Local manufacturer(s) in Cape Cod/SE Mass area?

Hi Swami,

Post #2 in the Boston thread includes the local manufacturers who are closest to the Cape Cod area. The closest is Worley Beds in New Bedford which has some very good value and is probably the first place I would include in my research and Ecin Industries in Fall River but there are also some in Brockton.

Jordans is certainly a “better” choice than most chain stores and their house brand includes some “partly latex” models which may have better value as well as Natura and other models (including two sided) but like all outlets it would be important to have the information available about the layers inside the mattress which is the only way to determine the value of any mattress (see in particular my comments in the Boston thread about them). This includes the details about the innerspring (if any), the thickness and density of any polyfoam, the thickness and density of any memory foam, and the thickness and type (natural or blended, Dunlop or Talalay) of any latex along with any other materials that may be in the mattress. The ILD would also help but personal testing for pressure relief and alignment would be more important than knowing the ILD (softness/firmness) of the layers.

Cardis has a retail location in Hyannis, MA. which carries Spring Air (which includes Nature’s Rest) and SleepDesigns (who is also a regional manufacturer of Comfort Solutions or King Koil) which are the two brands I would consider there (both of whom make mattresses using latex) but again it is important to check the spec sheet for the layer details because the brand is not as important as what is in the mattress. Their online information doesn’t list an “all latex” mattress but of course they may carry models that aren’t listed on their site.

Overall … I would certainly have a strong preference towards the local manufacturing that is closest to you.

Latex feels very different from memory foam (like Tempurpedic). Memory foam mattresses are usually memory foam over higher quality polyfoam (like the Tempurpedic) and have a more "in the mattress’ feel and inhibit movement to greater or lesser degrees depending on the memory foam. Latex has a more “on the mattress” feeling and is more “movement friendly” than memory foam. Both are great pressure relieving materials and both also provide good motion separation between sleepers although a memory foam comfort layers is slightly better than a latex comfort layer at this. Latex is also a more breathable material and sleeps cooler than most memory foam. Memory foam is never found in a support layer because is is the least supportive type of foam.

Good luck and feel free to post if you have any questions along the way.

Phoenix