Leesa 2 months Review

Hi All,

I have been using my Leesa mattress since mid February. While it has been an improvement over my old Simmons Pemberton mattress (someone called it the wrestling mat), I think I need a even softer mattress.

I’m 38, 6’ 170lbs. Previously, I had a 2" soft topper which I used on the Leesa.
https://www.amazon.com/Infused-Ventilated-Memory-Mattress-Topper/dp/B00PBIVW3A?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I noticed I had pain in my nerves by my arm sockets and by my butt below the hips while I was sleeping on my side. So this week I decided to take the topper off and see what happens. I can say that the pain is even worse now without the topper.

I’ve been having some health issues since last July which I am still trying to figure out. I don’t know if these are factoring into my pain but it looks like I may need to get something even softer. I can’t complain about the heat as so far it has been great.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

Hi npolite,

I’m sorry to hear that your mattress isn’t working out as well for you as you hoped for but the good news is that you had the foresight to choose an online mattress that has a great return policy so you could try it out in your bedroom instead of a showroom without any risk.

[quote]I’ve been having some health issues since last July which I am still trying to figure out. I don’t know if these are factoring into my pain but it looks like I may need to get something even softer. I can’t complain about the heat as so far it has been great.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

I’m not sure what type of comments you are looking for (I didn’t see any specific questions in your post) but if a mattress doesn’t turn out to be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) then the two options you would have available would be to add a suitable topper if your mattress is too firm or to return the mattress for a refund and purchase a different mattress that is a more suitable choice for your specific needs and preferences.

Adding a topper can be more risky than returning the mattress unless you can still return both the topper and the mattress for a refund if it doesn’t work out well because the only way to know whether any mattress/topper combination will be a suitable match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP will be based on your own personal experience.

Phoenix

Thanks for the update Phoenix…I guess what I wanted to ask is given that I am getting pain in my arm sockets and near my hip area, does it sound like I need a more plush mattress, or should I stick with a medium based one?

Hi npolite,

While it’s not possible to “diagnose” mattress comfort issues on a forum with any certainty because there are too many unique unknowns, variables, and complexities involved that can affect how each person sleeps on a mattress in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or any “symptoms” they experience … there is more about the most common symptoms that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here.

Having said that and based on your comments … assuming that your symptoms aren’t the result of the health issues you are experiencing they would seem to be the result of pressure points and if I had to guess I would also guess that your mattress was too firm although the only way to know for certain whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience when you sleep on it.

I would also keep in mind that there are also no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix for the advice. I really am not a person that wants to abuse the trust of a generous warranty so I’m going to try a few more days just to see if my body will get used to it. If not I’m going to need to return it and try something else.

Nick

Hi npolite,

I would keep in mind that the trial period and return policy is designed to give you a chance to try out a mattress for long enough to decide whether it’s a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP and that every online manufacturer or retailer is well aware that their mattresses may be a “great” match for some people, a “good” match for others, and “OK” match for others, and for some people it may be completely unsuitable to sleep on. While I would give a mattress a fair trial … if a mattress isn’t a “good enough” match for you and you don’t sleep well on it I certainly wouldn’t consider it to be an “abuse of trust” to return it.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix