Learned the hard way - Finally decided on New Sleep EZ 10,000 with Topper

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for the response! I thought about going back to the original configuration of bottom to top x-firm dunlop, firm dunlop, medium talalay, and medium talalay topper. This seemed to create a pressure point on my shoulder because it didn’t seem to let my shoulders sink in the little bit it needed. Although now that we had the bed for 1.5 months it might be worth trying again.

WIth that being said I was pondering if switching from talalay to dunlop layers would firm up the mattress that tad bit for support and alignment since from what I understand that dunlop when compressed 25% will tend to get firmer. In theory to me this might give the little bit of extra support without sacrificing the pressure relief for my shoulder.

With that being said the current configuration I have been using is not far off and in reality unless the foam softens more I could probable sleep on it. I was just hoping for a bit more support for my mid section.

@dn if you are lurking somewhere…
Although I could probable make DN happy and get the electric knife out and try some zoning. Just so he could say to his wife “See dear I am not the only crazy idiot that likes to cut and mutilate my new bed”. Sorry dn I am not to that point yet.

Hi CentralPA,

It would be difficult to know the difference based on theory because the ILD’s may not be exact with the Dunlop and it would also depend on how deeply each part of your body compresses the mattress underneath it. It could also be softer with compression less than 25% and firmer with compression more than 25% so it would be well worth trying to see how the difference between the Dunlop and the Talalay medium plays out in your actual experience on each part of your body (shoulder pressure points and pelvic/lumbar support).

[quote]@dn if you are lurking somewhere…
Although I could probable make DN happy and get the electric knife out and try some zoning. Just so he could say to his wife “See dear I am not the only crazy idiot that likes to cut and mutilate my new bed”. Sorry dn I am not to that point yet. [/quote]

I’m sure he’s “lurking” from time to time :).

Another zoning option that wouldn’t involve cutting the latex would be using a center third section of about an inch of firmer polyfoam (which is relatively inexpensive) in between the layers (you could vary the zoning effect by moving the zoning layer up or down) and if that worked well you could always replace it with a similar size latex layer if you wanted to only use latex in your mattress. This would be similar to a “belly band” that you will see in some mattresses.

Phoenix

I’m around :slight_smile: Some issues in the personal life have prevented me from posting as much as I enjoyed.

I check in often, but my focused attention needed elsewhere too.

And yes, I do recommend the electric knife IF you’re sensing that different zones would benefit from different layering. I found my shoulders would like 1 thing, but hips would hate it, and vice versa. It’s less traumatic overall than it seems once you’re done it.

Hi Phoenix,

This sounds like a good idea and I would think with the mattress an extra inch inside the case I wouldn’t think would create much of a compression issue on the other latex layers.

dn

[quote]I’m around :slight_smile: Some issues in the personal life have prevented me from posting as much as I enjoyed.

I check in often, but my focused attention needed elsewhere too.

And yes, I do recommend the electric knife IF you’re sensing that different zones would benefit from different layering. I found my shoulders would like 1 thing, but hips would hate it, and vice versa. It’s less traumatic overall than it seems once you’re done it.[/quote]

I figured you were around. :smiley:

Hi CentralPA

Yes … there would be room inside the cover. It would slightly compress and firm up the middle third of the mattress (which of course is the idea).

Phoenix

Just an update today I changed out the medium talalay latex layer with a medium dunlop layer in the topper.

So the new configuration is as follows from bottom to top Firm dunlop, X-firm Dunlop, soft talalay and medium dunlop topper.

I figured there is nothing to loose by changing the topper around to the medium dunlop except a few minutes of my time. I also tried the layers on my wife’s side which is bottom to top Firm Dunlop, Medium talalay, medium talalay, medium talalay topper. Since I stole some of her layers for my side. Of course she thought the soft talalay was too soft for her so that didn’t matter. I reconfirmed that the mediums were too firm for my shoulders as I could feel the pressure through my shoulder blades and I think that laying on it throughout the night will create some pain in my shoulders like before.

If this doesn’t work I might try your plan Phoenix and I think I will call Shawn to see what he might suggest.

Thanks for all the help as usual.

Hi CentralPA,

Did you try the firm dunlop, x-firm dunlop, medium dunlop, and medium talalay topper? It would be interesting if you noticed a difference between the medium Dunlop and the medium Talalay in the second layer down (under the topper). I would also try and use the softer side of the Dunlop up (if you can tell the difference between each side).

Phoenix

HI Phoenix,

I did not try with the medium dunlop and medium talalay topper It might be worth trying that if the current configuration is still too soft for support. I also thought that going all dunlop through the layers might be worth trying but that would require a layer exchange with Sleep EZ.

CentralPA,

I’ve been following your experiment and I’m so curious to know if you found the right combination yet? I too would like to purchase the SleepEZ 10,000 but wanted to see how your exchanges worked out for you and if you are happy 4 months later???