we were thinking and they have been great. We both slept well since the changes. It has only been a couple of nights but so far so good.

Karen (120-130lb) is soft/med/med and Doug (247 lb) is med/med/extra firm.

We canā€™t say enough of how excellent the customer service is. I did get that at Mattress Firm, but I donā€™t get the typical sales environment. Shawn and Jeremy have been very helpful.

Also, exchanging the layers was a little challenging for me BUT, I am disabled and am just prideful enough to want to do it by myself without Karenā€™s help. The layers are pretty cumbersome simply by their nature, long and bendy. The actual process is very straightforward and should be pretty simple for most people.

Doug

Thanks for sharing that with me krnndug,

I know any comfort exchanges we would make will be done through the mail. I just donā€™t want to make any choices too hastily.

Updateā€¦

So after a week of sleeping on our new Sleep EZ my wife and I have swapped the topper around as I was still feeling some pressure in through my shoulders. So now my side from bottom to top is x-firm dunlop, firm dunlop, medium talalay and topper soft talalay.

My wifeā€™s side is now Firm dunlop, medium dunlop, medium talalay, and topper medium talalay.

As she can sleep on a wider selection we thought we would try this to see how it helps my shoulder pain and then if need be make a comfort swap.

Hi CentralPA,

Thanks for the updates on the combinations you are trying.

You are probably doing this already (and some of it is in your mattress forum posts) but I would also keep some detailed comparative notes of each combination with descriptions of how they compared with each other in terms of pressure relief, alignment, any discomfort, pain, or muscle tension in different parts of the body, and the overall ā€œfeelā€ (which is more subjective) of each one along with a description of what you would like to change or how close you think each combination is compared to your ā€œidealā€.

This will be helpful in your conversations with SleepEZ if you decide to do a layer exchange.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix for the ideas. Thankfully I have been following some of the DIY threads and I got some pointers from you on keeping track of the layers and making sure you only change 1 variable at a time.

Ok so after sleeping two nights on from bottom to top Xfirm dunlop firm dunlop medium talalay soft talalay topper I noticed that I am sinking too much in my mid section. I noticed my trapezoids were sore and my hips.

So I am thinking on trying on moving the layers as follows bottom to top medium talalay, Xfirm dunlop, firm dunlop, and soft talalay topper.

Hi CentralPA,

It may be worth considering a couple of slightly smaller incremental changes in your configuration that keeps the Dunlop on the bottom for the time being.

When you move a layer two positions instead of one you may ā€œjump overā€ an ideal configuration.

One of these would be (from bottom to top) Firm Dunlop, XF Dunlop, Medium Talalay, Soft Talalay topper (this would be a smaller incremental increase in firmness putting the XF closer to the surface.

The other would be (from bottom to top) XF Dunlop, Medium Talalay, Firm Dunlop, Soft Talalay topper (this would be softer than having the Medium Talalay on the bottom and provide some extra ā€œgiveā€ under the Firm Dunlop and keeping the XF on the bottom may provide some extra stability to the mattress).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I think I will try the above as mentioned. I always appreciate your suggestions and will try this first.

Thanks!

Phoenix,

Thanks for the suggestion. It definitely felt firmer for support but still soft in the comfort layer. I am going to continue to test out this configuration.

However I do have one question how would switching out the talalay layers with dunlop affect the feel of the bed. Soft talalay to soft dunlop and medium talalay to medium dunlop. The way I understand it that in the same ILD the dunlop would feel slightly firmer if compressed more than 25% of the layer.

I am not quite ready to make a comfort exchange just asking for some theory in case I would need to make a comfort exchange if I do not quite get a configuration that works for me at present.

Thanks!