Leggett and Platt adjustable base

I failed to shop around and I bought a silver leggett and Platt
Adjustable base and I was sold a Sealy Firm Gel Series mattress.
After it was delivered I found the two to be quite different than trying the base
In the store with a Sealy Optium. I fall into the stuck category and will be swaping
It and am looking for advice. I have a choice of Sealy or Stern and Foster. Whichtype of mattress will work best with the adjustable base? I too have low back pain…

Shari

Hi citronlady,

Unfortunately you are in a difficult position as far as a mattress exchange goes. Some of the suggestions in post #66 here and a couple of other threads it links to about members here in a similar situation may be helpful.

Almost any “all foam” mattress (using latex, polyfoam, or memory foam) can be used on an adjustable bed and there are also some innersprings as well that are designed for use on an adjustable bed as well. If you have any doubt then I would check with the retailer or manufacturer who will tell you if they are OK and whether the warranty coverage would be maintained.

I would pay particular attention to the layering of the mattress itself because whether it works with an adjustable base or not has little to do with whether the mattress is suitable for you in terms of what I call PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences). The suitability of a mattress for the needs and preferences of any specific person has to do with the specific design of the mattress and the layers in it rather than who manufactures it.

In general terms … your best option may be to select a mattress which has the least possible amount of polyfoam in the comfort layers and then add a more durable topper to this to create your own comfort layer. This will give you higher quality comfort layers than are typically found in either Sealy or Stearns & Foster mattresses but will also extend the life of the base mattress as well (there is more about this in the posts I linked).

If you provide a link to the store where you made your purchase I can make a quick scan to see if any of their mattresses stand out as being more suitable even though I normally wouldn’t recommend any Sealy or Stearns & Foster mattress. It would also be helpful to know the size and the price of the exchange mattress you want to stay under when you make the exchange.

I should also mention that if the base you tested the mattress on in the store was a firm non flexing base … then it would have a similar effect on the feel and performance of the mattress to the adjustable bed in flat position (both are firm non flexing bases) and the mattress may just need to go through its initial softening period to feel like the one in the store. How long have you slept on the Optimum? Another possibility is that a mattress protector, mattress pad, or even the sheets and bedding you have may also be affecting the feel of your mattress compared to what you tested in the store.

Hope this helps … and if you have more questions about your rather unfortunate situation … feel free to post them. With some better choices and depending on what they have available as a mattress replacement … you may at least be able to make the best of a difficult situation.

Phoenix

The store is American TV and there website is americantv.com. I am a side sleeper who can only sleep on my left side. I sleep alone and am 5"4 and weight 163. I bought the Sealy Gel Queen Firm. Store number 515-273-3000 the store is located in Johnston, IA. I am not sure if any other America TV stores have more selection of brands, or not.

Shari

Phoenix, the only other option is the Tempur-pedic - I checked with Leggett and Platt and they said, the Temper-pedic is adjustable base friendly. What is your thought on floor models and their warranty with floor models? I am not wanting to spend an arm and leg, but I owned to many mattress since 2001.

Shari

I have only had the mattress and adjustable for a week. The mattress is the Sealy Gel Firm. So, it has coils and a layer of foam from what I understand.

Hi citronlady,

It would probably be helpful to know exactly which mattress you have (the exact model with a link to it if possible) and to know in a little more detail what symptoms you are having when you sleep on the mattress. Are you having pressure issues (numbness, tingling, shoulder or hip pain etc), alignment issues (such as lower back pain) and what would you like to change about your mattress to get to your “ideal”.

What you are looking to change and the different ways that may be available to solve the issues you are having would make a big difference in what your next step may be.

Phoenix