Looking for a "build your mattress" store around or near Savannah Ga, natural latex

Hi. I desperately need a new mattress. Right now I’m sleeping on a Sealy latex (blended, not even sure if it’a all latex, but was sold as such). This mattress started giving me back pain about three years ago, and I’ve been very confused since then what to get. I was going to go for a Serta iComfort, but I believe they have petrochemicals, and I have a high chemical insensitivity, and also have a chronic illness, so I’d prefer more natural. I didn’t buy a FloBeds before because of the price, they’re so expensive, more than twice what I paid for my Sealy (which I now wish I’d gone with FloBeds).

So, I’ve had two back surgeries, and I now get pain around my shoulders and hips because the mattress feels too hard. This is the firmest mattress they had, and at the time it was great. (I started out with the plusher model, and it KILLED me, but I think it was the way the topping was sewn, and not the softness).) I recently tried a sleep number bed, thinking my “number” would be very high, but it was around 40-45, which shocked me. I’ve also tried using a memory foam topper, and that doesn’t really work either. So I’m thinking I need a latex firm base with a softer latex topping. I’ve been reading about the different kinds of latex, and since Latex Green now makes an organic dunlop, I’m thinking that should be the base and middle, firm and medium, with maybe a soft all natural talalay top, or a soft dunlop top, instead of medium. I’m 5’4" and my weight fluctuates between about 130 -140. I used to only sleep on my back, all night, and was very comfortable, but now I toss and turn, going from, to side, to back, to other side.

I almost bought a mattress from Foam Sweet Foam Tuesday, but I really want to lay on one first. (They had a great sale going on, and I hate that I missed out on it.) They do have one free exchange, with a 30 year non-prorated warranty (the best I’ve seen anywhere), and they’ve been around for a long time, longer than most other latex mattress companies. I can also get a different configuration on both sides of the bed, which means I’d have more flexibility as to what firmness/softness to get, and switch the sections around until I find the one I like best, but I’m not sure how much I would have to pay for another layer if at some point my sleeping habits change, or the top needs to be replaced. FloBeds tells you this up front, but their warranty is pro-rated.

I really want to test this first. There are two Saavy Rest dealers in Charleston, and I’m willing to make the drive to test the mattresses, and they also have both the organic dunlop and the natural talalay, same as Foam Sweet Foam. Do you know of any other “build your own” latex stores near my area where I can try out the different foams/configurations? I live in Savannah GA. (I really wish there was a store here, and it’s surprising to me there isn’t, but I’m not aware of one.)

Also, I was wondering why Foam Sweet Foam isn’t on your recommended list? I’ve seen you say good things about them, but they don’t have the “mattress underground recommendation” label. Which other companies do you recommend that allow the freedom (of building your mattress on both sides) along with such a great warranty? And can you explain the difference between companies like SleepEZ, FloBeds, Saavy Rest and Foam Sweet Foam? (besides the apparent difference of how long they’ve been in business.)

Thanks bunches.

Hi jazzycat,

Some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in your area (and in Charleston, Columbia, and Hilton Head) are listed in post #2 here.

While there are latex mattresses available in your area … none of them are component mattresses that I’m aware of either but there are several of these available in the Charleston area (including one of the members of this site).

I’ve talked with Scott from Foam Sweet Foam on many occasions and as you mentioned I do think highly of them but there are many manufacturers or retailers around the country that I think highly of and that are included in various forum lists around the forum that for various reasons haven’t yet chosen or decided that the timing was right (or in some cases been invited) to become a member … yet. There was another reply here yesterday that had the same question about another manufacturer. (NOTE: They are now a member of this site).

The mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to the members here that sell online which includes many that make or sell a wide range of latex or latex hybrid mattresses (including component mattresses) with different designs, options, features, and benefits in different price ranges.

They all make mattresses that use high quality materials (different types and blends of latex) and that have no “weak links” in their designs but they all have different options, designs, prices, and return or exchange policies. Savvy Rest is sold factory direct but also through a larger group of retailers across the country so they provide the option to test their mattresses in person for more people (for the others you would need to be local to the manufacturer) but they are also in a higher price range and the level of knowledge and experience at each Savvy Rest retailer may vary. All the others are factory direct and are all knowledgeable and experienced and provide good service and guidance to their customers. There is more in post #13 here about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase but outside of the specific differences between the designs and materials and pricing with each of their mattresses … the differences between them would depend on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix