Looking for a bedinabox Tranquility Gel bed alternative

To add on to more research:

I went through all of the companies on the list, took out companies that don’t have memory foam beds (the majority are latex, which is great, but I believe my brother is looking for mem foam), and took out companies without shipping to Southern California / no return or harsh return policies.

I’ve narrowed it down to this list, with the top 3 the ones I’m really considering
-Tuft & Needle bed
-Dreamfoam / Brooklyn Bedding
-Select Foam Mattress

-Beloit Solace or mI-comfort
-Parklane The Glisan
-Quality Sleep Shop Katherine Gel
-Spindle Abscond (this one’s Latex, I know)
-Texas Mattress Makers Everest

If any of this are overly plush or you don’t think it’s a good fit for someone on the bigger side, please let me know. Also would love any other contenders you have in mind. Going to do more research and continue to report back

Hi eatrplaysleep,

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the more important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to buy a suitable mattress that is the best “match” in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

There is some information and guidelines for those that are in higher weight ranges in post #3 here and the posts it links to that will be helpful. The process would be exactly the same as for anyone else except they will generally need firmer mattresses and more durable materials than those that are in lighter weight ranges.

The mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of (in the optional online step).

I agree with you that having your brother make the purchase would be a much better option because there is no way to predict which mattress will be the best “match” for your brother in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) but if that’s not possible then I would at least make sure that you have a good return/exchange policy just in case the choice you make doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for the reply. I made my brother read the basic articles you sent as well, and then had him look through the mem foam list himself. He read great things about the tufts & needle mattress, who’s one of our MU partners. Could you shed some insight on why they didn’t make the list?

Hi eatplaysleep,

They are included in the list of the members here that sell mattresses online that is also linked in the tutorial but they aren’t included in the memory foam list because they aren’t a memory foam mattress and it doesn’t contain any memory foam.

You can read more about their materials and design in posts #2 and #6 here.

Phoenix

Just read those posts (as well as post #234). Very informative.

You mentioned that the top layer density is now about 3lbs, and you advise caution about the durability of specifically memory foam mattresses with only a 3lb (2.8 based off of their website) density top layer. since this isn’t memory foam, do you find this to be an issue for durability? I don’t think it is, but i think we’re pretty close to buying and am just looking for a sanity check.

Hi eatplaysleep,

As you mentioned it isn’t memory foam so the polyfoam guidelines would apply and I wouldn’t have any issues with the durability of 2.8 lb polyfoam which is a very high quality material (although the same density in memory foam would be a much lower quality and less durable material).

Phoenix

*** SPLIT into a new topic from the original reply to post #8 here ***

I apologize for butting into this discussion, but I’ve been reading various information on the site while trying to decide between a few different mattresses I’ve mostly settled on. I am looking for a medium-firm mattress, but price AND durability are a factor. I’ve found that I can buy a Bed-In-A-Box Tranquility Gel and a Tempur-Pedic Contour Elite (on clearance at $1250) for ~the same price ($48 difference), and both are my current top choices, having crossed off a number of other contenders.

I’ve found a description of probable Tempur-Pedic’s Contour Elite layers on this site (thank you, Phoenix):
1.2" Tempur HD 7.1 LB
2.3" Tempur Material 5.3 LB
Dual Airflow system
4.5" Airflow Polyfoam Base layer 2.0 LB

But the Bed-In-A-Box Tranquility Gel mattress is less clear to me. I’m not sure where the 2.8lb polyfoam description comes from, as discussed above. Looking at the Bed-In-A-Box site, I’m seeing this:
"Our mattresses use only HR support foam with a rating of 24/32. That means a 2.4 lb density with a 32 IFD. "
And for the layer information:

• 3" CoolRest® Gel Infused Memory Foam (made of some kind of BASF Pluracol® Polyol material in the 3lb density range***)
  • 8" High Resiliency Support Foam underneath (that’s the 2.4lb polyfoam?)

***I’m taking this information out of this page: BedInABox® Official Store - The Original Mattress In A Box
[color=#000044]"High quality, American-made 3 lb. to 4 lb. density memory foam is probably the best all-around density for a mattress because it is durable, builds up less heat and rebounds more quickly and smoothly to keep from waking you up.

