Leesa trial period almost over

Hi, Just joined and this is my first post. I will soon be returning my Leesa bed. Although not visible, there seems to be an indent developing on my side of the bed. More of a feeling than visually noticeable. I’ve also noticed that a part of the edge of the bed where I swing out of bed has begun to get a bit mushier and is not as firm as the other edges of the bed. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Durability is my concern. I am considering trying the Brooklyn BME, but I am not sure how I would like a lot of bounce in the bed. Is the bounce very pronounced? The SleepEZ Kiss seems to be made similar to the Leesa, but I am wondering about it’s durability as well since one of the comfort layers is a memory foam. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. By the way, for informational purposes, I am a 63 year old man and weigh 185 lbs. Sex in the bed I get is not an issue, but comfort, durability, and sleeping hot are concerns of mine.

Hi pdunc,

Welcome … and I’m glad you found us.

There will be a break in and adjustment period for any new mattress or sleeping system as the mattress loses any of it’s “false firmness” and the cover stretches and loosens a little and the materials settle and your body gets used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (see post #3 here). This would typically be a few weeks but it can be shorter or longer depending on the specifics of the person and the mattress (higher density materials can take longer) and it can be surprising to many people how much their sleeping experience can change over the course of the first month or so. Once you are past the initial break in and adjustment period then any further foam softening or “virtual impressions” will tend to be more gradual and happen over a longer period of time (although this also depends on the quality and durability of the materials in the mattress).

You can read more about Leesa and the Brooklyn Bedding BestMattressEver and the SleepEZ KISS mattress and many of the other simplified choice mattresses in post #2 here in the simplified choice mattress topic and post #1 in the same topic would also be worth reading as well.

the BME and the KISS mattress both use high quality quality and durable materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in either of them that would compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress.

The Leesa mattress and the KISS mattress have different materials and designs.

The Leesa mattress has a high performance polyfoam top layer (with some of the properties of latex) and a 3 lb density memory foam transition layer on top of a 1.8 lb polyfoam base layer. Even though it’s deeper in the mattress (which generally improves durability) … I would be cautious with a mattress that uses 2" of 3 lb memory foam in the upper layers of a mattress since it would also be a potential weak link in the mattress in terms of durability.

The Kiss mattress has a blended Talalay latex top layer and uses a 4 lb high performance polyfoam in the transition layer that has some of the properties of memory foam but it’s not actual memory foam (it has a faster response) and is a very durable material. The base layer is 2 lb polyfoam. These are all high quality and durable materials that would be suitable for any weight range.

The BME also uses high quality and durable materials that would be suitable for any weight range but your question about “bounce” is too subjective to provide a specific answer because different people would have different opinions about whether the bounce was “very pronounced” or how it compares to another mattress that has a different design. It would be something like asking whether a specific food has a “strong” taste. It would also vary with your weight, your sleeping style, and the firmness of the mattress. Latex would have less resilience than innersprings but Talalay latex would have more resilience than Dunlop latex which in turn would have more resilience than most polyfoam which in turn would have more resilience than memory foam. You will also tend to “feel” the properties of the materials that are closer to the sleeping surface than the properties of materials that are deeper in the mattress.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

At the end of the day … these types of questions are somewhat subjective so your own careful testing and/or your personal sleeping experience will be the only way to know for certain whether you are comfortable with the resilience of a mattress but if a mattress has a good return/refund policy then you can test the mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom with little risk.

Phoenix

Thanks for your response and the site as well. I now know that I was believing to much of what I read on other “review” (revenue) sites. I have decided to return the Leesa and will be ordering a Kiss bed, simply because it appears to use higher quality materials and will likely be more durable. Just a note: did not see how I would get a free pillow as a member of this forum, but did find a $50 off code on their Facebook page.

Hi pdunc,

You are certainly not alone! They are great at SEO and “marketing” but not as good at providing reliable or meaningful information.

All you need to do is let them know you are a member here.

You are certainly making a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix