Light Toss and Turner looking for a soft comfort layer I can sink into

Hey so I’m looking for a new mattress in the $1000 range. As I said in the title, I’m 150 pounds, I shift positions often at night, and I love a soft mattress that I can sleep IN, not on! Currently torn as to what comfort layer would suit my needs best. The only caveat is that I don’t want latex as I’m not a big fan of the smell.

I’m currently liking my 1 inch memory foam topper, but after the heat shut off in the house for a week the memory foam seemed to lose its quicksand quality entirely. It’s still comfy, but I am concerned about long term back issues now that I’m essentially just sleeping on squishy foam.

Hi teelobrown,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

While I can’t help with “what” to choose, I certainly can help you with “how” to choose. The first thing to do would be to read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice, and perhaps more importantly help you know how and why to avoid the worst ones!

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

After reading through the tutorial and moving on to investigating specific mattresses, you should always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Latex can have an odor that some people describe as “vanilla-like” or “semi-sweet”. This generally dissipates rather quickly, but if you are sensitive to that odor then you certainly might wish to avoid that type of a product.

Memory foam is a temperature-sensitive material – the degree of which is determined by the foam manufacturer. The recent trend in memory foam has been toward less temperature sensitivity. Technically called visco-elastic foam, memory foam goes through a “transition” from elastic to viscous within a certain temperature range. In a cooler room, the foam will tend to feel a bit “stiffer”, and once it is warmed up from your body temperature it will soften. All memory foam will tend to be classified as “soft” (ILD ranges generally in 8-18, which can vary by testing protocols). No memory foam would be considered “supportive” or be appropriate for the support core of a mattress. So in general the support for your back will be reliant upon the layers of material beneath the upper memory foam layer.

While the choice of different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses (see this article) are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (as long as all the materials and components in a mattress are durable enough for your body type) … some people who prefer the slower response and more temperature sensitive “surface feel” of memory foam may prefer thinner layers of memory foam (usually in the 1" to 2" range) on top of more resilient materials to reduce the motion restriction that can come from sleeping or moving on thicker memory foam comfort layers. Other people may prefer the “feel” of using thinner layers of more resilient materials in the top layer (again usually in the 1" to 2" range") on top of thinner layers of memory foam underneath (also usually in the 1" to 2" range) which would provide a more resilient and less motion restricting “surface feel” that still has some of the slow response and gradual sinking in “feel” of the memory foam underneath it.

These different combinations of different types of foam materials with different properties in the comfort layers of a mattress will combine the properties and “feel” of both materials to different degrees depending on the specific materials, layer thickness, and properties of each material. The properties of materials and components that are closer to the top surface of a mattress will tend to have a bigger effect on the overall “feel” of a mattress than materials that are deeper in the mattress.

The only way to know for certain whether any specific combination of materials will be suitable for you or which ones you tend to prefer will be based on your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience because different people with different body types, sleeping styles, sensitivities, and circumstances can have very different experiences or opinions about whether the same mattress provides “enough” freedom of movement for their own personal preference, as there are many different combinations of memory foam and polyfoam that can achieve a softer surface comfort.

If you’re interested in looking online, then you may wish to use expertise of the members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of memory foam options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. Their detailed knowledge of their mattresses and how they fit with different body types and sleeping positions along with your feedback from local testing, a customer base of many people that they can use as reference points, and any exchange, return, or any options they have available to customize a mattress after a purchase can help lower the risk of an online purchase. These online retailers or manufacturers can also be a good “value reference” for local purchases to make sure that if you are paying a “premium” for a local purchase (in exchange for the kind of “in person” guidance, service, and value that comes with dealing with a local retailer that can help you make more “accurate” choices that you have tested in person) is not too high.

In addition to the online members of the site listed in the previous membership link … post #12 here has some of the better online memory foam options for those who are looking for a memory foam mattress.

If you’re interested in shopping locally, use the guidance in the mattress shopping tutorial to learn about the componentry within any mattress that you test in person to make sure that it contains durable and quality materials.

Post #2 here and this topic have more about the pros and cons of a local vs an online purchase.

I look forward to learning about your progress.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for the detailed response, and for the wonderful resource that is this site! I’ve learned so much reading through it and I feel a lot more prepared now going into my purchase. :slight_smile:

Through googling Toronto mattressunderground I’ve found some sites that were recommended here and others from USA that deliver to Canada, and I made a short list of memory foam mattresses that sound good.

-foamite which boasts about its HR foam.

-3" visco memory foam Dreamstar sold by tonfurniture

-galaxy bedding has a couple of good sounding ones, and seems to differentiate HD to HR support foam which sounds promising.

-memory foam comfort

-nest bedding’s alexander signature series

I plan on calling them soon to ask about the densities and thickness of the different layers, and the quilting. One concern I have is that it seems like the difference between a firm and plush mattress seems to be the thickness of the comfort layer. As someone who’s 150 pounds, 3 inches of comfort seems like a bit much to me. Is this a valid concern or will a mattress with a thicker comfort layer be okay as long as the materials are all high quality?

Hi teelobrown,

You’re welcome!

Koosh is just their name for polyfoam. There is also more about so called “soy foams” in post #2 here . It certainly isn’t a “natural” material. If you can find out the information listed here about all the layers and materials in any of their mattresses and post them on the forum then I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials and the mattress as a whole.

Dreamstar is one of the smaller independent manufacturers in the Toronto area that make some good quality/value mattresses. The mattress you linked shows 5lb. for the memory foam layer, which is a good density, but they don’t list the density of the polyfoam core. You’ll want to find that out.

They may “sound good” but you need to review again the durability guidelines I linked to in my earlier reply and you’d see that all of the memory foam mattresses you linked to use lower-density 3 lb. memory foam, which I would not recommend.