Our memory foam is a BASF creation which is a special type of new generation memory foam that is designed to provide the perfect blend of Density and softness."
[/color]
And also here it explicitly says 3 lb 3" CoolRest® Gel memory foam:
http://bettersleepcenters.us/tranquility-gel-with-natural-tencel/

So anyway, I don’t know how to compare these two mattresses in terms of durability and comfort (things like how much sinking and contouring each mattress does in the long run and in the temporary period of a few hours, and also temperature regulation.) Bed-In-A-Box claims that its top foam layer performs more evenly across different room temperatures too. The Bed-In-A-Box seems to have a better support layer material (?), but no idea how to go about comparing the top layers. Do you think one of these mattresses is better in quality and durability than another, given equal price?

I apologize for butting into this discussion, but I’ve been reading various information on the site while trying to decide between a few different mattresses I’ve mostly settled on. I am looking for a medium-firm mattress, but price AND durability are a factor. I’ve found that I can buy a Bed-In-A-Box Tranquility Gel and a Tempur-Pedic Contour Elite (on clearance at $1250) for ~the same price ($48 difference), and both are my current top choices, having crossed off a number of other contenders.

I’ve found a description of probable Tempur-Pedic’s Contour Elite layers on this site (thank you, Phoenix):
1.2" Tempur HD 7.1 LB
2.3" Tempur Material 5.3 LB
Dual Airflow system

But the Bed-In-A-Box Tranquility Gel mattress is less clear to me. I’m not sure where the 2.8lb polyfoam description comes from, as discussed above. Looking at the Bed-In-A-Box site, I’m seeing this:
"Our mattresses use only HR support foam with a rating of 24/32. That means a 2.4 lb density with a 32 IFD. "

• 3" CoolRest® Gel Infused Memory Foam (made of some kind of BASF Pluracol® Polyol material in the 3lb density range***)
  • 8" High Resiliency Support Foam underneath (that’s the 2.4lb polyfoam?)

***I’m taking this information out of this page: www.bedinabox.com/memory-foam-mattress-d...ty-and-softness.html
"High quality, American-made 3 lb. to 4 lb. density memory foam is probably the best all-around density for a mattress because it is durable, builds up less heat and rebounds more quickly and smoothly to keep from waking you up.

Our memory foam is a BASF creation which is a special type of new generation memory foam that is designed to provide the perfect blend of Density and softness."

And also here it explicitly says 3 lb 3" CoolRest® Gel memory foam:
bettersleepcenters.us/tranquility-gel-with-natural-tencel/

So anyway, I don’t know how to compare these two mattresses in terms of durability and comfort (things like how much sinking and contouring each mattress does in the long run and in the temporary period of a few hours, and also temperature regulation.) Bed-In-A-Box claims that its top foam layer performs more evenly across different room temperatures too. The Bed-In-A-Box seems to have a better support layer material (?), but no idea how to go about comparing the top layers. Do you think one of these mattresses is better in quality and durability than another, given equal price?

(And really, maybe I should just be considering the Bed-In-A-Box PacBed Original Gel, as it’s identical to the Tranquility Gel in the same thickness configuration, except for the fabric cover, at the difference of $700 in price! I’m frankly extremely confused that the Tencel covering can account for such a difference in price.

Hi TidalWave,

I split your post into a new topic so your questions wouldn’t get mixed in with another members questions and topic.

[quote]But the Bed-In-A-Box Tranquility Gel mattress is less clear to me. I’m not sure where the 2.8lb polyfoam description comes from, as discussed above. Looking at the Bed-In-A-Box site, I’m seeing this:

• 3" CoolRest® Gel Infused Memory Foam (no idea what this is, but something in the 3-4lb density range***)
  • 8" High Resiliency Support Foam underneath (that’s the 2.4lb polyfoam?)[/quote]

I think you are referring to a reply about the Tuft & Needle mattress which uses 2.8 lb polyfoam in their top 3" comfort layer (which is a high quality and durable material) rather than a reply about the Bedinabox mattress which as you mentioned uses about 3 lb memory foam in their comfort layers (which is a lower quality and less durable material) and 2.4 lb polyfoam in their base layer (which is a high quality and durable material but is in the deeper layers which have less effect on durability).

