Looking for a bedinabox Tranquility Gel bed alternative

Hi TidalWave,

I split your post into a new topic so your questions wouldn’t get mixed in with another members questions and topic.

[quote]But the Bed-In-A-Box Tranquility Gel mattress is less clear to me. I’m not sure where the 2.8lb polyfoam description comes from, as discussed above. Looking at the Bed-In-A-Box site, I’m seeing this:
"Our mattresses use only HR support foam with a rating of 24/32. That means a 2.4 lb density with a 32 IFD. "
And for the layer information:

• 3" CoolRest® Gel Infused Memory Foam (no idea what this is, but something in the 3-4lb density range***)
  • 8" High Resiliency Support Foam underneath (that’s the 2.4lb polyfoam?)[/quote]

I think you are referring to a reply about the Tuft & Needle mattress which uses 2.8 lb polyfoam in their top 3" comfort layer (which is a high quality and durable material) rather than a reply about the Bedinabox mattress which as you mentioned uses about 3 lb memory foam in their comfort layers (which is a lower quality and less durable material) and 2.4 lb polyfoam in their base layer (which is a high quality and durable material but is in the deeper layers which have less effect on durability).

You can see the foam density guidelines I would suggest in post #4 here. There is also more about Bedingabox in post #2 here. As you can see I would tend to avoid a mattress that has more than “about an inch or so” of lower quality materials including 3 lb memory foam unless you are in a very lowest budget ranges and there are no higher quality/density and more durable materials available.

The only way to compare two mattresses in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is based on your own personal testing and experience. There is also more in post #2 here about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them.

Comparing the durability of the materials in a mattress is much less subjective because the density of a foam material is the single biggest factor in its durability. I would consider 3 lb memory foam in layers more than “about an inch or so” to be a weak link in terms of durability and the Tempurpedic mattress clearly uses higher quality and more durable materials than the Bedinabox.

Phoenix