Looking at innerspring mattress

Hi jasonsmith and ergopower,

It wouldn’t matter either way. Temperatures above about 120° or so would be too hot for the skin anyway and it would still be fine for the latex.

I’m not certain about the temperature limit for the mattress protector as each manufacturer may have different guidelines but the care instructions say to avoid high heat in the dryer which could blister the membrane. Some quick google searching suggests that low temperature drying (which is fine) is around 120° - 125° and high temperatures are much higher (in the range of 150° or higher) so this also suggests that a heating pad would be fine for the protector as well.

Convoluted foam can be fine depending on the type, density, thickness, density, and position of the convoluted layer.

With Dutch Craft I would go by the specifics of the mattress materials. Many retailers switch manufacturers from time to time so by itself this would mean very little. If there was a problem many retailers will also tell you specifically what it was (at least in my experience in talking with them).

Phoenix

The waterproof cover I’ve got is by Fabrictech Advance. It says to wash and dry it on HOT. So, that should be find. My encasement is cotton, so should be fine.

The problem I see with the convoluted foam is I was looking at buying a budget mattress. i.e. in the $500-$800 range or so. And I’d guess in this range Jamison wouldn’t be using HR convoluted foam, but probably the lower grade. I believe Dutch Craft uses 1.5+ sheet foam from the mattress I was looking at. Also going to see if I could get one made with no fire retardant chemicals. Maybe the locals don’t use it if they don’t see in California?

I was watching this guys’s videos and wouldn’t mind checking out his latex mattresses. Looks like he uses a base and a top. To where you could later on swap your top out if need which would be cheaper than buying a whole new bed.

http://sleepessentials.com/prodigy/

Hi jasonsmith,

You’re right that in the lower budget ranges that lower density foam would be more likely although I would still want to know the specifics rather than speculate. I would also doubt that most of their mattresses used actual HR polyfoam and it’s probably HD (HR is a specific grade of foam that uses a different chemical formula and is 2.5 lbs density or higher, has a compression modulus of 2.4 or higher, and has a resilience of 60% or more). Many foams that are listed as HR (High Resilience) are actually HD (meaning High Density although they are still good quality in most cases).

If lower density foam is also convoluted and there is more than “about an inch or so” in the comfort layers then it would be less durable than a solid layer and could certainly be the weak link of a mattress.

Sleep Essentials is certainly a good quality/value mattress and I also think highly of Lee (the owner) although I would take some of the information on their videos with a grain of salt because some of it is somewhat inaccurate or misleading. Mattresses that have individual component layers that can be exchanged are also a very flexible design and similar designs are quite popular because it gives you the chance to make comfort adjustments if necessary after a purchase and as you mentioned it can also allow you to change out the comfort layer if it softens faster than the other layers or if your needs and preferences change over time. They also are sold without a fire retardant (you need a prescription from a health professional to purchase it but this is normally a simple matter that they will help you with if necessary). They would be well worth a visit and you can see some comments about them in Clawdia’s posts in this thread and a forum search on sleep essentials or on perfectlatexmattress (you can just click these) will bring up more comments about them as well.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks much for the detailed temperature info re the mattress protector. It’s very helpful. I’ll just put a towel under the heating pad for extra protection.

Sorry to tag my questions on to Jason’s mattress inquiry, but since he had asked about the heating pad as well, it seemed to make sense.

Jason - Good luck with your mattress search.

Best,
ergopower

I went to another mattress store that had some different Dutch Craft mattresses. I tried out that non-flippable one again that I was looking at getting that had the 1" Latex on top. But noticed there was some pressure on my shoulder when laying on my side.

They had another Dutch Craft mattress that was flippable Plush, and felt better on my shoulder. Though I don’t think it has as many springs in it as the non-flippable one I was looking at. They both are the same price. But I’ll have to get the specs on the flippable mattress.

There’s another mattress store that has a different Dutch Craft flippable plush that I plan on checking out to compare to the other flippable plush. I’ll stop by next time I’m in that direction, but I’ve got the mattress names so I’ll find out the specs of both before hand.

Hi jasonsmith,

If you can list the specs I’d certainly be happy to make a few comments about them or help you identify any weak links.

The only way to make meaningful comparisons between the quality of innersprings outside of how they “feel” (different innersprings have different properties) is based on the weight of the steel inside them and this isn’t a spec that manufacturers normally provide. I wouldn’t worry too much about coil counts because they are not really meaningful unless the type of spring, the gauge of the wire, coil diameter, the number of turns, and some of the other specs are the same in which case a higher coil count would indicate more steel (see post #10 here and this article). The innerspring in a mattress isn’t normally the weak link of a mattress.

Phoenix

On that Sterling and Thomas mattress that I also checked out that had that brochure. I found the info on the net. Not sure if these specs are used in all of their mattresses. I do like how they have springs all the way to the edge of the matters, vs. just having foam.

www.sterlingandthomas.com/index.php/maximum-support-technology-line/

Forgot to mention that this one mattress store I went to. They said they had a Sterling and Thomas “latex” mattress that they sent to Dutch Craft to tear apart. And Dutch Craft said there wasn’t any “latex” in the mattress.

Hi jasonsmith,

The foam they list is high quality and I also like the inserts they use for edge support vs a foam surround. The innerspring is also very good quality. The descriptions are only generic descriptions of the materials they use though so I would still want to know the specifics of any mattress I was interested in to make sure that there weren’t also other materials inside it.

It would have been interesting to see what was on the law tag but of course you never know if these are just stories meant to sell a mattress or put down a competitor or if they are actually true.

Phoenix

If your still looking this seems pretty high quality with the foam density 12.5 gauge coils and latex in it. Made by therapedic it’s the exceptional touch line

The innerspring unit in the Preston is the incredibly durable and supportive Hinge-Flex from Leggett & Platt. This is one of the strongest innerspring units in the world, with extra zoning in the middle-third of the mattress. The steel is 12.5 gauge, twice tempered, knotted and double-offset to provide support that endures, even for those of a larger stature. This innerspring unit is combined with the unique Exceptional Edge perimeter edge reinforcement system, 66% stronger than typical premium edge systems. The result of this exceptional design is years of unrivaled body-aligning support and a true edge-to-edge sleep surface - you simply won’t wear out these springs.

In order to contribute to the durability required of every Exceptional Touch mattress set, the foundation also features a design that is equally as strong and durable as the mattress. A custom designed wood platform foundation uses three times the amount of wood as a normal foundation, providing years of uncompromising sleep set performance. The weight of this foundation is over 100 pounds in a queen size, so you may wish to consider ordering the full and queen sized foundations as splits if you plan on moving the sleep set frequently or if the item is to be carried up a staircase.

The Preston uses polyurethane foam that is twice as dense as most foams used in typical premium mattresses, providing exceptional comfort and durability. A double layer of high-resiliency 2.0 pound polyurethane foam is used in the quilt, with 2.5 pound foam being used in the deeper upholstery layer. These foams are rated as upholstery grade in their quality, and while they are extremely dense and durable, they maintain the characteristic of contouring support, not unlike premium latex foam. To achieve even more softness, the Preston adds 2" of premium Latex International talalay latex under the quilt panel to provide additional durable and plush comfort. Helping to hold everything together is the Tailormade Tufting process, where a cord is strung top to bottom by hand through the entire mattress, further solidifying and precompressing the foam and reducing artificial loft. This tufting process is another hallmark of an ultra premium mattress and it helps to extend sleep set comfort life.

All foam layers are CertiPUR-US certified and securely affixed to the support unit to ensure durability. Safe and healthy FiberSafe fiber is used to meet flame retardant guidelines instead of toxic chemicals. The Preston has a 20 year full warranty. This mattress set is made in the USA using 100% premium domestic components.

Hi Everready073,

Thanks for posting the information about the Preston. I completely agree with you that this is a very high quality mattress from top to bottom and it is also good value at some retailers.

For those who are interested there is a video here and there is some pricing information here that can be used as a reference.

Phoenix

I’ve been reading alot about the fire retardant chemicals in mattresses making people sick. Is this a California only law to have those chemicals or is it in every state? I’ve read of people getting a prescription to have a chemical free mattress.

Hi jasonsmith,

It’s a federal law that all mattresses in the country have to comply with (see post #4 here)

There are also some non chemical ways to pass the regulations (besides a prescription for a mattress that doesn’t require any fire retardant materials at all). There is more about this in post #2 here.

Phoenix

I had been reading that they were changing the law so they don’t require manufacturers to have to put the fire retardant chemicals in the mattresses anymore. I believe this is California law, which I had thought was the law everyone was going by from what I read. But supposidly it’s supposed to take affect this year or January 2014.

[quote=“Everready073” post=25285]If your still looking this seems pretty high quality with the foam density 12.5 gauge coils and latex in it. Made by therapedic it’s the exceptional touch line

The innerspring unit in the Preston is the incredibly durable and supportive Hinge-Flex from Leggett & Platt. This is one of the strongest innerspring units in the world, with extra zoning in the middle-third of the mattress. The steel is 12.5 gauge, twice tempered, knotted and double-offset to provide support that endures, even for those of a larger stature. This innerspring unit is combined with the unique Exceptional Edge perimeter edge reinforcement system, 66% stronger than typical premium edge systems. The result of this exceptional design is years of unrivaled body-aligning support and a true edge-to-edge sleep surface - you simply won’t wear out these springs.

In order to contribute to the durability required of every Exceptional Touch mattress set, the foundation also features a design that is equally as strong and durable as the mattress. A custom designed wood platform foundation uses three times the amount of wood as a normal foundation, providing years of uncompromising sleep set performance. The weight of this foundation is over 100 pounds in a queen size, so you may wish to consider ordering the full and queen sized foundations as splits if you plan on moving the sleep set frequently or if the item is to be carried up a staircase.

