Leesa too soft for big guy; T&N or Brooklyn?

Greetings!
I just bought a Leesa (came from innersprings) and it seems like it’s too soft. I read all the glowing reviews (each one included a handy referral code) lol But it seems like I sink in too much and my back is sore. I’m 245 lbs, 5’11" - not huge, but a big boy. It seems my hips/butt sink in a lot, and puts stress on my back. I sleep on my side and back 60/40. My wife is pregnant, and is the reason we got the new mattress. She was complaining about the body divots I had made in the old innerspring.

I like a a soft top with support - the innerspring was a pillowtop. I’m thinking about returning the Leesa and trying the #bestmattressever from Brooklyn Bedding, or the T&N. How would these compare? Any other folks in the 250 lb range that can comment?
thanks!

Hi BopssRossFro,

I would keep in mind that there are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that is firm for one can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. Different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness as well. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here). In other words you will always need to test a mattress or sleep on it in person for you to assess how firm or soft it feels to you or how it compares to another mattress regardless of whether it feels firm or soft to someone else or how anyone else may “rate” it.

I would also be very cautious about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

The Leesa uses lower quality/density materials than some of the other “simplified choice” mattresses as well that I would consider to be a weak link in the mattress in terms of durability so with your higher weight the odds are higher that the useful life won’t be as long as some of the others. There is more about some of the simplified choice mattresses in posts #1 and #2 in this topic.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Since all of the “simplified choice” mattresses have great return policies there is little risk in trying them to see how firm or soft they feel to you based on your actual experience no matter how firm or soft they may feel for anyone else.

Phoenix