You can see the foam density guidelines I would suggest in post #4 here. There is also more about Bedingabox in post #2 here. As you can see I would tend to avoid a mattress that has more than “about an inch or so” of lower quality materials including 3 lb memory foam unless you are in a very lowest budget ranges and there are no higher quality/density and more durable materials available.

The only way to compare two mattresses in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is based on your own personal testing and experience. There is also more in post #2 here about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them.

Comparing the durability of the materials in a mattress is much less subjective because the density of a foam material is the single biggest factor in its durability. I would consider 3 lb memory foam in layers more than “about an inch or so” to be a weak link in terms of durability and the Tempurpedic mattress clearly uses higher quality and more durable materials than the Bedinabox.

Phoenix

Thank you, I’ve definitely gathered that higher density memory foams are preferable for the top layers. This promotional page from Bed-In-A-Box definitely confused the matters for me, however, as without knowing the actual material properties, I think it might not be as straightforward of a comparison to just go by densities? (but then again, it’s information provided by the manufacturer, so it’s in their best interests to present their products in the best light):

Specifically, this is what B-i-a-B claim:

"There is such a thing as too much density. The main complaint of memory foam mattress owners is that the foam gets too hot or that it takes too long to rebound when turning over – interrupting sleep. These are the direct results of too much density. Mattresses with 5 lb. density and greater are commonly cited as being too “gooey” when warmed by the body and exhibit the problems just cited. Another reason higher density foams perform poorly is because of older memory foam technology.

*** If a company is using outdated foam technology, their foam will stiffen when left in an area cooler than 60 degrees. Our foam will not stiffen. "

"Memory foam density and softness numbers may not necessarily be a good way to determine memory foam quality. The chemicals which are used to make memory foam can vary greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer and even from “pour” to “pour”.

The U.S. is currently being flooded with Chinese memory foam that is supposed to have adequate density such as “5.3lb” but which tends to exhibit poor characteristics. These characteristics include slowness to rebound, getting harder as the room temperature gets cooler, heat build-up after laying on it for a while and chemical smells. These smells are often caused by chemicals and take a very long time to dissipate from the mattress and may be harmful and even carcinogenic. There are no regulations on the purity and safety of Chinese or any other memory foam. Even though it is inexpensive, there may be a health price to pay."

(Regarding the smell, I know both Tempurpedic and Bed-in-a-Box are not rated well on SLTD for outgasing properties, so that’s probably a wash).

I should have specified that it was not the subjective comfort difference that I was looking to find information on, but rather the rebound properties of the materials in Tempur-Pedic’s Contour Elite and B-i-a-B’s 3" gel foam + 8" polyfoam mattresses. Basically which will retain its shape with regular rotation better after 1-2-5 years, and which will be better for changing sleep position–I mean say you sleep in one position for 2 hours, and the foam molds around you very well, and when you try to change position, the depressed points don’t reinflate quickly enough, such that there are heavy dips in some areas.

It sounds like you’re mostly recommending the Tempur-Pedic Contour Elite? I can’t tell if that at $1250 for Queen is going to be long-term better than B-i-a-B for $800-$1300 ($500 difference for the Tencel covering???)

Hi Tidalwave,

I’ve read their site and my comments about the accuracy of what they say are in the post I linked in my previous reply.

[quote]I should have specified that it was not the subjective comfort difference that I was looking to find information on, but rather the rebound properties of the materials in Tempur-Pedic’s Contour Elite and B-i-a-B’s 3" gel foam + 8" polyfoam mattresses. Basically which will retain its shape with regular rotation better after 1-2-5 years, and which will be better for changing sleep position–I mean say you sleep in one position for 2 hours, and the foam molds around you very well, and when you try to change position, the depressed points don’t reinflate quickly enough, such that there are heavy dips in some areas.