The Preston uses polyurethane foam that is twice as dense as most foams used in typical premium mattresses, providing exceptional comfort and durability. A double layer of high-resiliency 2.0 pound polyurethane foam is used in the quilt, with 2.5 pound foam being used in the deeper upholstery layer. These foams are rated as upholstery grade in their quality, and while they are extremely dense and durable, they maintain the characteristic of contouring support, not unlike premium latex foam. To achieve even more softness, the Preston adds 2" of premium Latex International talalay latex under the quilt panel to provide additional durable and plush comfort. Helping to hold everything together is the Tailormade Tufting process, where a cord is strung top to bottom by hand through the entire mattress, further solidifying and precompressing the foam and reducing artificial loft. This tufting process is another hallmark of an ultra premium mattress and it helps to extend sleep set comfort life.

All foam layers are CertiPUR-US certified and securely affixed to the support unit to ensure durability. Safe and healthy FiberSafe fiber is used to meet flame retardant guidelines instead of toxic chemicals. The Preston has a 20 year full warranty. This mattress set is made in the USA using 100% premium domestic components.[/quote]

I will have to see if they have any dealers close by. Yeah, a 100 pound base is heavy.

Hi jasonsmith,

The fire regulations that apply to mattresses in California are 16 CFR 1632 and 16 CFR 1633 which are federal regulations.

There are some revisions to TB 117 that applies to furniture that are being considered but they don’t apply to mattresses. There is also more here. Of course they are being opposed by the American Chemical Council.

California also has Prop 65 which restricts exposure to certain chemicals that can sometimes be found in mattresses and the list of chemicals is revised on an ongoing basis which means that manufacturers need to keep up to date with the list. It is often enforced by private civil actions and manufacturers need to stay up to date with any additions to the list or they can be hit with civil suits (see here and here).

I don’t know of any other pending regulations that apply to mattresses in California (although I’m no expert in the regulations) but if you have a link it may be of interest to some of the California forum members.

Phoenix

I had thought the California law had also applied to mattresses. And so what I had read is that the mattress companies went ahead and made them all California compliant.

http://www.sfgate.com/science/article/Flame-retardant-law-may-be-scaled-back-4264854.php

http://www.draxe.com/organic-mattresses-and-how-to-pick-the-healthiest-bed/

But whatever mattress I decide to go with. I’ll call the manufacturer to see if they ever make mattresses chemical free via a doctors note. I think I’ve read of some complying with whater law it is they have to via wool at the top layer of the mattress.

Which mattress brands offer fully chemical free mattresses or allow you to get a fully chemical free mattress via prescription? I will also look at that option as I’d like a chemical free mattress. And I’d assume most mattress manufacturers, including the independant ones probably get foam and materials that already have the flame retardant chemicals in them. So getting a prescription for chemical free mattress may not do any good depending on the manufacturer.

Hi jasonsmith,

I don’t keep a list of the specific mattresses or materials that each manufacturer makes because it would be impossible to keep up with but it would also depend on how you define “chemical free”.

Polyfoam and memory foam both are made with petrochemicals but many of them are certified for harmful substances or VOC’s through CertiPur. Most manufacturers make foam without flame retardants (although they also offer flame retardant foams as an option) because most mattresses use barrier fire retardant systems that don’t require flame retardant foam.

Synthetic fibers use chemicals in their production.

Synthetic fabrics use chemicals in their production.

Synthetic latex is made with petrochemicals but most latex is certified for harmful substances or VOC’s through OekoTex.

100% natural and organic latex can use up to about 5% chemicals (foaming agents, curing agents, soaps, gelling agents, accelerators, antioxidants, and others) to make the latex foam but it is also certified through OekoTex, Eco Institut or other similar certifications.

Solvent based glues contain chemicals but even latex based glues contain some chemicals.

The only chemical free fire barrier would be wool that didn’t use any chemicals because even the viscose/silica fire barriers use chemicals to make the viscose materials.

Most people would consider most of these these to be “safe” but if you wanted a mattress that didn’t have any chemicals of any kind regardless of whether any chemicals used were safe (and many are) then you would be limited to natural fibers (that didn’t use any chemicals in their production) and innersprings.

If safety is your concern rather than the actual use of chemicals of any kind then post #2 here can help you answer the question of “how safe is safe enough for me?” and which material certifications you are comfortable with.

Once you’ve decided which materials and fire retardant methods you are comfortable with then you could talk to local manufacturers or online manufacturers that made mattresses with these materials. If you don’t want any fire barriers or fire retardants at all … chemical or otherwise … then you could also ask them if they would make a mattress without any fire barriers or retardants with a prescription.

Phoenix

I would say I’d be more worried about the flame retardant chemicals.

I’ll call and check on the flame retardant free mattress, but I doubt this will be an easy option. As I’d say the mattress company gets materials that already have the flame retardant stuff in the material, vs. them applying it. So I doubt they’d special order flame retardant free materials. And if they did, it would probably cost too much extra.

Do you know of less expensive latex mattress options that you can try in the store? I think the latex mattresses tend to have less chemicals in them compared to a regular mattress.

Hi jasonsmith,

It would generally be the other way around and they’d have to order flame retardant foams and it would cost extra.

If you let me know your city or zip I’d be happy to let you know of any options I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix