Lifespan of Latex Topper?

Looking to get either a 2" Dunlop or Talalay Latex topper or a 1.5" Tromsdalen (85% Dunlop) Latex topper from IKEA, just a question:

What’s would be the average lifespan for a latex topper?

Does the thickness of the latex topper affect it’s overall durability?

Sleep Like the Dead indicates the average lifespan for a memory foam toppers are about 4 years and Latex toppers last longer however they do not mention the average number of years a Latex topper lasts.

Hi Nemix,

Unfortunately there is no way to quantify how long a topper will last for a specific person or predict exactly when you will decide to replace it because it is no longer suitable or comfortable for you (because this is the only real measure of the durability and useful life of a topper that really matters) because there are too many unknowns and variables involved that are unique to each person (including their weight, their sleeping positions, their preferences, the firmness of the topper, and the specifics of the mattress under the topper). If a mattress/topper combination is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t close to the edge of being too soft when it is new (see post #2 here) then it would probably be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime somewhere in the range of 5 - 10 years (regardless of the thickness).

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply Phoenix,

It’s probably best to only rotate the above latex topper for even wear correct?

No need to flip them since I’ll very likely be compressing them close all the way after the break in period anyways.

Hi Nemix,

[quote]It’s probably best to only rotate the above latex topper for even wear correct?

No need to flip them since I’ll very likely be compressing them close all the way after the break in period anyways. [/quote]

I would flip and rotate it from time to time because the top surface will compress more than the bottom and it would make a slight difference in evening out the wear and softening of the topper.

Phoenix

Hi Nemix,
Here is an interesting article about latex durability

cheers

I would offer an alternate opinion that articles like the one that was linked from SLTD represent much of what’s wrong with so many mattress “review” sites. “Data” is actually short-term reviews from people who are almost exclusively unqualified to render an educated opinion about the product they have purchased, and then that “data” is accrued and attempted to be passed off as homologated research. If you can wind your way through the ads from mattress companies featured on the site (which are mixed in to appear to be part of the article), you’ll see a few tidbits of information that is accurate. But again this information is quite general and there are no reference baselines or true research cited for many of the claims made. It’s a revenue site, not a review site, and you’d be much better off searching for articles with certifiable methods and references based upon true research.

I would be cautious about putting too much stock into articles like that one, or at least take the time to further research some of the claims made and totally ignore the “ratings” presented within.

Hi Nemix,

I would add a huge “ditto” to Jeff’s comments as well and I also wouldn’t treat these type of “amalgamated review sites” as being a particularly reliable source of information either.

Phoenix

Thanks for replies,

I went ahead and bought an IKEA Tromsdalen Latex topper today, a guy was selling it brand new locally for a price I could not resist so I pulled the trigger.

I’m really just looking to soften up my mattress a bit while extending durability of the high density foam layer on my two sided mattress.

I haven’t yet rotated or flipped my mattress yet and will be looking to add the topper to the mattress once I’ve done both for the first time.

If in any case I feel my mattress is good enough without topper after rotating and flipping it once, I can always try and resell the unopened IKEA topper.