It sounds like you’re mostly recommending the Tempur-Pedic Contour Elite? I can’t tell if that at $1250 for Queen is going to be long-term better than B-i-a-B for $800-$1300 ($500 difference for the Tencel covering???) [/quote]

While I don’t recommend any specific mattress, the only reliable way to assess anything that is connected to how a mattress “feels” to you or how it compares to another mattress (including the rebound or response speed of a mattress) will be based on your actual testing and experience because these are much more subjective and variable for each person and can vary greatly depending on how all the materials in a mattress interact with different body types and sleeping positions of different people and even with external conditions such as the temperature in the bedroom. In terms of durability and maintaining the comfort and support of the mattress over time the Tempurpedic would clearly be the more durable choice.

I haven’t personally slept on a bedinabox mattress so I don’t know how the temperature sensitivity or response speed of either mattress would compare for me in side by side comparisons but if I had to I would guess that the Tempurpedic would be more temperature sensitive and slower responding than the BIAB mattress because the memory foam is a higher density although a conversation with BIAB would be a much more reliable source of guidance about how their mattresses feel and respond compared to any of the Tempurpedic models than I would because they would be more familiar with the feel and response of their mattresses than I am.

Phoenix

Thank you again. Do you happen to have a pointer as to the composition / properties of Tempur HD 7.1 LB and Tempur Material 5.3 LB in terms of whether it is sourced from Asia or locally made? And some composition / outgasing properties? I think I saw in one of my searches that their materials are not explicitly listed as its CertiPur (or any other similar) certified? Your guides point to different foam manufacturers, but it’s not always easy to find which foam brand is used by a mattress maker in their products (Tempur-Pedic doesn’t provide any information at all).

Hi TidalWave,

Foam manufacturers don’t disclose the specifics of the chemical formula they use so this information wouldn’t be available for any memory foam material but they have a pouring facility in the US where their memory foam is manufactured.

The only reliable way to assess the “safety” of a material is based on any certifications they have in terms of harmful substances and VOC’s and while for most people their memory foam would be “safe enough” … Tempurpedic is not CertiPUR certified and doesn’t have any specific safety certifications I’m aware of and anecdotally they have the most complaints about their smell and sensitivities to their material but they are also the most widely sold memory foam mattress as well so some of the frequency of complaints would be the result of the sheer number of mattresses they sell.

Phoenix

True, though according to the review statistics gathered by Sleep Like The Dead, Bed-In-A-Box has 15% of its customers reporting the odor issue vs. 18% for Tempur-Pedic. B-i-a-B has CertiPur certification, yet the number of odor reports is statistically similar. Not sure if odor is a direct indicator of VOC content or if there are less harmful outgassing components that smell but are considered okay.
This is one of those gray areas… I’m surprised though that Tempur-Pedic hasn’t made any effort to assert its products’ safety, considering that they still haven’t really responded to the class action suit brought against them for allegedly high VOC content. It seems that if they had information about the safety, enough to refute the allegations, they’d have advertised it more instead of being completely silent on the topic. All that environmentally- and health-friendly endorsment stuff helps sell products.

Hi TidalWave,

Small can be an indication of VOC’s (fruits for example have VOC’s) but don’t indicate whether or not a VOC is harmful. Some harmful VOC’s have little to no odor and some odors are not harmful at all.

These types of “safety” issues are a very complex subject with a lack of clear and definitive answers. There is more information in post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and help answer “how safe is safe enough for me” so you can decide on the types of materials you are most comfortable having in your mattress. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices.

Phoenix

Thank you, I will have a look! I am now also considering a latex SleepEZ Natural 7000 as an alternative and reading about that too. Going to look for a latex mattress store locally to get some idea of a latex mattress, though I might well not find any :frowning: Leaning toward trying a firm Talalay Blend bottom layer with a medium Talalay Blend top, split–in case we want to exchange one of the sides for a different variety.

Hi TidalWave,

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area where you may be able to test some latex.

Phoenix

Oh, that’d be great!! It is Boston, Massachusetts (02215). Thanks very much!

Hi TidalWave,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Boston area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

You are fortunate to live in the area and there are many good options (including latex mattresses) that are available to you.

Phoenix

Excellent, thank you! I’ll stop at a couple of those places tomorrow :slight_smile: