Lededa Latex Mattress

Hi I drove up to St. Joseph to check out the Lededa Latex mattress and was a bit frustrated because they didn’t have any information on the type of latex, density or what the comfort layers consist of. Do you have any information on the durability of these mattresses? I am looking for a mattress that is the most resistance to body impressions. I’m 5’6", weigh 175 and sleep on my side and back. Can you recommend something that will work for me?

Thanks Much, Pat

Hi PatKC,

Any thoughts I would be able to provide you would be dependent on the information that Lebeda was able to provide you. It would surprise me though if they weren’t able to provide you with the type of latex they were using. All latex is very durable but there are many differences between the different types and of course there are cost and “value” differences between them as well. There is more about the different types of latex in this article and in post #6 here.

The density of latex is not important when you are testing it locally (this is necessary information with polyfoam and memory foam) because with latex density is a “comfort spec” not a quality spec (unlike memory foam and polyfoam) and determines softness and firmness and your body will tell you everything you need to know about the softness/firmness of a mattress regardless of whether you know the density or ILD of the latex . The information you need about the latex to make meaningful comparisons is the type of latex (Dunlop or Talalay) and whether it is all natural or a blend of synthetic and natural.

If there are other materials or foams used in the mattress besides just the latex then I would want to know this as well and if there was any polyfoam layers that were thicker than around an inch or so I would want more information about them as well (density in this case).

It would be very unusual if a local manufacturer didn’t know the type of latex they were using and whether it was blended or 100% natural. Hopefully someone there is able and willing to tell you.

There isn’t any formula and there are far to many variables and preferences involved to recommend a layering that is suitable for any specific person (out of the thousands of possible combinations) based on height weight and sleeping position information alone. Either local testing or the recommendations from a manufacturer or retailer who is much more familiar with their specific mattresses than anyone else and knows which of their models would “on average” be the most suitable for different body types and sleeping positions is the best way to make a choice.

I you are interested in some of the “theory” involved then there is some information about different body types here and about different sleeping positions here and about different types of layering combinations in this section of the site but this is just general information about some of the many influences and factors that can be involved and not specific suggestions for any particular person.

It’s much easier and less overwhelming to “connect with the experts” and talk directly with the retailers or manufacturers you are considering who can help you choose between the options that they offer than to go by theory based on a near infinite number of possible combinations of materials and layering which can lead to you needing to “become the expert” yourself. They already know what you would otherwise need to learn.

Phoenix

Let me start with Thank you! As I have not been able to sleep in my bed for a couple of weeks now, and have been on the floor, I am so grateful that I have been able to find so many answers here.
So let me say Thank you for:

1. Saving me tons of money by showing me the tools to realize it would have been very foolish to buy the Sealy Optimum with it’s HD grade memory foam used for support.
  2. Showing me the amazing small companies in my town that came in several hundreds (and in one case a $1000 less) with higher quality latex foam for support.
  3. Always answering people questions quickly and throughly so that we can all benefit from your answers.

So here is where I am at and trying to decide:
I found the Denver Mattress Co in Omaha, they don’t carry the Aspen nor the Snowmass. I had to drive to Lincoln to test these in the Twin size. (disappointed I think there is advantages to being able to test a bed with your spouse in it at the same time). Out of the two we like the Snowmass better. You know all the specks for this and it has been discussed many times.

We also stopped at Lebeda Mattress Factory where we found the Latex. Here are the stats:
100% natural (although I did not enquire more to confirm their definition)
8" thick latex =
6" Talalay 28 ILD
1" Talalay 24 or 26 (I don’t remember which he said) ILD on top and bottom (mattress is flippable)
Bamboo ticking
Fabric content: 61% polyester, 37% bamboo, 2% spandex
10 yr non-prorated warranty

The guy at Denver mattress says they both purchase from Latex international (or something close to that) so if that is true, then how much difference is there between the 28 and Snowmass’ 32 ILD?
I felt the Lebeda was more comfortable…a little more “snuggly”, but I it was $400 more.

So…What more do I want to know to try and help narrow this down?
Thanks!
-ckp