Local outlets in Sarasota, Florida area.

I have read the tutorials etc. on your website. I have also been to various mattress stores in the area but so far cannot decide whether I am getting a good deal or not. While I feel a whole lot more educated on what to look for, I still don’t know where to turn next.
I do know that I want a memory foam and/or latex mattress. Definitely do not want innersprings. I am very leary about making a decision since the last two mattresses I bought ended up being returned. I really don’t want to go through that again, especially if I buy on-line.
I have also determined that I want an adjustable base which raises the head and feet independently. I don’t need the vibration features.
Yesterday, I tried out a Blutek mattress at an high-end furniture store in Sarasota. While I really liked the way it felt and the salesperson was able to show me this “cube” which was a cross-section of the mattress content, I found I was put-off by the price of $6,600. (That was for two twin-long mattresses on a adjustable base with separate controls for each side.) Since I have never heard of this brand (made here in Lakeland, Florida) I am wondering if I could do better.
So, now I am asking for your opinion on what places in the Sarasota, Fl. area are worth looking into.

Hi bryantjdb,

I have read the tutorials etc. on your website. I have also been to various mattress stores in the area but so far cannot decide whether I am getting a good deal or not. While I feel a whole lot more educated on what to look for, I still don’t know where to turn next.

Your questions are too generic to provide any specific comments or answers but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article). There are hundreds and perhaps thousands of different mattresses in each category and there are very high quality and durable mattresses in each of the different categories so I would be cautious about excluding any type of mattress based on “theory” or assuming that one type of mattress or combination of materials will be better for you than another unless you have tried a broad range of different types of mattresses and confirmed that you tend to prefer them based on your own personal experience on a wide range of different mattresses.

Memory foam and latex are also very different materials with very different properties that are more opposite than similar (one has little to no resilience and the other is highly resilient for example). There is more about the pros and cons of memory foam vs latex in post #2 here but the best way to know which type of materials you tend to prefer is based on testing a range of mattress in different firmness levels in each category to see if you can identify any “pattern” in your preferences.

There is more information about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the main adjustable bed topic that it links to that can help you choose an adjustable bed based on price vs features comparisons and also includes some retailers that you can use as good sources of information about the features of the adjustable beds they carry and as pricing references as well (in post #6 in the main adjustable bed topic). Of course there are many other sources as well and prices can change on a regular basis so I would also include some internet searching in your research and I would also keep in mind that online advertised prices are often price controlled so make sure you contact the stores you are considering to find out their best prices rather than just looking at websites.

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else in terms of firmness, “comfort”, or PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of “comfort” and PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress always depends on knowing the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you can find out the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would be a cause for concern or compromise the durability and useful life of a mattress you are considering before making any purchase.

I don’t know the specifics of the mattress you were looking at so I can’t make any meaningful comments about it but if you can find out the specifications of the layers and components inside it and post them on the forum I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the mattress and let you know if there are any lower quality materials or weak links that I can see that would be a cause for concern.

When you are comparing the “value” of different mattresses you are considering I would always suggest making “mattress only” to “mattress only” comparisons without adding in the cost of an adjustable bed so you are making more meaningful comparisons between mattresses without the price of the adjustable bed distorting your comparisons.

If you are also considering an adjustable bed to go with your mattress I would also compare these separately as well based on price/features comparisons. You can buy an adjustable bed and a mattress at different stores because any adjustable bed can be used with a suitable mattress and they don’t need to be purchased together unless each of them individually would be the one that would be your “best value” choice.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in Sarasota, FL (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #5 here.

Phoenix