The mattress you linked to uses 4 lb. memory foam, latex, and 2 lb. and 3 lb. polyfoam – all better quality materials. The only caution I would issue would be for the upper memory foam layer, which may be a little lower than you’d want for someone in the higher BMI ranges.

There are three different models in this lineup, are no lower quality materials or weak links in these mattresses for those that are in more average weight ranges although I would add a caution for those that are in higher weight range.

Both Memory Foam Comfort and Nest Bedding are a members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

Regardless of the thickness or firmness of any of the comfort or support layers … the only way to know whether any mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP will be based on your own careful testing or personal experience. If your careful testing indicates that the mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP then knowing the firmness or thickness of any of the individual layers (whether they are comfort or support layers) really doesn’t make any difference. Unless you’re extremely knowledgeable about mattresses and their construction, “theory at a distance” is very difficult (it’s even difficult for “experts” within the industry). Phone conversations with the vendors you’re considering will certainly be a great start to confirm the quality of all of the components within the mattress, and that can help you to narrow down your choice of stores to visit.

Once you are down to a list of finalists and you are confident that they would all be a good match for you in terms of PPP (or you have good options after a purchase if you aren’t) and that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them in terms of durability then you would be down to finalists that are comparing “good to good”. If there are no clear winners between them at this point (which is usually a good indication that you have done some very good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely make a good quality/value choice and ( post #2 here ) can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. Sometimes a final choice may even come down to very minor differences or can sometimes just be a matter of “gut feel” or “educated best judgement”.

Good luck in your search – you’ve got a good start!

Phoenix

I made some calls today, and found out the dreamstar uses 1.8 density in it’s support layer, presumably HD. The guy on the phone told me I could go higher but then it would be like a rock, so that was out.

The foamite guy couldn’t give me much info on layers because he was saying that they had 7 different ones that they mix and match, and said it would be better to go see it in person which I may end up doing.

Nest bedding’s support was really helpful, and he told me that the quilting was a cotton/polyfiber blend. Also sadly since it’s international shipping through to Canada there would be a charge associated with it, how much I haven’t found out yet. It’s really looking like it’s between that and Memory Foam comfort right now, though they are both on the pricier side of how much I was willing to spend.

Hi teelobrown,

1.8 lb. would technically be the beginning of what the Polyurethane Foam Association considers “High Density”, and this would be a good starting point for a polyfoam base layer for those in a more “normal” BMI range.

Even if they mix and match, you’d still want to know about each and every layer, so make sure you get that information if you visit, which might be good as they offer so many configurations.

I know this can be considerable with some products, so you’d certainly want to find out the total cost with any international shipping, and of course find out if that is including all of your taxes or if you’d be responsible for those separately.

I’ll be interested to learn what you end up deciding to do, and how your testing goes (if you decide to do that).

Phoenix

I’ve made my mattress decision! Going with the presto (Hybrid Coil Organic Latex Mattress | Cumulus | MFC) from Memory Foam Comfort. It was the most economical decision for what I wanted. The Alexander Series was the only one of the bunch that I felt was comparable, but shipping to Canada was not cheap - around $500USD for shipping costs and duty charges combined!

Thank you so much for all your help, Phoenix. I almost closed my eyes and bought a Casper at the start, I’m so glad I educated myself with your site instead. I am nervous as MFC doesn’t have a return policy, and there was no opportunity for me to try it before buying, but the last time I tried a mattress at a store it was a night and day difference of feel from the mattress I received anyway. But time will tell if I like it, and after talking to Mario from MFC on the phone I feel like I couldn’t have supported a nicer company.

Hi teelobrown,

Congratulations on your new mattress! :slight_smile: You certainly made a good quality/value choice, especially in your situation with the international shipping and taxes to be considered, and as you know MFC is a member here, which means I think highly of them. You also had the foresight to purchase a product that can be “fine-tuned” as time goes on with the customizable layers.

You’re most certainly welcome! I’ll be interested to learn about your experience with your new mattress once you’ve had some time to “sleep on it” for a while.

Phoenix

Hi teelobrown,

Have you received your Memory Foam Comfort Presto yet? I am anxious to hear what you think.

I am in a similar dilemma trying to make a decision on an internet purchase. I have been looking seriously at the Nest Alexander medium (king). I am also in Canada but have the advantage of a receiving service an hour away in North Dakota so international shipping is not an issue. The receiving service charges $5 to receive a package and Nest shipping to ND is free.

Then I found this discussion thread where you mention the Memory Foam Comfort company and I am intrigued. The price of the Nest Alexander in Canadian dollars and the Presto is within a couple hundred dollars so they are comparable price wise.

I am 140 lbs, My spouse is 200 lbs. We are both athletic build. We mostly sleep on our sides and occasionally on our backs. I have tons of back/hip issues and pressure points so I toss and turn a lot.

I know each person’s mattress preference is unique but I am very interested to hear your thoughts regarding your purchase as this mattress might be a serious contender for me given the layers are adjustable.

thanks.

Hi Colleen:

While I know you are already aware of this, it gives me the opportunity to post here for others who might read this thread my caution about using other people’s opinions/results as a reliable guideline of predicting what might work best for someone else…

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful, I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words, reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

I have not seen any other posts from teelobrown, but they’ve only had their mattress for a month.

Phoenix

Hi everyone. I just wanted to come back and tell you we purchased the Presto mattress from Memory Foam Comfort in June. Love it!! Should have got one of these years ago. Customer service was top notch too.

Hi Colleen,

Thank you for taking the time to post back again with an update, and congratulations on your new MFC mattress! :cheer: You certainly chose something using good quality materials, and I hope you’ll be able to report back again with further updates. And I’m also happy you received good service. As you’re aware, MFC is a site member here, which means I think highly of them and their service.

Phoenix