Looking at a novosbed matress

Just curious if anyone here has bought a novosbed, and what you thought of it?

I’m considering either the Sonata due to me being a light sleeper and running a bit warmer than the average person. Only thing that has me questioning it is am I sacrificing a lot of quality between that and the Aria which has higher density foam.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Zuni,

Higher density foams are more durable than lower density foams (although there wouldn’t be alot of difference between 3.7 lb and 4.1 lb in terms of durability) but there are also other factors involved in the useful life of a mattress that you can read about in post #4 here.

These are two very different mattresses and because they are so different I think that the suitability of each one for your body type, sleeping style, and preferences would be an even more important consideration. Regardless of the useful life of a mattress or its relative quality/value (and all the mattresses made by the same manufacturer would have similar “value” across their range) … a mattress would have little value to you if it wasn’t a suitable choice in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and personal preferences). Outside of personal testing on the same or an equivalent mattress … the most effective way to choose a mattress would be a more detailed conversation with the retailer or manufacturer who sells it (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Phoenix

Hi Zuni,

Here’s the link to “Post #4”. Also, here is a link to the explanation of Phoenix’s personal value equation.

Take a look at this article in support of Phoenix’s first point. With respect to your concerns:

1. Durability - I’m sure you’ve read in numerous places on TheMattressUnderground that foam durability is closely related to density: the higher the density, the more durable the mattress. We completely agree with Phoenix on this point - you can see a detailed explanation of our position on density here.

2. Sleeping hot - Many companies tout gel as the “solution” to memory foam “sleeping hot”; for the most part we agree, but with qualification: gel increases the specific heat capacity of the foam (ie. it’s ability to store heat), which helps by capturing and storing excess heat from the sleeper early-on during the night. However, without other cooling mechanisms (airflow, moisture-wicking, etc), this heat-sink effect diminishes as the night progresses. (Here is a more succinct explanation). The Sonata makes use of an airflow layer, and lower-density foam (inherently more breathable) to compliment the effect of the gel.

As for customers who have bought Novosbeds, please see this thread here. You can also search for all Novosbed discussion on this forum with this link.

Best of luck!
Novosbed

Thanks,

I think I’ll go lay on the Sealy Optimum and Tempur Supreme again just to be double sure and give Novos a call.

Hi Novosbed,

Oops … thanks for re-linking the durability link. I used the “quote” tags instead of the link tags (now fixed) :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi! Just curious if you ended up with the Novosbed and what you thought of it!

We ended up buying the Aria, we love the bed. Took about 2-3 weeks to get used to it (coming from a sterns & foster pillow top). Wouldn’t look back, excellent service and we love the bed.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Hi Zuni,

It’s great to hear that you’re happy with your choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

And Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year right back at you as well. You should certainly be sleeping better in 2014!

Phoenix