Long-Term Experiences with Select Sleep in Union City, CA

I recently posted here about improving my 4 year old bed, and got some great advice. However, I have a related question that I’d like to ask, and so I’m starting a new thread – I hope that’s ok.
I realized when doing research that the place I bought my mattress was recommended on this site – in fact, I think that’s how I chose them originally. It’s 4" of high density polyfoam over a pocket coil base. However, I’ve actually been mildly disappointed in my mattress from the beginning – it’s always felt like my body impressions, particularly over the course of the night. When I originally bought, I got a 2" soft foam over a 2" medium foam for the comfort layer. They let me switch it out a month later for two 2" medium foams because I felt like it had semi-permanent dips. When I brought it back to their warehouse, one of the guys there made a (semi-crude) comment about how he could tell I slept alone, since he could see the impression in the mattress – this was after I had been sleeping on it for only one month.
The medium foam replacement was somewhat better, if a bit too firm feeling, so I’ve kept it for 4 years. I can’t really afford to replace it, but I’d really like to do something. The obvious solution is to buy a new comfort layer from Select Sleep, and to get one with better longevity/comfort, even if it costs more. But will I just be throwing good money after bad?

Sorry for the long lead up, but here’s my question – is it normal to have such problems with HD foam? It’s not so much I feel like my mattress has worn out after 4 years, so much as I feel like problems that were there in the beginning have gradually gotten worse until I’m sick of them. Also, has anyone else had this mildly unsatisfying experience at Select Sleep? I know they have latex layers as well, but I assume I was trying to save money, since I had just lost all of my possessions in a fire. Would I be better off with their latex, both in terms of comfort and longevity?

Thanks for any help – I know that my next step should probably be to visit Select Sleep, but that didn’t work out as well as I’d like last time. I did try calling them, but got disconnected twice without speaking to anyone.

Hi jctam,

It’s fine if you want to start a new thread, but if you’re referencing back to the same product that’s in your original thread, it does make it much easier for me (and others reading here) to keep things contained in the original thread instead of starting a new one. But we certainly can soldier on! :wink:

If you’re referencing Select Sleep, they are not a member here of the site (which of course should not preclude them from your consideration), but I have previously spoken with Don and do think highly of him.

Without knowing the actual density of the foam used in your product (I believe before you thought it was latex), I can’t comment much upon the quality of componentry. All foams will soften with use over time, and especially when placed upon a pocketed spring unit, and if the foams are softer, that “sinking in” feeling can be more noticeable. And you still haven’t confirmed from your previous thread what you are using under your mattress (foundation and frame), as incorrect support can also contribute to sinking issues.

Of course I wasn’t there to be part of your conversation, but it can be quite easy, especially on a new mattress, to see the sleeping patterns and the loss of the initial “false firmness” within a product, so I wouldn’t necessarily take offense to such observations. But softening in those areas, on a new mattress, can be quite normal. See post #3 here for a bit more information about this.

You seem to be asking again similar questions to your original thread, which I addressed for you here in post #3 here. Without knowing the density of polyfoam you had in the first place, and without knowing exactly what you were going to replace this foam with, I couldn’t tell you if what you were considering would be an upgrade or not. And as I mentioned previously, adding a topper to a product that already has more of a body impression than you desire is not recommended.

Without knowing what you have specifically in density for the foams, again this is a question that can’t be answered. “HD Foam” isn’t truly a technical specification. And I don’t know that what you are describing is a defect in any way of your product, as much as it may be a personal comfort preference.

Whether or not anyone else had an experience where they didn’t like polyfoam on top of a pocketed spring unit would be personal to them and I wouldn’t use it as any sort of a reliable indicator of the potential for your own happiness or appropriateness with any product. In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here). You’re much better off to focus upon the actual componentry within the mattress and the quality of that materials, combined with your own personal testing and sleeping preferences.

I’m sorry to hear about your fire. :frowning:

Yes, latex will be more durable than polyfoam, but whether or not you would prefer latex, combined with your current pocketed spring unit (all of the materials within a mattress work together to create your overall comfort), could only be determined yourself through your own personal testing.

A personal visit testing things out is always advisable when the opportunity is available.

Phoenix