Lifespan of support layer- latex or HD foam

This site has been such help navigating the complex world of mattress shopping.

I’m convinced latex is the way to go for us in terms of comfort layers. My question is regarding the support layer. In my research, there is at least a $500- $1000 increase for total latex vs a hybrid. I’ve read that the support layers do not bear the brunt of wear on the mattress.

We recently tried the PLB beds and could tell no difference between the Balance latex hybrid with bonded foam/latex (not sure what this is?) vs the all latex versions (we liked the Pamper). After reading through the forums, I realize there are many good value online options out there too.

For reference I am 5’ 4", 115 lbs and husband is 5’8" 170 lbs. Being of lighter weight perhaps the latex support core is less important? Does anyone know what the PLB balance foam/latex support layer comprises?

I’m willing to pay the all latex premium if it lasts longer, but I’m not certain if a HD foam support layer (1.8lb or greater) would work just as well.

Finally, I wonder about the off gassing potential of support foam- not sure if it’s relevant when it’s deep in the mattress. However If that’s an issue, the scale is tipped more in favor of all latex.

Hi Everhart,

Yes … the weak link of most mattresses is the comfort layers and a mattress will generally soften or break down from the top down. There is more about the many factors that are involved in relative durability and the useful life of a mattress in post #4 here and the posts it links to. there is also more about the difference between a latex/polyfoam hybrid and an all latex mattress (or a mattress that uses more latex in the upper layers) in post #2 here and the post it links to.

You can read more about it in post #6 here.

If the polyfoam is made in North America and/or is CertiPur certified* I don’t think that most people would have any issues with offgassing (although if a material does produce harmful VOC’s then it wouldn’t matter where it was in the mattress). Some people however that have a more restrictive answer to the question of “how safe is safe enough for me?” may prefer to avoid all polyfoam or synthetic materials completely but this would be a small minority or those who may be more sensitive (such as having MCS or multiple chemical sensitivities).

ADMIN NOTE: *Removed 404 link|Archived Footprint: certipur.us/pages/

Phoenix